Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 09:41 PM

32 posts, read 110,099 times

Advertisements

Hi everbody,
Getting ready for my move to Maui, (with the pets) paperwork is in order Has anybody put their pets in the cabin? We are flying ATA and they have to fit under the seat, they look a little squashed, but laying down and sleeping they look fine. Anybody that has experienced this trip I would love to hear from you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 06:29 AM

849 posts, read 3,534,970 times
Smile are they cats or dogs?

cats don't mind a little squish but dogs may be another matter.
if they like curling up and getting into tight places I wouldn't worry about it. they say the animal should be able to stand and turn around but just think about it. when they're home, do they sleep for hours without rearranging themselves? how long is your flight? being a bit squished but being where they cna hear, smell and see you might be less traumatic than being in the hold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser100 View Post
Hi everbody,
Getting ready for my move to Maui, (with the pets) paperwork is in order Has anybody put their pets in the cabin? We are flying ATA and they have to fit under the seat, they look a little squashed, but laying down and sleeping they look fine. Anybody that has experienced this trip I would love to hear from you

Old 02-11-2008, 07:14 PM

9 posts, read 20,893 times
We are planning to move to Maui in August, and was told we would have to have our dog quarantine for 6 months after we get there, When you said with paperwork in order did you mean the pets have already been quarantine? Our dog already had his rabies shots, that's why I don't understand why he would have to be quarantine after we get to Maui. We really want to bring him with us, but we're debating on leaving him behind with family,

Old 02-11-2008, 09:27 PM

850 posts, read 4,371,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonwoodland View Post
We are planning to move to Maui in August, and was told we would have to have our dog quarantine for 6 months after we get there, When you said with paperwork in order did you mean the pets have already been quarantine? Our dog already had his rabies shots, that's why I don't understand why he would have to be quarantine after we get to Maui. We really want to bring him with us, but we're debating on leaving him behind with family,
omgoodness! do not leave your baby behind. please read the other threads in this forum about the quarantine requirements. there are many.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:34 AM

Default you have enough time but go to the HI dept of Agriculture site.

The pooch can avoid quarantine by having the rabies titer test from U. of Kansas. Your vet can do this but there are forms. You also have to have him chipped. It has to be done 120 days or more before you leave and you have to go thru HONO because that's where the quarantine sta. is. He will go in directly but has to be cleared thru the station. You have time (until Apr.) if you move fast. It'll be ok. Even if you're short a few days, he will only have to stay the difference. Kani Lehua is right don't leave him. He will help your adjustment tremendously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonwoodland View Post

Old 02-12-2008, 10:11 AM

15 posts, read 69,598 times
Default Quarantine

I'm Military being reassigned to Oahu in May. The Military has very specific guidance on pets and quarantine in Hawaii. Hawaii's Animal Quarantine Laws
Contact Info:E-mail us: rabiesfree@hawaii.gov Animal Quarantine Station phone: (808) 483-7151 or their website (Animal Quarantine Information — Hawaii Department of Agriculture). This is where all military personnel being assigned to Hawaii are directed. There is a lot of first hand knowledge and information provided. They may have certain specifics for Maui vs Oahu. I hope this helps.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:07 AM

Default military

may have more stringent guidelines but the site quoted here is the one the OP wants. I had looked into it a while back. Maui is the same as Oahu but as I mentioned the quarantine station where the animal will be cleared is at the airport in Oahu. when making your connecting flight, leave a couple of hours for the process.

[quote=EMoving;2803216] (Animal Quarantine Information — Hawaii Department of Agriculture).

Old 02-12-2008, 09:14 PM

Hi we did all our our paperwork with our vet here, you can check with dep't of agriculture for the 5 day or less program, the rule are stated online.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:19 PM

Also if you want to put your pet in the cabin ATA and US aiways allow you to do that. We are leaving from Phoenix so the tricky part is getting them there before the quaritine station closes at 3:30 pm. Thanks for eveybody's help we will let you know how it goes. If you happen to be on our our flight, I am sorry about the loud MEOW's coming from the back of the plane!!

Old 02-12-2008, 09:51 PM

28 posts, read 109,602 times
One thing to remember, ATA allows only two pets per flight in cabin. (all passengers). They have to be under 10lbs. First come first serve. Get to the airport early and be first in line! We did this flight and had no problems. Our largest dog is 9 lbs and she lifted her head on time to watch a flight attendant walk by and gave a half a bark...lol....It was a breeze for us. (6 hr. flight) good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: