Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 07:25 PM

55 posts, read 268,304 times

Advertisements

How is a blood clot removed from ones lung, is it a big operation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 07:42 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,018,326 times
Pulmonary embolus, blood clot treatment

Old 07-11-2009, 07:53 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,546,913 times
I had one in my lung that resulted from a swimming pool accident. It was dissolved by being on Cumadin, which is an anticoagulant (blood thinner) and reduces the formation of blood clots.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:08 PM

78 posts, read 228,036 times
It usually does not involve an operation, unless it is very life threatening and other measures don't work.

The body breaks down it's own clots through "lysis". When you cut or wound yourself in some way, the body forms clots at the site of the wound to stop the bleeding. The body also eventually breaks down and "reabsorbs" the clot as part of the healing process. Sometimes the body forms clots in some location of the body for a variety of reasons unrelated to an injury. These clots can sometimes travel from the site of origin and end up in the lungs. When you are found to have blood clots in the lungs the good news is that the individual survived a very dangerous condition. Clots typically don't form in the lungs; in fact the lungs are usually the last stop for a clot and up to 25% or more of people are killed by this. If you or someone you know survived a clot in the lungs there is a good news story there and a lot to be thankful for.

As far as treatment, as others mentioned you are often given anticoagulants, which help prevent the clot from getting any bigger, dissolve it to a certain extent and keep new clots from forming while the body breaks down and absorbs the clot through its natural process. It's important to find out the cause and location of the clot, so as to prevent new ones. Often times the heart is examined as well, because the heart may have to work harder to get oxygen to the rest of the body, which can lead to enlarging (especially of the right side and often temporary). The reason for the clot and likelihood of developing new ones may affect the course of treatment that is recommended and for how long.

If you are someone else are going through this, the more informed you are, the better as far as treatment. All the best to you.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:56 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,499,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydog1 View Post
How is a blood clot removed from ones lung, is it a big operation?
The treatment is mainly in preventing another one or preventing the current one from becoming bigger.
But if you remove the embolism you will still have dead lung tissue.
That tissue lost because of lack of blood flow is gone.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:12 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,881,046 times
If the clots come from your legs, forming in your legs, there is a small filter that is inserted into the groin area that will stop the clot from reaching your chest (Greenfield or Greenfeldt filter, can't remember exactly). As others have said, the usual treatment is an anti-coagulent to dissolve the clot (s). If it's in the brain, sometimes they go in with a "hook" like thing to grab it and bring it out.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 3,471 times
I have had the Greenfield Filter going on 20 years. I have had a number of blood clots go to my heart and lungs before I got the filter.. Ever since the filter no more big clots. I still have small ones but not the dangerous ones that can kill. Does anyone out there know if there is a life expectcy of the filter? In other words how long will the filter keep in ones body and keep working? Thanks and have a great day. Diane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness