Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 09:27 AM
pod pod started this thread

24 posts, read 59,850 times

Advertisements

hi,

I want to get a kennel for my dog, but I also hear that some flights don't travel during summer months?

I wanted to see what info you guys have been told regarding different airlines and summer months and cages

-what is a good cage brand? I have a german shepherd
-what airlines allow dogs to fly up top ? I have a daschund
-what airlines won't fly during summer? what months are summer for them?

I'm trying to see if united will allow, as I know united has direct flights to Maui. And I am getting direct release paperworkf or them to fly into Maui..

thanks for any info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 10:40 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
The crate you get must be IATA compliant. Look specifically for that designation. Do Not accept any kennel that just says airline approved. After you find those kennels, look them over carefully. All brands make several types from cheap to expensive so brand name means nothing. When looking them over, check the quality of the seams, fasteners, and all parts. You can tell a quality kennel from some cheap kennel. If buying online, try and see if you can find that kennel in a regular store so you can check quality.

Currently, no airline traveling to Hawaii lets you have a non service animal in the cabin. They travel as baggage or cargo. If you insist on the animal not being in the "LOWER" cargo hold, you will either have to charter a private jet or use a cargo only flight from the mainland to Hawaii.

The summer restrictions is based on temperature. Most airlines will place a moratorium on shipping animals during certain times and from certain airports because the chances of reaching the 85 degree top mark is great. The temperature restriction is for the departing and arriving airports and ALL stops in between.

Since airlines make the policy and they change often based on a number of reasons, the best and most accurate info you will receive is from them.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:39 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,331,319 times
Quote:
Currently, no airline traveling to Hawaii lets you have a non service animal in the cabin.
Does this apply to cats too? And small dogs? I was under the impression they were allowed in the cabin if they and their carrier fit under the seat.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:53 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
As of today, right now, no scheduled passenger airlines wants animals in the cabin flying to Hawaii. That could change this afternoon, or not for another decade. DO NOT assume that what an airline allowed on a flight from Dallas to Chicago is the same rules that apply to Hawaii bound flights. Hawaii has a strict animal import regulations and violations subject the airlines to fines and penalties, they do not want to pay fines because passenegers screw things up. So instead of having to deal with some bad passengers who think they are above regulations, airlines simply prohibited animals in the cabin and that stopped the problem. Now the animals are down in the baggage hold and gets to quarantine just like luggage changing flights. No passenegers to screw up the smooth operation and since they started this, word is things have ran so smoothly, they won't even consider brining it back.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:43 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,029 times
There is a minimum 120 day window for taking a pet to Hawaii without quarantine. You have to get a rabies test result sent to Hawaii from the lab at Kansas State University, plus the dog's rabies certificates, import form and certificate of health and of tick treatment, at minimum. The KSU test isn't cheap, expect around $200 for just that test. The window for submitting these forms depends on the island to which you are traveling.

You also need to have a vet onsite for the immediate release program.

Link:

Animal Quarantine Information — Hawaii Department of Agriculture

Old 06-04-2010, 02:45 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
As of today, right now, no scheduled passenger airlines wants animals in the cabin flying to Hawaii. That could change this afternoon, or not for another decade. DO NOT assume that what an airline allowed on a flight from Dallas to Chicago is the same rules that apply to Hawaii bound flights. Hawaii has a strict animal import regulations and violations subject the airlines to fines and penalties, they do not want to pay fines because passenegers screw things up. So instead of having to deal with some bad passengers who think they are above regulations, airlines simply prohibited animals in the cabin and that stopped the problem. Now the animals are down in the baggage hold and gets to quarantine just like luggage changing flights. No passenegers to screw up the smooth operation and since they started this, word is things have ran so smoothly, they won't even consider brining it back.
To your point...my mom wanted to take her dog in the cabin, so she ordered a "Service Animal" vest online and claimed her dog was a "Pet Therapy" dog. Expect the airlines to tighten up the certification for what is considered a "Service Animal"...

Old 06-05-2010, 02:02 PM

145 posts, read 450,885 times
Check with Continental. I spoke with them a month or two ago to get some info for a trip I'll be taking next spring. They have a "petsaver" program in which, according to a couple of different Continental employees I spoke with said that although they are techincally going as "cargo" (vs in the cabin with passengers), the area the pets travel in have the same conditions as the passenger portion of the plane (pressurized, climate controlled, etc.). They also DO allow pets small enough to fit in a carrier under your seat to fly in the cabin...but not to Hawaii due to Hawaii's extremely, uh, stringent quarantine rules (which you need to make yourself familiar with if you haven't already). As Pacificflights advised - call the airlines directly because things change all the time.

Good luck!

Old 06-05-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
To your point...my mom wanted to take her dog in the cabin, so she ordered a "Service Animal" vest online and claimed her dog was a "Pet Therapy" dog. Expect the airlines to tighten up the certification for what is considered a "Service Animal"...
Hmmm...I DO legitimately have epilepsy...that's techchnically a disability (as defined by the ADA)... *considers this course of action for a moment*

lol - nah, I'd be afraid of what kind of karma that might send my way.

Me: D:

Old 06-05-2010, 03:17 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbloominglife View Post
Check with Continental. I spoke with them a month or two ago to get some info for a trip I'll be taking next spring. They have a "petsaver" program in which, according to a couple of different Continental employees I spoke with said that although they are techincally going as "cargo" (vs in the cabin with passengers), the area the pets travel in have the same conditions as the passenger portion of the plane (pressurized, climate controlled, etc.). They also DO allow pets small enough to fit in a carrier under your seat to fly in the cabin...but not to Hawaii due to Hawaii's extremely, uh, stringent quarantine rules (which you need to make yourself familiar with if you haven't already). As Pacificflights advised - call the airlines directly because things change all the time.

Good luck!
Continental calls it the Pet Safe program. They will fly the animals even if the temps are higher as they keep the animals in AC comfort even around the airport as they move them around.

So many people think that "cargo" means something bad. Like thisbloominglife states - the animals are in a room that is pressurized and same temps as the humans are.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Continental calls it the Pet Safe program. They will fly the animals even if the temps are higher as they keep the animals in AC comfort even around the airport as they move them around.
Oh, right! Pet SAFE. Good catch, MD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii