Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 12:49 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,718,222 times

Advertisements

And to think only nicotine is considered as a "bad" chemical.

Damning new evidence has even the FDA worried about the impacts of BPA in consumer products, especially those for infants and children.

Bisphenol A is the chemical building block of polycarbonate plastics in use since the 1950s, polycarbonates go into countless consumer products, including baby bottles, sippy cups, food containers, dishware, appliances, electronics, shatterproof lenses and sports gear.

One of the Most Common Chemicals Used in Modern Life Is Now Being Seen as a Health Threat | Health and Wellness | AlterNet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 01:06 PM

745 posts, read 1,651,884 times
There was a flap about this a few weeks ago and we thought that it would be banned. However, this would likely put some plastics manufacturers out of business and they won. The stuff is still allowed.
The unaware continue to poison themselves and their families.

Other common chemicals are those insecticides commonly used in most homes. And that "bug man" that comes around every month to lay toxins thruout your house.

And you wonder why your dog is having skin problems.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:11 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,195,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
And to think only nicotine is considered as a "bad" chemical.

Damning new evidence has even the FDA worried about the impacts of BPA in consumer products, especially those for infants and children.

Bisphenol A is the chemical building block of polycarbonate plastics in use since the 1950s, polycarbonates go into countless consumer products, including baby bottles, sippy cups, food containers, dishware, appliances, electronics, shatterproof lenses and sports gear.

One of the Most Common Chemicals Used in Modern Life Is Now Being Seen as a Health Threat | Health and Wellness | AlterNet
The FDA has approved many harmful and noxious chemicals to be "reasonably safe" for human consumption. This is partially why our cancer rates have gone off the charts in the past decade.

Anyone who believes that the government has our best interests at heart are fooling themselves. It's all about money in their pocket.

We can only try to protect ourselves the best that we can. We all must educate ourselves and make our own lifestyle decisions that will give us the best chance of minimizing contact to potentially harmful substances.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-20-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
We can only try to protect ourselves the best that we can. We all must educate ourselves and make our own lifestyle decisions that will give us the best chance of minimizing contact to potentially harmful substances.

20yrsinBranson
A statement of fact that more should learn about all that we wear or ingest.

Life is choices to be sure but no one gets to live forever so why not enjoy what we want........in moderation.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:46 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,306,397 times
Industrial ciggys just like these chemicals were birthed upon the industrial revolution. I felt totally different smoking high end all natural ciggs without the sprayed etcs. Being that all these chemicals have not even been used long enough to really do full generational studies...what they know and see even now kinda freaks me out.

I find it sort of sickly funny. Just when you think you get a one up on nature or "the rules of life" Its laughing and saying "oh yeh?"

All these fun and good things were created to make life last longer or better...And now look what happened.

I really wish nothing was bad for you.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:02 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,195,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Industrial ciggys just like these chemicals were birthed upon the industrial revolution. I felt totally different smoking high end all natural ciggs without the sprayed etcs. Being that all these chemicals have not even been used long enough to really do full generational studies...what they know and see even now kinda freaks me out.

I find it sort of sickly funny. Just when you think you get a one up on nature or "the rules of life" Its laughing and saying "oh yeh?"

All these fun and good things were created to make life last longer or better...And now look what happened.

I really wish nothing was bad for you.
I find it horrendous that the government is REQUIRING that all cigarette papers now be FSC (fire safe cigarettes) which are self-extinguishing. Of course no one knows how inhaling this chemical will effect people in the long term. Even all-natural cigarette companies are forced to comply, because it is for OUR OWN SAFETY don't you know?

If I were a smoker, I'd be learning how to make my own cigarette papers, or take up the pipe.

I do not believe that cigarettes are the problem. I believe that the chemicals that are put into cigarettes are the problem. People have been smoking for more than 200 years and for more than 100 of them, there was no increased incidence in heart disease or cancer attributable to the habit. Anyone should be able to see the connection here.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-21-2010, 09:28 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,252,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I find it horrendous that the government is REQUIRING that all cigarette papers now be FSC (fire safe cigarettes) which are self-extinguishing. Of course no one knows how inhaling this chemical will effect people in the long term. Even all-natural cigarette companies are forced to comply, because it is for OUR OWN SAFETY don't you know?

If I were a smoker, I'd be learning how to make my own cigarette papers, or take up the pipe.

I do not believe that cigarettes are the problem. I believe that the chemicals that are put into cigarettes are the problem. People have been smoking for more than 200 years and for more than 100 of them, there was no increased incidence in heart disease or cancer attributable to the habit. Anyone should be able to see the connection here.
20yrsinBranson

Clearly, that is false and anyone should know that...

Cigarettes are CLEARLY the problem and have been ever since they were first introduced....

The increase in lung carcinoma is clearly attributable to the beginning of mass production of cigarettes. Once cigarettes were more readily available to the masses, more people took up the habit and smoked more often.....lung cancer rates began to soar in the early 1900's among men roughly 20 years after the introduction of manufactured cigarettes. EXACTLY as would be expected due to the average time for tumor formation.

Similarly lung cancer rates began to soar in women in the early 80's and 90's...again 20 or so years after the number of women smoking in the 50's and 60's grew exponentially.....

Lung cancer remains the leading cause of cancer death among men and women......and CLEARLY cigarettes are the problem.

As for the fire safe cigarette argument....who CARES what the long term effect of inhaling this chemical are??? We already KNOW what the long term effects of smoking are.....up to 1,000 people die every year from fires started by careless smokers.....many of them innocent bystanders....if even one life is saved by fire safe cigarettes it is worth it.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:21 AM

THIS is the topic of this thread...

NOT smoking!

PLEASE GET BACK ON TOPIC OR PLEASE DON'T POST TO THIS THREAD!!

Old 01-21-2010, 02:40 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,252,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
THIS is the topic of this thread...

NOT smoking!

PLEASE GET BACK ON TOPIC OR PLEASE DON'T POST TO THIS THREAD!!
Silly me...I seem to have seen THIS in the original post:

"And to think only nicotine is considered as a "bad" chemical."

Don't know why anyone brought up smoking in this thread

Old 01-21-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Silly me...I seem to have seen THIS in the original post:

"And to think only nicotine is considered as a "bad" chemical."

Don't know why anyone brought up smoking in this thread
"Nicotine" IS a chemical that is harmful just like BPA is!

Some people can't stay on topic even if they had a road map..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness