Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 11:43 AM

4 posts, read 24,542 times

Advertisements

You really should rent a house first, not buy in HRoads, as it's a declining market. You can rent a nice house in a decent neighborhood for less than 1500 a month-- plenty of room for dogs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 05:09 PM

14 posts, read 277,784 times
Default Taxes?

I will look into renting. I just have such a bad experience with people not accepting dogs.... especially big ones. But it's worth a shot.

Does anyone know about the taxes? First of all, New York taxes are astronomical, so anything in comparison is going to be much less. A few people have told me "don't let the taxes fool you. The property tax is low, but they slap you with a luxury tax..." Does anyone know any details of this luxury tax? Either way it has got to be lower than NY.
Just wondering, though.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:54 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,456,942 times
Luxury tax here, is eating out. Then there's personal property tax: Vehicles, boats, RV's etc. Military does not pay these taxes. One thing I have discovered in my travels, is that in VA, sales tax is set. In the Pacific Northwest, their sales taxes are divided. Never seen such a mess. The shampoo I pay 8.50 for here, is 16.99 there. Dairy, meat, and the like of grocery shopping is all taxed seperately.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:08 PM

4 posts, read 24,542 times
Ummm, Alli, I think the person above telling you that Ocean View is "full of nice people" may have been being somewhat sarcastic. O. View does have a cluster of million dollar homes on the beach in E. O. View, & there are some pockets of nicer areas of a few blocks scattered here & there, but the rest of the area is pretty dicey. The city of Norfolk has been pledging to "clean up O.View" since when I first got here-- in like 1985!

I strongly suggest you thoroughly investigate renting-- stick a "housing wanted" ad for yourself on norfolk.craigslist.com , & investigate what you can rent, before you even think of committing to buying in a market like this. You'll find many nice military people stuck with homes in good areas that they can't sell, who are trying to rent to nice people.

Lots of them are dog lovers, too!

Old 05-08-2008, 08:56 AM

14 posts, read 277,784 times
Good to know. Thanks. I think after reading what everyone has had to say about Norfolk, I've been leaning more toward Virginia Beach instead. We are trying to escape Schenectady, which is a steadily declining, depressed, ex-GE town, so we definitely would rather avoid a similar place. Although, even if it is similar but minus the NY winters, it will be a step in the right direction.

From what I've learned, it seems that Ghent and Larchmont areas are the only places worth checking out and from what I can tell, we can't really quite afford that yet.

I definitely will check out the house rentals. I've been trying to check Craigslist once in a while, just to see what's out there. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:17 PM

8 posts, read 44,390 times
we lived off of WEST little creek rd. i loved it because everything is right in arms reach. the bases, stores, shopping, good food, freeway access. everything. walmart, kmart. i loved it there. stay away from central downtown area. alot of crime there. nice to visit but not live.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:40 PM

8 posts, read 31,869 times
I'm sorry Ghent is nice I work there at HD Oliver. The problem I see is the crime rate. If you watch the news thats where the most murders happen. Every morning you hear about someone getting shot in Norfolk. Not from a nationwide stand point either. Not just Oceanview either.

But yes Ghent is nice its not cheap but you can't really walk outside at night alone either. Ghent reminds me of CaryTown in Richmond a little. The city has plenty of employment opportunities. Lots of nice bars and restaurants.

I wouldnt live there though. You can live in Virginia Beach cheaper for a similar spot and just commute to Norfolk. I know it takes me about 15 minutes with light traffic.

I know that apt living in Virginia Beach is kinda crazy. For a decent apt you will spend $1,000 a month. The ones that are $850.00 are not worth it. Don't live in Town Center either cause although its in a prime location You will spend $1,200 for an apt and customer service in Virginia Beach is terrible.

The people in Virginia Beach are a strange bunch. A lot of military coming and going. People here from my 28 years of living are not as friendly as say people in OK,SC,NC,WV,CA,TN

People here are very self centered. NO matter where you work here it is very cut throat. I don't think NY was anything like this.

The cops here are alright just dont speed. Not even a little cause they will give a ticket for going a little over.

Gas prices are high just like anywhere. We are at $4.00 a gallon i think.

It is also very easy to get a gun in this state and a CWP. The laws in Virginia a probably some of the strictest you will ever come accross. New York doesnt do it like we do. Dont screw up in the Commonwealth.

But I will say if you buy a home you will be very close to schools. There is a TON of Navy here and Army.

I would have to tell you to check out Williamsburg. It is not close to Virginia Beach or Norfolk maybe 50 min drive but it is quiet lots of trees big retirement area. It is not cheap but compared to the southside it is worth it in the long run.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 5,288 times
Hi OceanAlli....I'm currently in NJ but I lived in Albany until three years ago...my family is still there....anywho... I just came from Norfolk July 4th weekend...and I have to agree with the posts....I will say its a big big difference from schenectady....well maybe its the same as schenectady....but i have to say my husband and I are looking to move to chesapeake or Virginia Beach....my husband is being stationed in Norfolk...we have a lil more to take into considersation...the school system and so forth...I love the superintendent of Norfolk Public Schools I'm familiar with him...as he used to be in Syracuse where I attended high school and college...so that was exciting but seeing how so much of Norfolk that we saw was occupied by college housing or the ghetto it scared me....now there were parts of the ghetto that private companies were building these awesome communities with houses for sale or rent....Blessings on finding what you are looking for.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:32 PM

10 posts, read 27,390 times
Default Manager, Relocation Services Rose & Womble Realty

Norfolk is a great place to live especially if you will be attending ODU, want an environment you can walk to restaurants, parks, Starbucks etc. It also offers a lot of cultural activities. There are many great neighborhoods that would fit your criteria depending on price range - a couple include Ghent (mentioned a few times already) and Larchmont. Virginia Beach and Chesapeake are possible options too depending on the lifestyle and environment you are looking for. Moderator cut: advertising is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 07-11-2008 at 02:56 AM..

Old 10-25-2008, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,016 times
There are a lot of good areas to live near ODU - within 3 miles, not 30 minutes! I moved here so my husband could work at ODU and we really like our neighborhood, Lafayette-Winona in Norfolk VA. Safe, dog park, children's playground, good walking streets, nice neighbors, strong civic league,etc. I am very familiar with VB neighborhoods and many parts of Chesapeake as well, so feel free to contact me for info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area