Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 11:43 AM

1,224 posts, read 4,000,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronenborg View Post
obviously not true. antibiotics are only helpful for bacterial infection.
I concur. An ANTIBIOTIC is to treat BACTERIAL infections. An ANTIVIRAL is used to treat a virus. When will people learn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 07:47 AM

889 posts, read 2,712,819 times
Either 1.) I didn't truly have Bronchitis, 2.) it was only viral, or 3.) Goldenseal is an effective antibiotic. I never went to the doctor. I took 7 Goldenseal capsules per day. I used a corticosteroid asthma inhaler for sympom relief. I feel MUCH improved!! Thanks for everyone's input.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:11 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Like I said, bronchitis often goes away all by itself. You might have had bronchitis, bacterial or viral, and your immune system was able to fight it off and prevent it from getting worse.

Goldenseal can be helpful if you have serious phlegm problems, and as a digestive aid. But no it's not an antibiotic. It does have antibiotic qualities but isn't likely to be the thing that made you better. The most likely reason you returned to health, was that the illness ran its course. If you have chronic bronchitis, you'll get it again next year (or whenever the seasons change).

Old 02-24-2011, 08:12 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,250,384 times
Im also recovering from Bronchitis thanks to antibiotics. But i have this terrible cough that I try to manage with this silly codeine mixture, thats not helping. Im tryin to quit smokin after the summer.

A nurse adviced me to stop smokin cold turkey, and recommended XYLITOL GUM!!!

Old 01-07-2016, 01:44 PM

4 posts, read 4,144 times
Any time you have fluid that does not get expelled out of your airways and stays in there, regardless of if you originally only developed the congestion from a virus, bacteria grows! It grows in the wet damp area so if your not getting it out of your body ...you will need an antibiotic to fight that infection. So whether it's viral or not .. When bacteria enters in on the mucus ,,,you need an antibiotic. I have never had bronchitis occur where I did not have to cure it through an antibiotic. Many times it was viral, but my airways are tight and bacteria grew since I was not able to expel the mucus. Please don't advise people to wait and do nothing stating that antibiotic will not work on viral. If you've developed bronchitis... You may have gotten it originally from a virus.. But now you've got bacteria in there and if you don't either expel that mucus fully or get an antibiotic, you are going to develop pneumonia. I've been there too many times due to doctors saying oh it's a virus go home and drink fluids. Then I'm back in in a week needing antibiotics for either accute bronchitis or pneumonia.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:47 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAILANI View Post
Is there a doctor in the house!!
Yes.

Most bronchitis is viral.

Unless you have copd, antibiotics are unnecessary.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:00 PM

Well I do have narrow airways and slight asthma and have never ever been able to cure bronchitis without antibiotics. It's irresponsible to tell people to just drink fluids. They need to see a doctor and have their lungs listened to and perhaps an exray. I have always had to get an antibiotic to get well from bronchitis. And the times I tried so hard to wait it out using decongestants and steam and fluids..I ended up with pneumonia . So let's stop saying oh if you have a virus you won't need an antibiotic. You will if the virus then causes you to develop a bacterial infection, which for some of us out there it always does. I have never had even just a simple cold where I have not developed either sinus infection or bronchitis.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:20 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjinfhys32 View Post
Well I do have narrow airways and slight asthma and have never ever been able to cure bronchitis without antibiotics. It's irresponsible to tell people to just drink fluids. They need to see a doctor and have their lungs listened to and perhaps an exray. I have always had to get an antibiotic to get well from bronchitis. And the times I tried so hard to wait it out using decongestants and steam and fluids..I ended up with pneumonia . So let's stop saying oh if you have a virus you won't need an antibiotic. You will if the virus then causes you to develop a bacterial infection, which for some of us out there it always does. I have never had even just a simple cold where I have not developed either sinus infection or bronchitis.
You can do simple breathing exercises to help prevent pneumonia...take a really deep breath through your nose, hold it in a second or two, then breathe out slowly. Repeat ten times, then cough to bring up any secretions that you've loosened. Do the exercise several times a day. Sometimes if you do it when you're sick, it can be kind of painful. If they show you the breathing exercises in the hospital, they usually give you a gadget to breathe into so you can measure your airflow, but it works just as well without the gadget, as long as you remember to do it.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:32 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjinfhys32 View Post
You are an extreme outlier, seem to have a poor grasp of diagnostic medicine, and should lay off the advice, dude.

Sorry things are so extreme for you, but such will not be the case with most people. Maybe you should look into your diet and your environment to see why you get sick so easily.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:42 PM

Well all I am saying is that stating that unless you have copd you don't need an antibiotic is not accurate. As I said I have always tried as hard as I could to do all the home advice given by experts and those like you who state that antibiotics are not necessary. I've gone to the doctor and been sent home with those very same words so many times. And the result has always been that I am back with a worse infection and needing antibiotics. So all I'm saying is that just because a virus is the source of how you became sick doesn't mean that some will not develop bacterial infections if they are not able to clear out the fluid. And if they try too long on their own they can develop a very bad lung infection if they let it go. So telling people to just drink fluid and not advising them to have their lungs listened to is irresponsible. Others here need to lay off the advice also. Go to the doctor if you have bronchitis. Simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness