Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2014, 05:40 AM

27 posts, read 64,363 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
Two years ago I had my eyes checked and this was the prescription:

OD: (SPH /) (CYL+0.25) (Ax 70)

I was not sure if the glasses were only for reading, for distance or for both. Moreover, for some reason the right eye gave me such a pain that I quit wearing them in less than 2 weeks.

Yesterday I visited an eye doctor again and got this prescription:

OD: (SPH +0.75) (CYL 0.5) (Ax 150)

The doctor said that I should wear them all the time. He said that I have problems reading because I actually have problems with distance vision. Fair enough, I do have some problems reading the street signs especially during the night.

What is unclear to me are the following:

1. Can a person have eyeglasses with "+" for distance?
2. Can someone goes from cylinder (OS: +0.5) to no cylinder (OS) and from Ax 70 (OD) to Ax 150 (OD)?
3. Can the spheres grow in 2 years from none to 0.75?
4. Wearing eyeglasses if you actually do not need them can impair your vision for good?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 06:13 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Cylinder is a refraction that applies only to Astigmatism (which many people do not have), and is constant regardless of the plus or minus diopter value. It is not as essential to clear vision, and if uncorrected, you would still see clearly, but you would have trouble keeping both eyes focused together if you shifted your view from one object to another, causing an occasional sense of double vision. For example, if you are astigmatic,, and looked at a telephone pole, you might see two poles in a V shape, with the bottom of the pole lined up properly in both eyes, but the top not aligned, because one eye is "twisting" the image slightly out of alignment with the other.

Borrow a pair of glasses from an astigmatic person (most people) and hold then at arms length in front of you. You will see vertical lines are not vertical through the lenses, but will be at an angle, in order to compensate for the wearer's astigmatism, which twists their vision. Cylindrical values on your Rx will show which way to "rotate" the image. Ax 150 would rotate it 30-degrees to the left. They "Cyl" number would be deviation from standard diopter of the lenses.

The reason it is called cylinder, is because standard eyeglasses are flat, as if ground from window glass. Cylindrical are curved, as if they are cut from a milk bottle, and the cylindrical value describes the size of the bottle from which the curve would be cut. Axis describes the vertical slant of the bottle.

(If the above is wrong, somebody please correct it -- I am not a doctor, and described it from my understanding as a patient.)

Last edited by jtur88; 05-17-2014 at 06:39 AM..

Old 05-17-2014, 04:25 PM

Thank you. This is helpful.
So do you think the measurement was not correct if the cylinder did not show up?

Old 05-17-2014, 04:48 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrielle View Post
Thank you. This is helpful.
So do you think the measurement was not correct if the cylinder did not show up?
Your original numbers for Cyl were pretty low. Your later doctor might have thought it was borderline, and not worth correcting for. Especially if you wear contacts, which need to be specially made for astigmatism and might be more expensive -- but I'm not sure, because I don't wear contacts. It always surprised me that the Axis Rx always seemed so variable from one Rx to another, I'm not sure what that means.

As for your other question, yes, a diopter Rx can be (+) or (-), depending on whether you are near-sighted or far-sighted,

If you're under about 40, you will not have glasses that are just for reading or just for distance, because your young eyes will still have flexible lenses that will adjust for distance viewing. When you get older, your eye muscles can no longer make that accommodation in your interocular lens shape, and you will need bifocals, in order to focus on objects that are both near and far.

Maybe this primer will help:

http://www.allaboutvision.com/eyegla...escription.htm

Last edited by jtur88; 05-17-2014 at 05:01 PM..

Old 05-17-2014, 06:56 PM

I am 37.
I will see, when I get the glasses if I can wear them. I am a little confused about having to ware them all the time. As far as I know only those with (-) are for...all the time .

Thank you very much for your time and help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness