Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 03:44 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,426,662 times

Advertisements

I like the idea of low-carb diets, not for losing weight but just for health. However, recently I have found that the cheapest, easiest, most convenient thing to eat is whole wheat pasta. You can make all kinds of good-tasting things with it.

So I have been doing this for maybe a couple of weeks or so. I feel ok. Saving a lot of money and time. Getting plenty of calories for minimal cost.

Having a carb base for the diet is so common -- rice in Asia, bread in Europe, pasta in Italy. And I can see why.

Does anyone here think it's a bad mistake to eat a lot of carbs? I am not talking about worrying about getting fat because I exercise and I don't worry about that. I am talking about health in general.

I would rather be on the paleo diet but that is expensive and too much trouble, because I don't like spending a lot of time cooking.

And at least it's whole wheat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 03:51 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,827,154 times
Grains are great as long as they are whole grains with the bran intact. I think saying carbs are bad is a misnomer. Baked goods with refined flour and sugar are completely different from eating the grains themselves. I also think people get confused with junk food and so called 'carbs'. I think a healthy diet is eating foods from all the food groups with minimal processing - as in no prepackaged or fast foods.

Grains provide many nutrients and fiber which are needed for a healthily body.

I have never liked whole wheat pasta but I think it is a fine choice.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Grains are great as long as they are whole grains with the bran intact. I think saying carbs are bad is a misnomer. Baked goods with refined flour and sugar are completely different from eating the grains themselves. I also think people get confused with junk food and so called 'carbs'. I think a healthy diet is eating foods from all the food groups with minimal processing - as in no prepackaged or fast foods.

Grains provide many nutrients and fiber which are needed for a healthily body.

I have never liked whole wheat pasta but I think it is a fine choice.
Yes, I know it's better than refined carbs, which have no nutrition except empty calories. That's why I get whole wheat. But of course we've all heard that gluten can be bad for a lot of people. I have also heard that grains aren't so good, even if whole.

I had avoided gluten for one whole year, and felt no different. So I don't think I have any problem with gluten.

And I'm not eating boatloads of whole wheat pasta, but I've had it almost every day for a couple of weeks. I didn't get tired of it yet because I make various things with it.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:11 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,773,199 times
It's not for me at this time in my life. I grew up on carbs and sugars but danced my way thru life and burned it off. Are more carbs in general, a bad way to go. Don't know but to me it's not a balance as I like my meats and fish. I enjoy all foods.

I noticed when I saw my grandgirl recently and she's embraced the vegan life, she's packed on some weight, I was shocked. She won't touch meats, NOW. I hope she's getting the nutrients her body needs.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:14 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,982,076 times
Assuming your body can handle carbs (not diabetic) I don't see a problem with it, as long as you're getting a variety of other foods along with it.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Assuming your body can handle carbs (not diabetic) I don't see a problem with it, as long as you're getting a variety of other foods along with it.
Yes I get some kind of protein, and various vegetables.

I think my body handles carbs ok. I prefer paleo, as I said. But it would cost so much just to get enough calories.

One thing I like about pasta is you can buy a lot of boxes of it and not worry about it going bad. Bread gets stale right away. Yeah you could freeze it, but nah.

Pasta is so simple to cook, in less than 10 minutes. Yes I am learning this at age 66 because I used to almost never eat pasta.

If you buy shredded cheese it's really easy to melt that on it.

Also very easy if you want to cook vegetables slightly in the same pot at the same time.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:14 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,623,521 times
Some people can do great on a high-carb diet, others will crash and burn.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Some people can do great on a high-carb diet, others will crash and burn.
Do you know about how long it would take to crash and burn, if someone was going to?

So far I'm ok. I have enough energy, haven't noticed any problems. But it's only a couple of weeks.

I might get really sick of whole wheat pasta eventually though.

But I always found when trying to limit carbs that it was hard to get enough calories without spending too much money.

I tried having beans every day, but I get tired of them really fast.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:32 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,393,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Do you know about how long it would take to crash and burn, if someone was going to?

So far I'm ok. I have enough energy, haven't noticed any problems. But it's only a couple of weeks.

I might get really sick of whole wheat pasta eventually though.

But I always found when trying to limit carbs that it was hard to get enough calories without spending too much money.

I tried having beans every day, but I get tired of them really fast.
Really? There are so many kinds of beans...and of course there are many more lentils/legumes such as chickpeas...there are at least 4 kinds of lentils! Green, brown, red, and yellow! Super cheap, high in protein, high in fiber.

I cook a pound of lentils or beans or chickpeas each week - eat half and freeze the rest.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Really? There are so many kinds of beans...and of course there are many more lentils/legumes such as chickpeas...there are at least 4 kinds of lentils! Green, brown, red, and yellow! Super cheap, high in protein, high in fiber.

I cook a pound of lentils or beans or chickpeas each week - eat half and freeze the rest.
The problem is I don't like beans. I have tried. Get tired of them so fast. I know they are healthier than whole wheat pasta.

I also tried lentil pasta, from the health food store, and it was a little box for six dollars.

The pasta I get is about $1.50 for a box that lasts at least 2 days. I am spending so much less money on food than I used to!

The pasta is to get filled up, and whatever else I have is for nutrition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness