Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2010, 01:07 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,019,659 times

Advertisements

I've been home for about a week from pleurisy. Quite easily the most painful thing I have EVER been through. I was literally fine one minute and the next it felt like I had been stabbed in my back of something and I couldn't breathe. Went to the ER and they diagnosed pleurisy, prescribed naproxen and pain pills. I figured it would go away fairly quickly because I understand it's just an inflammation problem.

Here's the thing, it's been a full week and while I am better than I was, I'm not better. How long does this last?? I am growing tired of the pain and quite frankly, my living room! I still can't sleep laying down and have to prop myself up with pillows. Have you ever been through this and how long did it take to get better? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 07:06 AM

37,101 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I've been home for about a week from pleurisy. Quite easily the most painful thing I have EVER been through. I was literally fine one minute and the next it felt like I had been stabbed in my back of something and I couldn't breathe. Went to the ER and they diagnosed pleurisy, prescribed naproxen and pain pills. I figured it would go away fairly quickly because I understand it's just an inflammation problem.

Here's the thing, it's been a full week and while I am better than I was, I'm not better. How long does this last?? I am growing tired of the pain and quite frankly, my living room! I still can't sleep laying down and have to prop myself up with pillows. Have you ever been through this and how long did it take to get better? Thanks!

If the pleurisy is due to a viral infection, it may last a few days to two weeks. See here:Pleurisy (http://www.peacehealth.org/kbase/topic/special/tj8148/sec1.htm - broken link) . Lying on the side that hurts may help the pain a little.

Sorry you are so miserable. If it does not improve over the next week, see your family doctor. You may need additional tests to rule out some of the more serious problems that can have pleurisy as a symptom.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:11 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,218,248 times
I had pleurisy about a year and a half ago. It just came out of nowhere and I hadn't been sick at all with a cold or anything. I've never had pneumonia, haven't had the flu since I was a child.

They did x-rays, an EKG, and even did a full body scan with dye to see if I had any blood clots, but everything was clear, heart very healthy. Antibiotics cleared it up within a couple days. My symptoms were sharp pain in what felt like my right ribcage and inability to get a full breath. The breathing problem was scary! And the deep breaths I had to take really hurt!

But I still wonder if it's a symptom of something else. Every now and then I feel like I have to breathe very deeply to get a full breath. I even have memories of that type of deep breathing as a kid. I was a light smoker in my 20s, but haven't smoked in 17 years, so I doubt that's any issue at this point. I'm asking my doctor when it's time for my next physical.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:33 AM

107 posts, read 558,680 times
Southbel, a sudden pain in the chest can be caused by spontaneous pneumothorax. A doctor can suspect this by just listening your lungs by the stethoscope, but to make a diagnosis, an X-ray would be needed.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:57 AM

1 posts, read 5,257 times
Yes I have asbestoses with my pleurisy in the plaxs . This is painful and I have to deal with this everyday. I take opiates for the pain. but these med get to a Plato effect and your have to go height with theses med. You need to discuss with your doctor about the meds. if you take to much opiates you wind up hurting your self more its something you live with

Old 01-21-2015, 01:34 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,989,910 times
Yes...it's awful! I had it with pneumonia...thought I was gonna die. I could only lie on my right side, as it felt like there was a knife in my left side...consequently, I had the beginnings of a bedsore on my right hip. Soooo, soooo sick, from the pneumonia, but the pleurisy just made it worse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness