Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 02:49 PM

302 posts, read 474,559 times

Advertisements

I had a blood clot in my groin that went down to my ankle. Was on coumadin for 6 months. Two weeks later another blood clot in the same place, now I will have to take coumadin for the rest of my life. The initial pain has lessened, but it still hurts all the time and it is difficult to move my leg. I have been told that this may never go away. I hope yours gets better, just be alert for chest pain and trouble breathing. Pulmonary emboli are very serious. My daughter had them in both lungs after being treated for a blood clot behind her knee and she had been in the hospital on heparin for 10 days before the clots broke off and went into her lungs. She has to take lovenox now whenever she has any type of medical procedure. She is allergic to coumadin.

I wish you the best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 03:05 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,329,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Yes, I sympathized with you in my rep to you. (I thought I had signed it but apparently not.)

I dont understand how a clot can get larger if you're taking Warfarin. Warfarin doesnt break up a clot that has already formed but it's supposed to keep an existing clot from getting bigger.

I can imagine how frustrating it must be for the doctor to tell you that your clot is getting larger. But I wonder if maybe she miscalculated, or someone mis-read the test results, on the original clot. Have you considered getting a second opinion? If your body hasnt started absorbing your blood clot after a year, maybe another doctor can help you more than your current doctor is doing.
It was the radiologist who read the report.
My doctor did email back and said it may be an initial extension from earlier. She sad we'll give it 6 more months. I did email her back to let her know how anxious I get about it.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKittehs View Post
I had a blood clot in my groin that went down to my ankle. Was on coumadin for 6 months. Two weeks later another blood clot in the same place, now I will have to take coumadin for the rest of my life. The initial pain has lessened, but it still hurts all the time and it is difficult to move my leg. I have been told that this may never go away. I hope yours gets better, just be alert for chest pain and trouble breathing. Pulmonary emboli are very serious. My daughter had them in both lungs after being treated for a blood clot behind her knee and she had been in the hospital on heparin for 10 days before the clots broke off and went into her lungs. She has to take lovenox now whenever she has any type of medical procedure. She is allergic to coumadin.

I wish you the best of luck!

Thank you.

I'm sorry yours hurts so much. The thing with this is, if they didn't tell me I still have it, I wouldn't know.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:08 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,453,950 times
I think you have a right to be anxious. There are so many things that dont make sense.

Can you get another test done and have a different radiologist read it? Maybe go to a different doctor/hospital to do that?

Old 01-21-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I think you have a right to be anxious. There are so many things that dont make sense.

Can you get another test done and have a different radiologist read it? Maybe go to a different doctor/hospital to do that?
I'm not sure about radiology. My primary care doctor is with Kaiser Permanente, so I could get another opinion through them.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:20 PM

Well, I'd try it. In my opinion, no one with your history should have to wait another six months. Good luck!

Old 07-17-2014, 09:55 PM

Ok. Well, here we are six months later (18 months total). Had a new ultrasound yesterday. The doctor said it is an improved, but stubborn clot. 3 more months of blood thinner.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,556 times
Default Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
*subject should read "blood"*

41yo here. I developed a blood clot in my calf after taking a car trip at the end of December. My calf became sore, but not painful. Upon returning to work last Wednesday, my leg became painful and very swollen (I teach elementary students and was on my feet a lot that day). I struggled through work again on Thursday and made it to an afternoon doctor appointment. Bloodwork was positive for the clot, so I had a Lovenox shot that afternoon and one again the next morning (Friday). I made it to the ultrasound appointment on Friday (struggled through the pain to get there and back) and then had to go back out later for more bloodwork and prescriptions. So, short story long, I'm giving myself the shots twice a day for 10 days, taking Coumadin, and I have to go back twice this week for bloodwork. I have a cane which helps get me from point A to B in the house, but the pain really builds. It's immediate if I stop and stand in one place (brushing teeth for example). Forget standing to take a shower. I pretty much get as far as I can before throwing myself onto a bed or couch, writhing in pain. It subsides after it has been elevated a few minutes.
For those who have experienced this before, how long did it take for the pain to start subsiding? I have plans to take 4 days off this week if I have to, but I hate to miss work for so long.
So how long did the severe pain last, i have exactly what you described.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Ok. Well, here we are six months later (18 months total). Had a new ultrasound yesterday. The doctor said it is an improved, but stubborn clot. 3 more months of blood thinner.

I've been waiting for an update on how you're doing. Hope you read this and let us know.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,373 times
I got told I have a blood clot in my left calf after having a ultrasound. They didnt show me the ultrasound results or how big the clot is.just said i had a clot and i need to take a blood thinner and go back to regular activity.I have alot of pain from my calf to my thigh so it's hard to go back to regular activities. It hurts a lot more when I stand or walk almost like throbbing behind the knee and heavy. I was wondering how long does it take for the pain to reduce usually. Any info would be helpful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness