Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 05:10 PM

338 posts, read 1,624,287 times

Advertisements

I'm going to visit Hawaii for the first time in September (not sure which island) and I have read about the Cane Spiders. I am VERY afraid of spiders and I was wondering how common it is to see one? Are they in certain areas more than others? Are they commonly found in the nice hotels? Are they on the beach? I have never heard anyone come back from Hawaii and talk about them. I live in Arizona and we have black widows, tarantulas, scorpions and rattle snakes and most people hardly every encounter them in their home except I encounter quite a few scorpions in my home. Even though they are venomous, I am more afraid of a harmless spider than I am of a bark scorpion. I know crazy huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 05:32 PM

216 posts, read 1,185,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyz911 View Post
I'm going to visit Hawaii for the first time in September (not sure which island) and I have read about the Cane Spiders. I am VERY afraid of spiders and I was wondering how common it is to see one? Are they in certain areas more than others? Are they commonly found in the nice hotels? Are they on the beach? I have never heard anyone come back from Hawaii and talk about them. I live in Arizona and we have black widows, tarantulas, scorpions and rattle snakes and most people hardly every encounter them in their home except I encounter quite a few scorpions in my home. Even though they are venomous, I am more afraid of a harmless spider than I am of a bark scorpion. I know crazy huh?

Hi! I have lived on the leeward side of the Big Island, and have worked in Waimea,for seventeen years. I have seen about two in that entire time. I believe they mostly live in the sugar cane fields and only very occasionally make their way to the place where people live. No worries!

Old 03-20-2008, 05:36 PM

2 posts, read 13,994 times
I have visited Hawaii so many times, and in the bigger cities I am sure there is nothing like those in the hotels or any public places.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:24 PM

Thanks guys. I feel better now. Only seeing 2 in 17 years is very good. I have seen 7 scorpions in 7 months- in my house!

Old 03-21-2008, 01:38 PM

7,913 posts, read 932,573 times
we see about 3 or 4 a year in our house but we live in a heavily wooded area. you wont see one in a nice hotel.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:38 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,457,849 times
I have lived here for a year and have seen two- but I live in a very rural spot of Kauai. I work in a hotel and have never received a complaint from a guest about seeing a cane spider.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:54 PM

Thanks guys. *BIG SIGH of relief* I feel so much better now knowing that I most likely will not see one on my vacay.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:48 PM

2 posts, read 16,049 times
About cane spiders,
I lived in Hawaii for 30ish years. You will see them in the older homes, places up against the mountains etc. As far as seeing them in hotels, I actually had a couple of them show up at our hotel on Maui, it was the bungalows at the Sheraton I believe. You will find them on the Windward side of Oahu and in Manoa, AinaHaina. Roll up your car windows if you park your car while driving around the island...they like to 'hitchhike'.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:51 PM
MWS

8 posts, read 68,677 times
Blue, I too live in Arizona and am deathly afraid of spiders! I will be moving to the Big Island in May and have read a lot about Cane Spiders and Happy Face Spiders.

About them not being in nice hotels....that goes for sh**y hotels too. I visit the island 2-3 times a years, stayed in the cheapest hotels in Hilo (which I love, they have character) and have never seen any spiders. When looking at homes to buy, I have only seen Happy Face spiders and they were on bushes (seemed very harmless).

I used to live in a home in AZ that was a scorpian hotel (and I hate them almost as much as spiders - but spiders still take the cake). I currently live in a COMPLETELY bug free home and love it. Because of my positive experiences with spiders on the island (seeing hardly any and none in the houses or hotels) I have decided they are not going to deter me from moving there.

With all that said, I think you will find your trip quite enjoyable and spider free.

I hope this helps. Have a great time!

Old 03-24-2008, 09:17 AM

5 posts, read 24,317 times
Man, I'm moving out to Oahu this December and have heard about the cane spiders, but not about the happy face spiders... I have this huge fear of spiders - Are they dangerous? Do they bite? Do you find these spiders in the city (honolulu?) eek!!

Love Hawaii though -- I'm from Wisconsin but I travel all over, can't wait to make the final move..

Travelindude~
Mod cut: Absolutely no advertising in this Forum! Read the TOS.

Last edited by 7th generation; 03-24-2008 at 10:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii