Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:35 AM

161 posts, read 685,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steflee55 View Post
Tracy, I am moving to the area in August and will be considering Ghent myself. once you get around and see the area, please do keep in touch and let me know your opinion. I am looking for a 3 bedroom house preferably. I've seen the apartments that Ghent has to offer, they're not bad, but like I said, I'm hoping for a house.
Ghent is my favorite place in Hampton Roads. It's so nice there but I don't notice a lot of houses being available. I see a lot of apartments or old homes converted into apartments. The farther out of Ghent you go, the more houses that are available. It is doable I'm just saying I don't notice too many.

To the OG poster: As mentioned, walking Shore Drive is very dangerous. There have been SO many wrecks on that road.

I think Ghent is a good choice and the commute won't be too bad. I hope you enjoy your time here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 4,235 times
Smile housing

i too am looking for a 3 bedroom. My husband will be working at fort monroe for a year, then to fort eustis. Any ideas on best place to live, i here we do not want to live near the tunnels because of traffic.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,925 times
We are thinking about moving to Virginia Beach, and we need to know a great area to live and raise a family. We have a fourteen year old daughter who will be attending tenth grade this year. We are looking to buy a new home in a great area with a lot of activities. Any ideas?

Old 08-05-2010, 06:22 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,018,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenandmarlo View Post
We are thinking about moving to Virginia Beach, and we need to know a great area to live and raise a family. We have a fourteen year old daughter who will be attending tenth grade this year. We are looking to buy a new home in a great area with a lot of activities. Any ideas?

Lot of great neighborhoods in Va Bch but without a price point from you its useless to offer certain neighborhoods or school distrcts

Old 08-10-2010, 08:51 PM

49 posts, read 77,755 times
Before you jump on the Ghent bandwagon, the area does have its share of hobos and malcontents wandering aimlessly about the sidewalks in front of those trendy restaurants. Best to take it block by block and make sure that you chose a place in a neighborhood that you feel comfortable. 4 blocks in Ghent can take you from Che Pierre' to the hood. Doesn't strike me as a particularly dangerous place, I just prefer the company of upper middle class folks to the grumbly, grungy, wandering poor.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:30 AM

1 posts, read 3,651 times
Hi, I am moving next summer to Norfolk, VA area. I will be working at ODU. I have 2 young children. We all love beach but I am worried that it is not suitable for family living. Can you suggest any suitable areas to live?

Old 05-08-2013, 01:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,569 times
Hi everybody! My name is Tommy, looks like I will be moving in the area around August also. I currently live in Portland Maine. I live in town and walk to everything. Ghent sounds like what I would be used to...I'll be working at the Naval Medical Center...Any Idea how far Ghent is to there and how the traffic is?

Old 05-11-2013, 08:46 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommydrrt View Post
Hi everybody! My name is Tommy, looks like I will be moving in the area around August also. I currently live in Portland Maine. I live in town and walk to everything. Ghent sounds like what I would be used to...I'll be working at the Naval Medical Center...Any Idea how far Ghent is to there and how the traffic is?
Well the Naval Medical Center is in Portsmouth. You'll have to take the downtown tunnel or the midtown tunnel. Both are about the same. Traffic backs up in the tunnels, so it could be anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour or more.

Midtown tunnel is actually in Ghent though, so it may be more convenient. But as far as the traffic backups, and how long it takes you to get through either, that part will end up being the same. Only takes 5 minutes to get to the downtown tunnel from Ghent anyway.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:52 AM

6 posts, read 7,857 times
Ghent area in Norfolk, VA is too crowded and over Priced. Each person is living on top of each other. Matter of fact the city of Norfolk, VA is getting too crowded. They building condos and apartments too close together no place to enjoy yourself outside at your household. Norfolk is about money not peace and quiet living. Its getting too over populated.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:58 AM

979 posts, read 1,775,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky500 View Post
Ghent area in Norfolk, VA is too crowded and over Priced. Each person is living on top of each other. Matter of fact the city of Norfolk, VA is getting too crowded. They building condos and apartments too close together no place to enjoy yourself outside at your household. Norfolk is about money not peace and quiet living. Its getting too over populated.
Did you go digging for years-old threads about Norfolk just to complain repeatedly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area