Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 10:24 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,581,822 times

Advertisements

Women who use make-up on a daily basis are absorbing almost 5lb of chemicals a year into their bodies, it is claimed.

Many use more than 20 different beauty products a day striving to look their best while nine out of 10 apply make-up which is past its use by date.

Dependence on cosmetics and toiletries means that a cocktail of 4lb 6oz of chemicals a year is absorbed into the body through the skin.

Some synthetic compounds involved have been linked to side effects ranging from skin irritation to premature ageing and cancer.

Body absorbs 5lb of make-up chemicals a year | Uk News | News | Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 10:49 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,546,711 times
I'm sure that Tammy Faye Baker absorbed three times that amount! (But maybe I shouldn't be so mean as she is now very ill from lung cancer. )

Old 06-29-2007, 02:49 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,435,815 times
Yikes... I only use a little powder and lipcolor made from earth pigments, same for eyeliner (company called Logona), that's it. No "foundation" (always thought that was soooooo gross) or lipsticks made with artificial colors (many of them "suspected" carcinogens).

Old 06-29-2007, 02:56 PM

12 posts, read 39,793 times
lol that sucks for girls

Old 06-29-2007, 07:07 PM

72,410 posts, read 18,198,148 times
Oh well,but we can't go without it

Old 06-29-2007, 07:14 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,223,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonten View Post
Oh well,but we can't go without it
Oh yes, we can. Most guys like the natural look on women anyway. I said most. I know there are plenty that go for the plastic from head to toe.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:16 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,223,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Women who use make-up on a daily basis are absorbing almost 5lb of chemicals a year into their bodies, it is claimed.

Many use more than 20 different beauty products a day striving to look their best while nine out of 10 apply make-up which is past its use by date.

Dependence on cosmetics and toiletries means that a cocktail of 4lb 6oz of chemicals a year is absorbed into the body through the skin.

Some synthetic compounds involved have been linked to side effects ranging from skin irritation to premature ageing and cancer.

Body absorbs 5lb of make-up chemicals a year | Uk News | News | Telegraph
Great post, and now there is even more reason for me to do without it besides the fact that I'm allergic to makeup, a blessing in disguise.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:34 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,459 times
Well, being that skin is our largest organ, I don't know why more of us don't take better care of it and treat it like what it is, an organ of the body. I do not think we would spread goop all over our kidneys, or liver, or our uterus'.
MBG

Old 06-30-2007, 12:02 AM

72,410 posts, read 18,198,148 times
Oh! I will not have any plastic surgery,but what happens if you have spots on your face,asians when they age have dark spots.It looks awful.I envy the white skin,I usually just have a little makeup and lipstick,otherwise I would look washed out.That is why asians don't go under the sun much.I wish I had known this would happen.But when I was young I loved to go the beach and get a suntan.But the damage starts slowly ovetime.Asians don't tan as well as caucasians.We don't have the golden tan.I just turn dark,with black spots.Ugh

Old 06-30-2007, 02:11 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,279,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonten View Post
Oh! I will not have any plastic surgery,but what happens if you have spots on your face,asians when they age have dark spots.It looks awful.I envy the white skin,I usually just have a little makeup and lipstick,otherwise I would look washed out.That is why asians don't go under the sun much.I wish I had known this would happen.But when I was young I loved to go the beach and get a suntan.But the damage starts slowly ovetime.Asians don't tan as well as caucasians.We don't have the golden tan.I just turn dark,with black spots.Ugh
And i burn to a crisp if i stay in the sun more than 15 minutes. So having fair skin isn't the greatest...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness