Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 03:14 PM

889 posts, read 2,712,513 times

Advertisements

I've never had bronchitis, but I think I do now. Can I beat it without taking antibiotics? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 03:35 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Viral bronchitis doesn't get treated with antibiotics. Bacterial bronchitis does. If you have viral bronchitis, then *hot* steam (as opposed to cold mist), vapo-rub/tiger balm, a decongestant, an expectorant to promote the fluid pushing up and away from the lungs and mucous membranes, and at night, the opposite: a cough suppressant so you can sleep, are the most common treatments.

It will go away all by itself unless you are one of the unlucky ones who end up with pneumonia. But while you're waiting for it to go away, it's better to treat the symptoms so you aren't -thoroughly- miserable.

If your chest gets worse after a few days, or doesn't seem any better after a week, have a doctor check you out and ask if he thinks lung x-rays are indicated. He might not. Or he might. But that's when you ask. If you have a fever OR unusually LOW temperature, see a doctor right away and don't wait to see if it'll get better.

Edited a second time to recommend LOTS of water and broth, avoid dairy.

Last edited by AnonChick; 02-22-2011 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: edited because I misused the term expectorant.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:56 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,047,702 times
Lots of rest at home ~ Lots of chicken soup ~ Lots of hot tea ~ More rest !! If your immune system is at its optimal, you should recover within a week

Old 02-22-2011, 07:39 PM

806 posts, read 2,341,221 times
Is there a doctor in the house!!

Old 02-22-2011, 09:23 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,249,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityflair View Post
I've never had bronchitis, but I think I do now. Can I beat it without taking antibiotics? Thanks.
No. A credible doctor(MD) should always prescribe antibiotics when it comes to lung infections. Im just recovering from a severe case of bronchitis Im alive only because the doctor did the right decision and prescribed Doxycyclin, its GREAT! Now i can already go out by my self to buy cigarettes and Diet Coke. Viral or not antibiotics help, and youre back on your feet in a couple of days. No chicken soups needed here!

On a sidenote, when I was really sick an insane nurse recommended SAUNA!

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 02-22-2011 at 10:17 PM..

Old 02-22-2011, 10:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Yep its the sanme with actaul neumonia. once they find out the type the they will use the corrst anti-biotic. If for some reason they don't get a sample they will give you both types of anti-biotics.Often COPD toyes can develop into it whcih is why if the doctor hears what might be it then he will have X-rays of the lungs.Any COPD can devop into worse problems ;so see a doctor.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:49 PM

950 posts, read 3,191,239 times
You can probably find Enzymatic Therapy Inc. products for bronchitis at your local health food stores or online.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:57 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,642,263 times
Even though I work for doctors, I'm not a fan of running to the doctor for everything however, with any type of lung infections you should always seek medical advice from your doctor. Depending on the type of infection you WILL need antibiotics and only your doctor can tell you what you have.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:58 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityflair View Post
It really depends on what type of bronchitis you have. If you've got bacterial, then do you really want all those microorganisms feeding off your tissues and putting toxins in your lungs?

Old 02-23-2011, 09:58 AM

523 posts, read 3,804,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
No. A credible doctor(MD) should always prescribe antibiotics when it comes to lung infections. Im just recovering from a severe case of bronchitis Im alive only because the doctor did the right decision and prescribed Doxycyclin, its GREAT! Now i can already go out by my self to buy cigarettes and Diet Coke. Viral or not antibiotics help, and youre back on your feet in a couple of days. No chicken soups needed here!

On a sidenote, when I was really sick an insane nurse recommended SAUNA!
obviously not true. antibiotics are only helpful for bacterial infection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness