Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 11:59 AM

2 posts, read 10,823 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving to this area in 3 months and I've done a lot of research. I know Ghent is the safest area but it's rather expensive. Are there any other areas of Norfolk that I could get a 1bdrm (possibly and hopefully a 2bdrm) for $800 and under?

I'm a SWF, mid 30's and I'd like to be near the bay but keep hearing awful things about willoughby and Ocean avenue. I'd love to have a duplex or small house but I'm sure that's out of range. So I'm settling on an apartment. If anyone knows decent to above average safe apartments, i would love to have a list to keep on me so the next time I visit I can check them out.

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 02:09 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times
There are several nice areas in norfolk. Check out the areas by the Airport/Botanical Gardens. Nice houses and condos on Military Hwy.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:00 AM

328 posts, read 1,539,933 times
Military Highway is safe? Since When? ..
Despite what you might have heard, Ghent isn't all expensive. My 1BR is under $800 w. all Utils incl + Free Cable TV. Found the place in the Virginian-Pilot. Yes, Ghent is pretty safe and peaceful.
Be sure to check any area in Norfolk at night when it is dark out. There are a lot of bad areas around here in terms of crime, murders..
Check out the paper hon. Try & Avoid Craigslist at all costs unless you are feeling up to living with a pervert or perhaps someone looking to have you for supper. Not knocking Craigs but just trying to give ya a heads up that there is some pretty bad people on that site (Scammers, Prostitutes..)

Last edited by BikesareBetter; 07-21-2008 at 04:18 AM..

Old 07-21-2008, 07:15 AM

2 posts, read 10,823 times
Thanks Erma & Bikes!

And thanks for the tip about craigslist, I look there quite often!

Old 07-21-2008, 10:30 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,863,050 times
I would have to agree that Ghent is one of the safest areas in Norfolk. If you can find something under $800.00 that is great but Ghent can be expensive.....good luck!

Old 07-21-2008, 10:53 AM

209 posts, read 771,274 times
My favorite passtime is trolling craigslist to see what crap people have posted. lol There is ALOT of hate there... alot... sadly.

I suggest you check out Ghent too. It is low cost and a nice place. I moved to Virginia Beach, 10 minutes from the water, and my rent is stupid. It's not high, but for the small cracker box I got, it should be less or at least include more than just water, washer, and drier... Good thing I got a short lease! I'll be out in a month and looking for a new place to settle.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:19 PM

23 posts, read 85,542 times
Check out Olde Towne (portsmouth). It's in some ways a smaller and cheaper version of Ghent. To my mind, Ghent, Downtown Norfolk and Olde Towne are three great neighborhoods, a corridor of what's best in the area. If you started in Ghent, you could walk downtown, then take the ferry ($1) across the Elizabeth River, which drops you off in Olde Towne. I might go a week without having to drive bcs everything is within walking distance. Give it a look. I sound like a booster, I know, but I love this neighborhood.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:46 PM

209 posts, read 771,274 times
I went through Olde Towne today for the first time. It seems to have alot of nice shops and things to do if you are a bit of a townie. I couldn't live that far out though, with all the Yorktown driving I do.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:47 AM

9 posts, read 40,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by one crowded hour View Post
Check out Olde Towne (portsmouth). It's in some ways a smaller and cheaper version of Ghent. To my mind, Ghent, Downtown Norfolk and Olde Towne are three great neighborhoods, a corridor of what's best in the area. If you started in Ghent, you could walk downtown, then take the ferry ($1) across the Elizabeth River, which drops you off in Olde Towne. I might go a week without having to drive bcs everything is within walking distance. Give it a look. I sound like a booster, I know, but I love this neighborhood.
Could you please comment on nightlife or other things to do in Olde Towne Portsmouth for a 23 yr old professional just starting a job at the Shipyard? It looked really quiet there Saturday night - very few folks walking around - versus lots more activity on Granby St on the Norfolk side.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:27 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeshare Queen View Post
Could you please comment on nightlife or other things to do in Olde Towne Portsmouth for a 23 yr old professional just starting a job at the Shipyard? It looked really quiet there Saturday night - very few folks walking around - versus lots more activity on Granby St on the Norfolk side.
I wouldn't go out at night in olde towne portsmouth. It's really not safe.
I believe your daughter would be happiest in Ghent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area