Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:08 AM

791 posts, read 2,959,137 times

Advertisements

What is the best brand of sunscreen to really protect your skin while doing outdoor activities such as skiing.

FYI- I used Neutragena 30spf and slathered it on my face and still got sun burned
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 12:24 PM

790 posts, read 4,019,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
What is the best brand of sunscreen to really protect your skin while doing outdoor activities such as skiing.

FYI- I used Neutragena 30spf and slathered it on my face and still got sun burned
i use a product called COTZ. This is the one that contains zinc and it's a bit tinted but blends well with the skin.
This is uva-uvb SPF 58.
I have used it a 7500 feet in the high desert/mountains with intense sun and get no burn at all.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:17 PM

791 posts, read 2,959,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyskye View Post
i use a product called COTZ. This is the one that contains zinc and it's a bit tinted but blends well with the skin.
This is uva-uvb SPF 58.
I have used it a 7500 feet in the high desert/mountains with intense sun and get no burn at all.
That sounds great, do you have to reapply it throughout the day?

Old 03-10-2008, 12:52 AM

920 posts, read 2,813,645 times
If I'm going to be in the sun all day, I use Shiseido's "Sun Protection Stick Foundation" over my cheeks, nose and forehead. I like the texture of it -- it's smooth and not greasy. I've used it in low latitudes all day and haven't gotten burned. It seems to hold up well in the water, too, but I re-swipe it over my face just to be sure. It's a little pricey, but it lasts a long time. It's also small, so if you're skiing, it should fit easily in your pocket.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:45 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,967 times
I would personally only use zinc if at all possible. Take a look at the bottle of Neutrogena (which happens to be really awful for this!) or any other sunscreen and look at the chemicals listed. You are putting that on your skin, and it is being absorbed into your system. Even if you find a sunscreen which stops you from burning, do you really want all those chemicals in your body (over and over, each time you apply it)? I am personally betting that within the next few years they'll come out and admit all those chemicals cause cancer or something--I mean, it can't be good!

Zinc sits on top of your skin and blocks the sun's rays. It might look a bit funny, but it's just got to be safer. Long sleeves for the rest of you, a hat, and zinc where necessary.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:18 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,220,237 times
I prefer zinc & titanium sunscreens to chemical, too, but I have read of studies that claim the micronized particles of zinc get absorbed into your body and can also cause problems. So you're damned if you do and damned if you don't...although here's an article that does claim that zinc & titanium are not absorbed as much, or as deep as chemical sunscreens: Skin Deep: Cosmetic Safety Database - Special Report (http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/special/sunscreens/nanotech.php - broken link)

This is an interesting site. You can look up different brands of sunscreen and find how they're rated for health hazard, and sun hazard. So if you compare Blue Lizard baby (a titanium/zinc formulation) to any of Neutrogena's chemical sunscsreens, you can see that Blue Lizard gets a lower health hazard score as well as a lower sun hazard score (meaning better protection).

Last edited by Ellise; 03-10-2008 at 09:29 AM..

Old 03-10-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
That sounds great, do you have to reapply it throughout the day?
Well, after 2 or 3 hours, yes and depending on how much you're sweating, more or less, i imagine.
But i just assumed this was the case with all sunscreens.
I don't spend more than a couple of hours in intense sun so it hasn't been an issue for me.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:27 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
IMO, there are no good ones, becasue sunscreen actually promotes cancer. Avoid that stuff like the plague. Wear protective clothing instead, or gradually increase your exposure to the sun and never stay in the sun to the point of getting sunburned, and you'll be just fine. Additionally, you'll benefit from the high quality vitamin D of natural sunlight.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
IMO, there are no good ones, becasue sunscreen actually promotes cancer. Avoid that stuff like the plague. Wear protective clothing instead, or gradually increase your exposure to the sun and never stay in the sun to the point of getting sunburned, and you'll be just fine. Additionally, you'll benefit from the high quality vitamin D of natural sunlight.
Hey, thanks for that! I absolutely hate to wear sunscreen and have an instinctual aversion to it but when i've been up at altitude in the high desert / mountains with intense sun i just figured it was something i needed to do.
interesting. cool. i never knew that line of thinking even existed because i rarely use the stuff and it hasn't been an issue.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:17 PM

3 posts, read 4,884 times
1. it is incorrect that micronized particles of ZINC are absorbed into skin. it is titanium which has this warning attached to it. check out the skin deep database articles for more info.

2. sunscreen helps you avoid skin cancer. newageredneck, please list any sources of your assertion that it causes cancer. I am here searching for info about the best all natural sunscreen because there are definitely some bad chemical ingredients in products, but it's just foolish to say that all sunscreen is bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness