Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 06:30 PM

23 posts, read 59,429 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I may be relocating (again) and have been scouring the threads on the HR area. So far VB appeals to me because there is a lot to do and certain areas have good high schools. Here's my situation, and if you can offer any advice, I'd appreciate it! I will be working 6 months - 1 year in Norfolk, as well as doing the Career Switchers program @ ODU (most likely, got a recommendation on it from a friend) for getting licensed to teach secondary ed in VA. I chose the area I'm in now because it's more suburban but accessible to the city (I'm in the North Shore area of MA). I am concerned of limiting my commute as I will need to be job hunting in VA school districts after that, so the Norfolk commute will probably be only for a year or so. But my child is in high school, so I need to keep him there (i.e. no moving for another 3 years). Once I move, this is it, so need to choose wisely based on current and future commutes. I will be renting (pets, up to $1250/mo 2 bedroom), want suburban but close to urban area (safe for a high schooler, but close to stuff to do for a 30-something single mom such as arts, entertainment, live music, walking/hiking, etc). The variable commute after the next year and remaining in the same school district is my concern. Is VB wise with that consideration? The Williamsburg area doesn't appeal to me because with no younger children, and I'm not that old myself, it seems like not the best fit. I've seen that the Cox and Princess Ann high schools are the most highly regarded in VB, but if you could offer your thoughts on the commute issue, that would be wonderful. Thanks Also - I'm considering VB because we're trying to move closer to Fairfax, VA (close than MA, ha ha, I know it's 3+ hours from VB). With my short-term job assignment, it's either Norfolk or Richmond area. Richmond area doesn't appeal so far based on my preliminary research because I like a good mix of urban & suburban - am I wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 07:10 PM

111 posts, read 364,323 times
Default Suggestions

Try Marina Shores Apartments on Shore Drive. The reason I suggest it is because it is in the Cox High district, and it would be my pick. Cox is affluent for the most part. You find certain problems are fewer there, but they do have some problems you would find in any high school. I would not consider Princess Anne to be highly regarded. Their IB program is but most students are not a part of that.

I actually teach, and I'm from Massachusetts, too.

It is difficult to find a teaching position around here. What do you plan to teach?

Old 01-13-2009, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the info. I am planning to teach English (MS or HS).

Old 01-13-2009, 10:33 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,454,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalipsoh View Post
Thanks for the info. I am planning to teach English (MS or HS).
Actually VB is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be and yes, many of my neighbors with high school age children moved to my area so their kids could go to Princess Anne. Their athletic program is great too. It's ranked 167th in the nation by Newsweek Magazine. Here is the link to both schools: Princess Anne High School Home Page

Welcome - Frank W. Cox High School

Old 01-14-2009, 11:55 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,932,277 times
Virginia Beach would be a good fit for you. And depending on where you are in Virginia Beach, Norfolk could either be 5 minutes or 55 minutes away. I'd recommend living in the Shore Drive area, the Oceanfront area, Pembroke area, or Lynnhaven area so your child can go to a nice school and those areas are good as far as nightlife too. Plus, they have easy access to interstates and aren't far from Norfolk. For example, if you live in the Pembroke area, your kid would either go to Bayside High or Princess Anne High, you'd have the Town Center which has plenty of restauarants and bars, easy access to I-264 which takes you to Downtown Norfolk (about a 10 min drive from Town Center) or to the Oceanfront (about 10 min also from Town Center), and I-64 which takes you to Richmond or Chesapeake/Suffolk. Whatever you do, try not to live in the Pungo area of Virginia Beach. It's still mostly farmland and is far from EVERYTHING.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:33 PM

Thanks xGrendelx for the info on neighborhoods. I'm going down for a visit next month and this will greatly help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area