Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 10:25 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Maybe that whole wheat pasta was too good to be true. I didn't buy any more today. I got beans, asparagus, tomatoes, eggs.
Here's the thing: it's better than regular pasta (a little) and you are using it as a vehicle to eat lots of veggies, which is good. Turn it into veggies with pasta instead of pasta with veggies (invert the ratios). Lots of garlic, lots of fresh herbs and you are well on your way to making it healthier.

You can add protein with a nice sausage or pan frying a chicken breast.

The barrier I see for you is your need for "quick" and dislike of cooking.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Once again you are stating what you thinks works for everyone when that is simply not true.

I do not do well on a low/no carb diet. I feel full when I eat whole grains. I do not eat simple carbs as in baked sweets or fast food, or even prepackaged foods.
Not only did I lose weight successfully I am able to keep it off eating as I do.

There is NO one size fits all diet out there.

Exactly. If I eat low carb? My RA flares up, my FM flares up and I feel horrible. Of course, like you, I don't stuff my face with simple carbs to begin with.

I love Greger, (NutrionFacts.org, podcasts) and I trust him when he talks, I've heard him come down on all sides of the issues - why? Because he just goes on science, he reads and judges the qualities of all the nutrition studies, and shares his knowledge. I just finished his book How Not To Die, and learned a lot, and a lot supported my current view of nutrition.

Lots of veggies, fruits, whole grains, herbs and spices. Variety, variety, variety.

I just came back from Maui which is my favorite island, and in large part due to wonderful locally grown produce and food scene. My first trip is to the farmer's market to buy anything I've never eaten before, so this year I probably got to dine at least 5 news things. We had a huge salad every evening with like 15 ingredients.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:10 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
I love pasta but it loves me back! No doubt it's cheap and it fills you up. Just like bread and rice. But as far as real food value, nutrition VS calories, it is lacking. Not much in pasta, whole wheat or not, that has a lot of food value.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:58 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Exactly. If I eat low carb? My RA flares up, my FM flares up and I feel horrible. Of course, like you, I don't stuff my face with simple carbs to begin with.

I love Greger, (NutrionFacts.org, podcasts) and I trust him when he talks, I've heard him come down on all sides of the issues - why? Because he just goes on science, he reads and judges the qualities of all the nutrition studies, and shares his knowledge. I just finished his book How Not To Die, and learned a lot, and a lot supported my current view of nutrition.

Lots of veggies, fruits, whole grains, herbs and spices. Variety, variety, variety.

I just came back from Maui which is my favorite island, and in large part due to wonderful locally grown produce and food scene. My first trip is to the farmer's market to buy anything I've never eaten before, so this year I probably got to dine at least 5 news things. We had a huge salad every evening with like 15 ingredients.
Maui is my favorite island too for the reasons you have as well, besides every other wonderful thing there!

Variety is the spice of life they say. And of course moderation.

I dont ever want to look at any food and say to myself that I cannot eat that. The Mediterranean diet is the diet that usually gets the most kudos and that is the way I eat and it sounds like the way you eat as well.

Old 04-18-2019, 01:24 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
In your myopic view, maybe. Yes, they are used for weight loss but their benefits go way beyond that. Many do it for weight loss at first but then keep at it for health, that's a given. Some, believe it or not, do it just for health and are not even overweight. Some even do it for fitness and working out and I'm talking about Keto which is a form of LC. I could provide examples, there are many. I won't bother though, no need. It certainly will not convince you.
Your view is just as "myopic" as mine, but on the opposing side . Pot meet kettle. How long have we been through this, huh? It's kinda funny. Nice job cherry picking one sentence from my post

It's largely for weight loss my friend, think what you want.

Old 04-18-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Everything you have said so far is very true....ppl just don't WANT to know.....and justify a poor diet because it doesn't affect THEM, but little do they know.

A lot of good health also depends on your gut bacteria and poor diet high in the wrong carbs, can kill your gut bacteria...in fact most of us is missing bacteria that is now gone from us. This is the reason why have allergies, chronic diarrhea or constipation, increases in rectal and colon cancer, and some researchers are even saying the high increase of autism and possibly ADHD.

High carbs of all kinds- including beans, whole grains, pasta, rice, potatoes will cause obesity and/ or diabetes...simple as that. You can eat them as a TREAT once in a while. save the potatoes for Thanksgiving dinner (etc), save the rice for the occasional outing for Chinese food with the family or friends.

You wouldn't eat spoonfuls of sugar at every meal - hopefully- so why refined carbs? Your body sees NO difference in a spoonful of sugar or a potato. It sends out insulin. Your pancreas gets "overused" and the serum insulin gets stored as fat.

Most ppl do not get enough proteins and good fats- Olive and avocado oils, grass fed butter, lard, and too many carbs. A diet high in protein and fats has been shown to reduce the risk of Alzheimer's. Alzheimer's is now being called Diabetes type 3, because it is now the cause is believed to be diet related.
LOL, now you come back around full circle.......

My diet isn't poor just because it doesn't align with yours' and gguerras. That's kind of ridiculous. Just like saying that "high carbs like beans whole grains pasta rice blah blah... will cause obesity". Your position is all over the place here.....you say that carbs are bad...then you say well carbs aren't inherently bad, it's just that people have a hard time dealing with them these days, then you agree that it's refined carbs that are "bad"..and now we're back to all "carbs are bad!!" and once again preaching your narrow diet and labeling others' as poor.

You stick to your thing, I'll stick to mine. I don't have bathroom problems, weight problems, or any of the other things food wingnuts spout. According to my doctor, I'm pretty healthy. We all need to worry about cancer. There's not one person who should be smug and think that they have a lower risk, regardless of what they eat. Cancer attacks "healthy" people as well and I pray to God I don't get it. I put no faith in camps talking about cancer risk because it changes constantly. Though the consensus remains to eat less red meat, more fiber, vegetables, and fruit.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...t/art-20048478

btw, beans are good for you.

Last edited by riaelise; 04-18-2019 at 01:47 PM..

Old 04-18-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I love pasta but it loves me back! No doubt it's cheap and it fills you up. Just like bread and rice. But as far as real food value, nutrition VS calories, it is lacking. Not much in pasta, whole wheat or not, that has a lot of food value.
I know my pasta provides me B vitamins and fiber. I eat a cup of it, which is what most people should be eating.

Old 04-18-2019, 05:20 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,711,373 times
I think everyone is different and you have to do what is best for your body type. For me, eating a low carb (stay away from processed type including processed sugars) diet with lean protein and a decent amount of good fats is best for me. I do eat quite a bit of Cauliflower low carb products and I also take fiber powder daily. I use a good quality liquid multi vitamin and barleans liquid fish oil. I take collagen for my joints and it seems to be working for me. I also snack on raw mixed nuts and if I want something sweet I normally just chew xylitol gum. To loose weight I've ditch the car for short trip and started riding my Bike again and its actually been fun.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Maui is my favorite island too for the reasons you have as well, besides every other wonderful thing there!

Variety is the spice of life they say. And of course moderation.

I dont ever want to look at any food and say to myself that I cannot eat that. The Mediterranean diet is the diet that usually gets the most kudos and that is the way I eat and it sounds like the way you eat as well.
Yes, I believe we do have similar views on food and nutrition.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:08 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
There are 12 pages of posts (so far) in the thread and is often the case, the topic has veered away from the OP's question on pasta, so obviously I am not responding to the OP....
Not for everyone there's not. I only have 4 pages of posts because I have my settings set for 40 posts per page.

Quote:
In your myopic view, maybe. Yes, they are used for weight loss but their benefits go way beyond that. Many do it for weight loss at first but then keep at it for health, that's a given. Some, believe it or not, do it just for health and are not even overweight. Some even do it for fitness and working out and I'm talking about Keto which is a form of LC. I could provide examples, there are many. I won't bother though, no need. It certainly will not convince you.
How sublimely ironic. You have a narrowly-focused view of this subject just as you have a narrowly-focused view of how many pages of posts there are. Not everyone sees things as you do and your view is not shared by all.

This applies to both how you view threads on City-Data as well as how you view carbohydrates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness