Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 06:17 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,451,543 times

Advertisements

All of my life, I have had sensitive skin, and had to be careful with bath products, laundry detergents, and even some materials up against my skin.

For the past several months now, I seem to have hives, on a continual basis, and can find no rhyme or reason. It is muck like they are just there, and a trigger unbeknownst to me, will erupt them. It has been the strangest thing.

I am seeing the dermatologist towards the end of this week, and am not sure what to expect. I am going to have a place in my hairline looked at -- too many years of tanning, and I don't let things go unchecked. This, however, has me a bit baffled. Nothing in my diet has changed, nothing in my environment -- nothing new to worry over. No new, or different meds.

I have not been out of my own little environment, no trips, vacations, or the like, to have contracted something.

Anyone else ever experience any thing like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 10:10 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,027,646 times
I had a similar experience when we moved from Texas to California. It went away when I moved out of the Central Valley.

I took Benadryl and it helped. I found out later that it is also a sleep aid. That explains why I slept through my senior year in school.

If you keep having problems I would try a homeopathic allergy remedy. Chances are the dermatologist will be looking for allergies.

Good luck. I can sympathize with what you are going through.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:51 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,451,330 times
Maybe something in one of your soaps has changed ingredients in its formula?
Good Luck.
Maybe try switching to a laundry soap like All free clear or I think tide has one as well. Or just double rinsing. the clothes

Old 07-02-2008, 09:13 PM

651 posts, read 1,417,139 times
My sister has been battling this problem for several years. Her allergist has determined that her hives are not due to allergies but are an auto-immune response. Stress and exercise appear to trigger her hives. She has tried treatment after treatment to conquer this problem. She is now on immuno-suppressant therapy which initially seemed to be working but, unfortunately, the hives are now returning. She is now looking into changing her diet. Preservatives and dyes in foods are suspected to build up in the body and could possibly be a causal factor.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:24 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,946,770 times
As Maia has stated not all hives (the technical name is urticaria) are due to an allergy. You should ask your internist to refer you to an immunologist or allergist for further evaluation.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
My sister has been battling this problem for several years. Her allergist has determined that her hives are not due to allergies but are an auto-immune response. Stress and exercise appear to trigger her hives. She has tried treatment after treatment to conquer this problem. She is now on immuno-suppressant therapy which initially seemed to be working but, unfortunately, the hives are now returning. She is now looking into changing her diet. Preservatives and dyes in foods are suspected to build up in the body and could possibly be a causal factor.
Aha! You may be on to something -- thank you. I know I am compromised in respect to the auto-immune system. I will run this by the dermatologist when I see her today for something in my hairline, and I will ask my PCP when I see him the end of the month.

I had completely overlooked the possibility of an auto-immune response. That makes sense, when nothing else has apparently changed. Of course, making sure formulas for things haven't changed is a good suggestion, too. I am always on the lookout for those ad campaigns touting something I use regularly, as new and improved! In my personal situation, it generally isn't.

Thanks much for the feedback, all of you. I am now "armed and dangerous" as I head to the DR's today.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:35 PM

Default Allegra prescribed for the hives

The dermatologist looked at my back, ran her finger across it, and had the PA note I was 'positive' for hives -- at least she used the medical term, which escapes me at the moment. Like I don't know what hives are, or can see them for myself? Aarrgghh -- doctors.

She says there are almost too many reasons for hives to cover in a visit, and suggested perhaps an allergist, which I had decided was probably the best way to go, myself. In the meanwhile, she gave me a prescription for Allegra, but I have it on-file at the pharmacy, and chose to wait upon filling it. The hives are aggravating, but at least I am not itching and/or scratching 24/7.

I did think to ask the pharmacist if he thought I could be reacting to any of my regular medications, which he thought highly unlikely -- but you know, who's to say when the allergy might show itself? Well, now I have a mystery on my hands. I am scheduled for a visit with my PCP soon, so I'll run it by him.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:10 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,451,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
The dermatologist looked at my back, ran her finger across it, and had the PA note I was 'positive' for hives -- at least she used the medical term, which escapes me at the moment. Like I don't know what hives are, or can see them for myself? Aarrgghh -- doctors.

She says there are almost too many reasons for hives to cover in a visit, and suggested perhaps an allergist, which I had decided was probably the best way to go, myself. In the meanwhile, she gave me a prescription for Allegra, but I have it on-file at the pharmacy, and chose to wait upon filling it. The hives are aggravating, but at least I am not itching and/or scratching 24/7.

I did think to ask the pharmacist if he thought I could be reacting to any of my regular medications, which he thought highly unlikely -- but you know, who's to say when the allergy might show itself? Well, now I have a mystery on my hands. I am scheduled for a visit with my PCP soon, so I'll run it by him.
Zyrtec works really well for me and is otc now. You are also right about allergies suddenly appearing and might just be auto-immune related. I suddenly became allergic to things I had used my whole life meds, food, cosmetics.
I do hope that you sort this out. Good Luck

Old 10-01-2008, 12:31 PM

3 posts, read 16,622 times
I have been battling hives since Feb of '08. My doctors have yet to determine the cause. I typically get them on my forarms, shoulders and back. In January I had a pretty bad sinus infection and was treated with antibiotics. I would typically get sinus infections twice/year and one time it turned into bronchitis. All cases were treated with antibiotics. I have also been under a lot of stress from losing my job in Oct of '07. So my thought is that in addition to the bad infection and the stress of losing my job I now have an immune system issue. Does anyone else have any thoughts to this? I to recently became allergic to certain foods that I never had an issue with before. Any thoughts on immuno-suppressant therapy? How does that work, what do you do, etc.. I appreciate any help with this. The hives are driving me nuts and I'm getting sick and tired of always having them.

Thanks!

Old 10-01-2008, 03:05 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,533,060 times
Is anybody a heavy artificial sweetener user? There is a topic here about being allergic to them; I'd suggest you start there first; could be a lot cheaper than seeing doctor after doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness