Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 11:43 PM

105 posts, read 250,701 times

Advertisements

so I live near Miami, I went out running at about 4 30 in the afternoon about a month ago. I had been out the nite before, it was an off day. I was hungover, dehydrated, but still went running in the cloudy weather and I was fighting thru my hour long run. Towards the end of the run, the sun came out of nowhere and the rays hit the side of my face pretty hard. I come to find out the sun was giving out extra rays or something like that, that week, but anyway I got a really bad sun burn even with my eye halfway between my ear and my eye. It took like a week to mostly go away, but there's still a small circle that is noticeable and its really making me mad. That was like a month ago and it should be all healed up. It is like a red circle. Lately, I have been taking a lot of precaution, always wearing sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat. I've also started using aloe vera. Is there any chance it will go away, or am I stuck with this little red circle on my face for life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 11:51 PM

15,851 posts, read 35,239,749 times
Even at midnight, I'm giving it 5 minutes before some genius tells you to go to the doctor.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-09-2013, 11:59 PM

105 posts, read 250,701 times
yeah u are rite....don't have health insurance people, please no one tell me to go see a doctor.....I think i'm already doing the right thing. i'm going to use aloe vera nonstop and i'm considering moving north, I've been wanting to move from south florida for other reasons anyway....the sun issue is just even more reason to gtfoh

Old 05-10-2013, 07:41 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,997,670 times
If the sunburn blistered or peeled, it will take a while to go away. Aloe vera isn't going to do much for it at this point. I'd use a little bit of vitamin E oil, massaged in really well several times a day.

If it's rough or raised compared to the rest of your skin, then it should get looked at...you mentioned that you don't have health insurance, but I've seen free screenings for skin cancer and I'm sure they'd take a look at it for you.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:21 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,553,017 times
Aloe Vera isn't going to help you not get burned, for that you need sun block. It would have best been used as soon as you realized you were sunburned.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:11 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,902,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatboybigbFL View Post
yeah u are rite....don't have health insurance people, please no one tell me to go see a doctor.....I think i'm already doing the right thing. i'm going to use aloe vera nonstop and i'm considering moving north, I've been wanting to move from south florida for other reasons anyway....the sun issue is just even more reason to gtfoh
Hm. Well since it's been on your skin for more than a month, I'm pretty sure it's no longer just a sunburn. It might just be a scar. Or it could be skin cancer. Or an allergic reaction to something in your sunglasses, or the sunscreen. But you won't go to a doctor so really - just um..wear clean underwear, and don't forget to brush after eating?

Old 05-11-2013, 05:26 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,221,178 times
ok, so you don't want to go to the doctors or you have no insurance, I doubt it is anything to worry about anyway, but there really isn't much any of us can do for you. As for moving north, you might want to leave Florida for other reasons, but don't think the sun is any hotter or more damaging there than other places. All you can do is, when you are going to be out more than 10 minutes use sun screen. What level, is still be debated. Our doctor says 15 or more and if you have had skin cancer or even a pre cancer you should wear 30 or more. My daughters dermatologist says 50 or more if you have had any skin cancers and a friend of ours just had a couple little ones removed. Her doctor said 70 to 80.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:54 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,153,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatboybigbFL View Post
so I live near Miami, I went out running at about 4 30 in the afternoon about a month ago. I had been out the nite before, it was an off day. I was hungover, dehydrated, but still went running in the cloudy weather and I was fighting thru my hour long run. Towards the end of the run, the sun came out of nowhere and the rays hit the side of my face pretty hard. I come to find out the sun was giving out extra rays or something like that, that week, but anyway I got a really bad sun burn even with my eye halfway between my ear and my eye. It took like a week to mostly go away, but there's still a small circle that is noticeable and its really making me mad. That was like a month ago and it should be all healed up. It is like a red circle. Lately, I have been taking a lot of precaution, always wearing sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat. I've also started using aloe vera. Is there any chance it will go away, or am I stuck with this little red circle on my face for life?
Aloe isn't going to a darn thing for what you've got on your face. Like it or not, you're going to have to go to the dr. Suck it up and go to one of the walk in clinics....$100 to see a dr....if you can afford to drink, you can afford to see the dr.

I live in S Florida.....it's common knowledge that the sun is hot and it causes skin burns. It's doesn't 'come out of nowhere' and it doesn't 'give off extra rays' it's sun...it's hot...it will burn you.

Leave that little circle alone and you could end up losing half your face (or your life) to skin cancer.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:24 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,703,453 times
Please see a Derm Doctor and get it tested.I had melanoma stage 4 that showed up in my lymph nodes swelling up 13 years ago.They never found it on my skin but I know I got sun burn more than once in my younger years..After a miserable 9 months of chemo I still see a Derm Doctor every 6 months to a year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness