Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 04:40 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,147 times

Advertisements

Aloha,
You may qualify your pet for Direct Release on Maui. There is a Veterinarian in Kihei that will meet you and your pet at the airport for the final check. However, you have to secure a 'Neighbor Island Permit' for your pet. I've received conflicting info if the receiving Vet will provide it or the AG dept so I would check... and double check w/them both. I do know the permit will only be sent to you 30 days prior to your animals arrival date.
One more very helpful bit of info for you. Do not rely on what your Vet tells you. Most are not familiar with all the procedures. Download all the forms from the AG website and provide a copy to your vet for your pets (geez, I wish I knew who I was talking about here, I feel so impersonal) file.
The labs will be faxed directly to the Honolulu Quarantine station. Send them an email and they will respond to you about the results and what you will need when 'Chewchee' arrives. The 120 day 'waiting period' starts the day the labs are received from your Vet.

It sounds and feels very mind boggling, and it is. We are bringing 3 of our family members with us when we move to the BI in June. It has been a heart wrenching decision but we had to consider a few 'personality & health issues' and 'heat sensitivity' issues and 1 just plain old bad attitude issue before we made our final decision on what to do. But, we have had plenty of time to find wonderful and loving homes for two of our kids. I have insisted they go to friends only... no strangers! Sadly, very sadly indeed, I have had to make the decision that my little PJ just would not adjust to anything, heat,confinement for even 6 hours in a kennel and especially a new home. 'Nough said, it tears me up. I am not looking forward to that task that is near at hand but I know she will be safe, happy and with me always.

So, read, download and triple check everything. Your family will arrive safe and sound and ready for a new life in Paradise.

Aloha a hui hou
Koale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 07:27 PM

649 posts, read 3,443,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HI2CA View Post
One thing to remember, ATA allows only two pets per flight in cabin. (all passengers). They have to be under 10lbs.
Well, that leaves out our Booger... he'll have to go freight, it was hard enough getting him from 16 lbs. to 14.5! He's one big kitty....

Old 02-13-2008, 09:07 PM

126 posts, read 688,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
Well, that leaves out our Booger... he'll have to go freight, it was hard enough getting him from 16 lbs. to 14.5! He's one big kitty....
Just fyi ATA doesn't take pets freight anymore.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:30 AM

649 posts, read 3,443,935 times
No problem, we're thinking Continental (they have a direct flight from Newark to HNL that will probably be the lowest stress for him, and a climate-controlled pet area).

Thanks for the tip, though!

Old 02-22-2008, 05:21 AM

150 posts, read 725,832 times
I am trying to find other means of getting my three cats over to Maui in a few months and I came accross this website

Pet Travel Information for People Vacationing With Cats or Dogs

I've sent them an email and I'm waiting for a response about bringing cats on board. Hope something interesting pops up.

Anybody ever hear of them?

Old 02-22-2008, 06:44 PM

72 posts, read 346,715 times
Never heard of them but please keep us updated on what you find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: