Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 08:55 AM

188 posts, read 975,035 times

Advertisements

Hubby ( 51 yrs old) was diagnosed with pleurisy the end of June..Dr did x rays..ultra sound..EKG ( to rule out heart problems)... He is still having some problems... Pain is more toward bottom of ribs on left side..Dr did tell him since he was a diabetic it could take longer to recover...How long? I have read where it usually last 2 weeks..some people say 2 months...He is working out of town and cannot get into see his DR till next week ( when he comes home).. Should he try to get into a walk in clinic there or wait till he gets home? He is a smoker, but has cut down a lot since this has started...He also has had back surgery ( about 10 years ago) and has a lot of arthritis in his back...Could this be causing some pain also?? Sorry for all the questions..just trying to figure out what is going on..Any suggestions??? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 11:41 AM

44,634 posts, read 61,638,098 times
Google these sites, there is a variety of information that should answer your question(s).
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...urisy+last+for

Old 08-02-2014, 04:51 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,533,060 times
I had pleurisy about 30 years ago. When I went to the ER with it they gave me a prescription for pain pills that couldn't be filled. We called all pharmacies around town but no one stocked this med. Makes you think my trip to the ER was useless, doesn't it?

This was in Chicago where I had an easier time filling a prescription for my mother-in-law's morphine when she was dying from cancer.

Last edited by myrc60; 08-02-2014 at 06:03 PM..

Old 08-03-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Google these sites, there is a variety of information that should answer your question(s).
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...urisy+last+for
Thanks for the link !! From what I read, some people can have these symptoms for months..Hubby is on his way home..going to try to get him into see DR hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday...Which will be a miracle in itself, considering half the time you get voicemail when you try to make an appt..I am thinking he may need another round of antibiotics and possibly more steroids...With him being a diabetic it may take longer for something like this to clear up...He wants DR to do MRI or CT scan to make sure..not sure if it will show Pleurisy or not...Wish us luck...Thanks again!!

Old 08-05-2014, 10:42 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,235,056 times
I had it two years ago. They did an EKG and CT scan and everything was fine. No heart issues, no blood clots. They gave me an antibiotic and the pain/breathing issues were gone within 24 hours.

I'm healthy, work out, run, weigh what I should and have never had any health issue until Pleurisy. According to my mother, she and other family members have had it. The doctor had no reason other than "people get it" as to why I had it. But I've noticed since then that every now and then I feel like I have to breathe deeply to get a good breath. I'm going to ask the dr. about that at my next physical. I've heard some of the symptoms can last for years. Strange...

Old 08-05-2014, 12:48 PM

Actually spoke to a friend of mine who said my hubby was lucky he could lay down..her mother had it for 3 months and had to sit and sleep in a recliner..Dr has decided to do a chest CT scan with contrast tomorrow..She doesn't seem overly concerned..His pain is better then it was 6 weeks ago ( unless he sneezes or coughs, then it is worse)..She seems to think that some of it may be coming from his back being in such bad shape ( severe arthritis and degenerative disc. another back surgery not an option).. If this scan comes back normal then possibly do an abdominal CT scan to check his spleen....He seems fine other then some discomfort, just hoping it is still the pleurisy and not something worse..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness