Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 01:07 PM

338 posts, read 1,624,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWS View Post
Blue, I too live in Arizona and am deathly afraid of spiders! I will be moving to the Big Island in May and have read a lot about Cane Spiders and Happy Face Spiders.

About them not being in nice hotels....that goes for sh**y hotels too. I visit the island 2-3 times a years, stayed in the cheapest hotels in Hilo (which I love, they have character) and have never seen any spiders. When looking at homes to buy, I have only seen Happy Face spiders and they were on bushes (seemed very harmless).

I used to live in a home in AZ that was a scorpian hotel (and I hate them almost as much as spiders - but spiders still take the cake). I currently live in a COMPLETELY bug free home and love it. Because of my positive experiences with spiders on the island (seeing hardly any and none in the houses or hotels) I have decided they are not going to deter me from moving there.

With all that said, I think you will find your trip quite enjoyable and spider free.

I hope this helps. Have a great time!
Thank you for your post. That makes me feel better. Yeah my place seems like a scorpion hotel too- Haven't seen one in 5 days though since the exterminator came. The Happy Face spiders look very pretty with the colors but I really don't want to see any of them either but they are not as scary as the Cane Spiders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 02:06 PM

649 posts, read 3,444,731 times
Does anybody have any photos of these spiders (cane, happy face) that they could post? Or any others? We took a pic of a cool spider (OK, we like spiders! what can I say?) at our new house, I will post that tonight after I get home and maybe someone will know what it is.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:43 PM

338 posts, read 1,624,933 times

here's one. If you go to google images- and type "Cane Spiders" quite a few come up. They sure are creepy looking dudes.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:10 PM

OK, anybody know what this is? We found it on the outside wall of our shed. (You have to click on the thumbnail to get a good view, I don't know how to make it put the photo right in line without a thumbnail - maybe it's just too big or something.)
Attached Thumbnails
Cane Spiders-img_1152_1.jpg  

Old 03-25-2008, 10:18 PM
MWS

8 posts, read 68,703 times
That too, is a picture of a Cane Spider. The Cane Spider has different variations to it, but that's it too. This one looks very similar to a Banana Spider and I believe that the Banana Spider is even in the same family of the Cane; Argiope Appensa.

For as much as I am TERRIFIED of spiders, I have done research on who my neighbors will be. These spiders "are harmless", from what I've read.

Hope this helps and please don't make me look at any more pictures of spiders!

Old 05-19-2008, 11:42 PM

7,913 posts, read 933,225 times
I went to turn on my light in my room the other night and about 5in from my hand was this cane spider. not the bigest one ive seen.
here is an albino cockarouch

Old 05-26-2008, 01:52 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,298,275 times
OK can I share my favorite cane spider story?

I lived in Hawaii when I went to college and we were at the drive in (pearl ridge). Anyway, so we were not paying attention to the movie and all of a sudden we look up and see a big cane spider on the windshield. It was almost as big as my hand. Of course I screamed and freaked out and my boyfriend said no to worry roll up the windows and he would turn on the wipers and knock it off. SOOOO up went the windows (sure didn't want him jumping in on us) and he turned on the wipers. We anxiously watched in anticipation of the spider getting smashed or jumping off the windshield when we noticed that the wiper wasn't bothering him because HE WAS ON THE INSIDE!!!!!!!!!!! That was a date I will never forget! LOL

Old 05-26-2008, 06:01 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,469,400 times
The happy-face spiders

Old 05-26-2008, 06:06 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,469,400 times
Hawaiian Creatures - Cane Spiders

Old 05-26-2008, 07:49 PM

Thanks for those great links! I am so bummed that the happy-face spiders aren't on Kauai - I think they're beautiful. Oh, well, I'm sure we'll have something just as interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii