Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:10 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,369,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
New England seems to celebrate seafood more than any other region.

Of course it's gonna be big in any coastal area. The Gulf coast has a rich culinary tradition, too, of course.
Hows that? I'm not familiar with NE.
I mentioned both because both have seafood delicacies, as well as the poor who rely on seafood to survive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I love sashimi. I go for sushi here in Chicago and get it at least once a week. The place I normally go loves me, and gives us up to 40 pieces when we get the 20 piece plate I could eat it every day.

Sushi and raw fish have gotten a lot more popular the past 10-15 years when you can basically fly fresh fish in within hours to almost any restaurant in the country.

My hometown of Iowa City had one Japanese steakhouse growing up, and I just looked and they now have 13 sushi restaurants. I went to one of them last time I was home, it was packed and had good food. I asked the manager how they get their fish, and he said they have multiple distributors who load up fish at different points and immediately make the 10 hour drive to the Midwest and unload them at the restaurant. They have a few shipments a week so the fish is always as fresh as possible. The place I go to in Chicago has it come in on a plane from the distributors and trucked to his restaurant, so it's as fresh as possible and never frozen.

One of the things that surprised me most was seeing a flatbed truck in Iowa City selling all sorts of shellfish to people downtown. Turns out this guy lives along the gulf coast and will load up his truck with shellfish straight from the water, leave at 9pm and arrive in Iowa City at 9am to sell it to people. He then makes stops in towns to the north of Iowa City and then heads back home to Louisiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 03:16 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,895,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Hows that? I'm not familiar with NE.
I mentioned both because both have seafood delicacies, as well as the poor who rely on seafood to survive.
I'm not sure that seafood is really a poor food in all regions. In New England, for example, the two staples are cod and clams, but certainly in the case of cod, and to a lesser extent clams, over fishing has really limited supply, driving up the price. Cod is now one of the most expensive fish, whereas it was indeed once a staple for lower income families.

As for your question about how it is in New England, I can best answer by comparing it with my experiences in California, also a big seafood region. In California, fish is popular, but it is not the center point of local cuisine. In New England, not only is it a major food element, it is also a major cultural element. If you think about the Groton's fisherman, that is an image from Gloucester Massachusetts, one that is very much alive and well today. Fishing isn't just something that happens here, it is a major industry. There is a giant codfish hanging in the gallery of the Massachusetts statehouse, and the coast of New England is even shaped like the face of a cod (Cape Cod got it's name for geography, not for the fishing grounds). This level of cultural connection is not found in California. I suspect you'll see something similar in some of the gulf coast communities and the Pacific Northwest, but probably not anywhere else.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:29 AM

62 posts, read 159,965 times
Nc

Old 05-06-2012, 10:21 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,887,837 times
Maryland. Where do you think this comes from?

Old 05-06-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
I'm not sure that seafood is really a poor food in all regions. In New England, for example, the two staples are cod and clams, but certainly in the case of cod, and to a lesser extent clams, over fishing has really limited supply, driving up the price. Cod is now one of the most expensive fish, whereas it was indeed once a staple for lower income families.

As for your question about how it is in New England, I can best answer by comparing it with my experiences in California, also a big seafood region. In California, fish is popular, but it is not the center point of local cuisine. In New England, not only is it a major food element, it is also a major cultural element. If you think about the Groton's fisherman, that is an image from Gloucester Massachusetts, one that is very much alive and well today. Fishing isn't just something that happens here, it is a major industry. There is a giant codfish hanging in the gallery of the Massachusetts statehouse, and the coast of New England is even shaped like the face of a cod (Cape Cod got it's name for geography, not for the fishing grounds). This level of cultural connection is not found in California. I suspect you'll see something similar in some of the gulf coast communities and the Pacific Northwest, but probably not anywhere else.
Not for poor people. A region where seafood is a staple of culture will have people eating seafood on a day to day basis and it's not always the wealthy. I don't think California is an option here (sans the Asian population). The gulf coast too has a huge fishing industry that rivals, if not surpasses, that of New England.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:15 PM

134 posts, read 243,547 times
Puget Sound area of Washington State. No contest.

New England is 2nd. Lots and lots and lots of seafood consumed, but the variety seems to be "fish & chips", lobster, and clam chowder....and that's generally it.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:03 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,027,294 times
Northwest - Seattle

Northeast - Maine, New England

East Coast - Maryland

West Coast - San Francisco

Gulf Coast - Texas, Louisiana, Florida

Old 05-07-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOC1 View Post
Puget Sound area of Washington State. No contest.

New England is 2nd. Lots and lots and lots of seafood consumed, but the variety seems to be "fish & chips", lobster, and clam chowder....and that's generally it.
Puget sound, no contest?!

Old 05-07-2012, 08:01 AM

5,006 posts, read 9,186,558 times
The entire Gulf Coast is king in seafood ! No one can do seafood like the Gulf Coast.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:03 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,694,749 times
One area that has been ignored so far in this thread is Georgia/South Carolina coast and Sea Islands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.