Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 04:05 AM

4 posts, read 4,432 times

Advertisements

+1 for seeing a doctor.
memories don't just switch off for no reason at all.
i find that it helps when i say i haven't got insurance upfront and paying out of pocket
this should make them think twice before scheduling unnecessary tests.
also, question whatever they tell you.
so start researching a bit on what the possible causes could be so you could ask your doctor about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 10:41 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,948,689 times
Some twelve or more years ago, when I was about 55, I went to input my PIN at the ATM machine and I couldn't remember it. It was a PIN I had had for a long time and which I used on a regular basis. Needless to say, that freaked me out big time. I drove around the neighborhood for a few minutes and the PIN came back to me. I have never again experienced anything similar.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:08 AM

19,636 posts, read 9,613,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Yet somehow you remember how to log on to your computer and this site.

It's not too hard when you have it book marked

Old 10-26-2012, 12:06 PM

3,084 posts, read 7,268,207 times
Should I go see a Doctor or Neurologist?

Here's my dilemma, I don't want to spend $100 seeing a doctor if he wouldn't be able to detect anything and just refer me to a Neurologist anyway. But I don't want to spend $300 to see a Neurologist and find out it's nothing and a doctor could've told me the same thing for a cheaper price.

I guess it all boils down to whether or not a doctor can sufficiently determine if there's something going on with my memory/brain or not.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:42 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,945,905 times
Or you could make an appt with a psychologist who does cognitive and memory testing. There are specific tests for memory. If you do indeed have a problem, then you would have to see a physician to find the cause. Perhaps it might be cheaper in the long run to find out IF there is a real problem. Universities that offer doctoral programs in psychology (and a few that have master's in Educ Psy) offer almost free testing clinics for their students to learn. They are supervised by licensed psychologists. They also offer therapy at greatly reduced prices.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:42 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,526,672 times
Do you have medical insurance? I ask because some insurance companies will require you to see a doctor and then that doctor must refer you to a more specialized doctor such as a neurologist. Do you really feel like there is something wrong, or are you just concerned? Have you had any other sympstoms such as headache, dizziness, etc.? Are you progressivly getting worse or is this something that is just off and on and hasn't really gotten worse?

Old 10-27-2012, 03:28 PM

3,084 posts, read 7,268,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Do you have medical insurance? I ask because some insurance companies will require you to see a doctor and then that doctor must refer you to a more specialized doctor such as a neurologist. Do you really feel like there is something wrong, or are you just concerned? Have you had any other sympstoms such as headache, dizziness, etc.? Are you progressivly getting worse or is this something that is just off and on and hasn't really gotten worse?
No I dont have medical insurance.

I dont feel like something is wrong I'm just concerned. I dont have any headache, I dont feel dizzy.

Forgetting my cell/home/bank account number that 1 time was alarming to me because I use it daily. I've had my home number for like 15 years. I had my cell number for like 3 years.

But I feel like sometimes my memory is not as sharp as I would like. Like I'd forget the name of a character on a tv show, I'd forget the name of a movie/album/show.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm definitely trying to utilize the tips given.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:39 AM

357 posts, read 1,021,372 times
stop worry, fear will block brain from many things.
i don't remember my cell number, don't use or have to give out the number often enough.
home phone number ? call home anytime you out don't put the number on speed dial.
who out there remember bank account number.
memory like many other things, use it or loss it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
For my cell number I just remember the area code and last 4 digits, for my home number I just remember my area code, and for my bank account number I just remember the first 3 digits.

However, I do remember my 4 digit pin number, my laptop password, and my social security number.

Just yesterday I knew my cell number and I woke early today and forgot it. I've been noticing that my memory hasn't been so sharp for the last 5 years.

I'm really worried, what should I do?

Old 10-28-2012, 03:26 PM
etx

49 posts, read 106,117 times
I'm sorry this is happening to you. I went through something similar and it is scary!

I would suggest getting a thyroid panel run asap, and in the meantime making some dietary changes. If you eat any crappy convenience foods or drink soda, stop now. They affect your brain negatively. More fruits, more veggies, more protein. Some supplements to look into are CoQ10 and B-complex. Also I've read many studies that claim exercise, even just walking, helps your brain.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:57 AM

19,287 posts, read 16,808,569 times
See your doctor. It might be nothing but why would want to take that chance? Doesn't matter if you have insurance or not. There are clinics you can go. There is help out there. Use it. Please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness