Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 11:17 PM

3 posts, read 8,307 times

Advertisements

I am a 29 year old working professional (single) who is considering a position at NSU and would love any info or advice on housing and living in Norfolk/Va Beach. It seems like most of the information is unfortunately very negative.

Anyhow, I would be working with an ok budget (say $1200 or less for a studio or preferably one bedroom). I am single and work hard, but also like to have a good time. I was hoping to live in an area where I can walk to nightlife and entertainment spots and meet other young people, and be out of the bad areas of the city. I would be coming from a small town about 40 miles outside of downtown Nashville, TN. The town I live in is absolutely terrible for younger people and I hope that despite the negative reviews, Norfolk could be a step up.

Many thanks for any info or advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 02:14 PM

Anyone???

Any info on living in Downtown vs Town Center vs Virginia Beach??

I looked at websites for buildings like 411 Granby and the Alexander at Ghent (Downtown), the Cosmopolitan (Town Center), and have no clue about Va Beach upper-level studio/1br rentals.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,765 times
Dude, are you living under a rock???? There's a hurricane going through the area you're asking about. Many people in the area don't have power, and if they do, answering your question probably isn't too high on their priority list.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:33 PM

Yeah, I must have missed the news. Thanks for taking the time to formulate a helpful response.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:13 AM

419 posts, read 903,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpete_1 View Post
I am a 29 year old working professional (single) who is considering a position at NSU and would love any info or advice on housing and living in Norfolk/Va Beach. It seems like most of the information is unfortunately very negative.

Anyhow, I would be working with an ok budget (say $1200 or less for a studio or preferably one bedroom). I am single and work hard, but also like to have a good time. I was hoping to live in an area where I can walk to nightlife and entertainment spots and meet other young people, and be out of the bad areas of the city. I would be coming from a small town about 40 miles outside of downtown Nashville, TN. The town I live in is absolutely terrible for younger people and I hope that despite the negative reviews, Norfolk could be a step up.

There are areas that are funandn have a younger crowd but only one that I know of that truly allows walking to and from the bars, restaruants, etc. That is teh Ghent area. The ocenafront can also offer some walkable places but it is really for tourists, not really your meet and greet vibe for the young folks.
Other areas you might consider would be Chicks Beach/Shore drive area of Virginia Beach and I am told the town cetner area is fun but cannot attest to that.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,572 times
Default Moving

Quote:
Yeah, I must have missed the news. Thanks for taking the time to formulate a helpful response.

Until you get to know the area a little better I'd say Towne Center will offer all you mentioned - you're just a little farther out from NSU.

You're far enough away from the beach that there won't be too much of an issue with the storms as the previous guy so tactfully mentioned.

When you think of Ghent think "artsy". It's a small community, with good restaurants and a few nice bars and not too far from NSU.

Downtown isn't bad either.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:28 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,465,602 times
Quote:

For $1,200 you can probably stay downtown. $1,200 should get you into a decent area; there is a lot of fear and loathing of cities like Norfolk on C-D, don't pay them any mind (not just on the HR forum either). You can walk to stuff downtown Norfolk, but keep in mind, it is not the music town that Nashville is. Nashville may have 20 times the scene that Norfolk does. But it should be urban enough, even if it isn't what Nashville is. Norfolk is definitely more urban than Virginia Beach; though Town Center and the Oceanfront aren't bad, VB is more of a suburban place, and probably not what you are looking for.

This isn't to say that Norfolk is not sketchy, because that is the primary reason that Virginia Beach is as big of a place as it is (people moving there to get away from Norfolk). Take it all with a grain of salt and in stride and spend a day to check out Norfolk for yourself and come to your own conclusions.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:52 PM

154 posts, read 388,843 times
Norfolk is a good place for a young person and I'd recommend it over VB, but that's just my personal opinion as I like a true downtown and an area like Ghent versus Town Center.

One warning, the male to female ratio is not in your favor due to the Navy! That's not to say that it's impossible to meet someone, but it will be much tougher than in other areas.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:18 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,465,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stva View Post
Norfolk is a good place for a young person and I'd recommend it over VB, but that's just my personal opinion as I like a true downtown and an area like Ghent versus Town Center.

One warning, the male to female ratio is not in your favor due to the Navy! That's not to say that it's impossible to meet someone, but it will be much tougher than in other areas.
If the OP chooses to visit one thing they will notice is that everything in VB, with the exception of the Oceanfront itself, seems rather artificial. A lot of strip malls, a lot of boutiques, little originality. Most young people prefer the energy of a city with a bit of history behind it. Norfolk is a much, much, older city than VB, which is an invention of the latter part of the twentieth century.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:36 AM

4 posts, read 6,507 times
hey man.. any update on this since 2011? I am in the same situation moving from Florida and have no idea where to live. I heard the beach is fun during the summer but is awful during the winter. I want a decent nightlife and area with singles in their 20s.. thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area