Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 12:25 PM

386 posts, read 986,408 times

Advertisements

Does Norfolk VA and Portsmouth/Newport News resemble midatlantic cities further north like D.C. and Baltimore or does it resemble cities further south like Raleigh Charlotte NC, or Atlanta? (neighborhoods, downtown, skyline ect)
This same information was asked about Richmond, so I wanted to see people's opinions on the Norfolk area's infrastructure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 01:26 PM

275 posts, read 870,221 times
Definitely more Southern...much slower pace. Somewhat progressive but sometimes they can't get out of their own way. The thing is, the area is spread out so much, so there's not a central "business district", per se. You have downtown Norfolk, but a lot of office parks spread throughout the area.

I think we're more like a Charlotte or Raleigh area...a mid-major region that's growing. Problem is the cities have had difficulty in the past working together, but are slowly trying to change that.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:54 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,448,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
Does Norfolk VA and Portsmouth/Newport News resemble midatlantic cities further north like D.C. and Baltimore or does it resemble cities further south like Raleigh Charlotte NC, or Atlanta? (neighborhoods, downtown, skyline ect)
This same information was asked about Richmond, so I wanted to see people's opinions on the Norfolk area's infrastructure.
Southern. Now Norfolk, Newport News, and Portsmouth all have their own downtown areas. Virginia Beach has one, but not in the traditional sense, it is more of an overgrown lifestyle center. See Reston Town Center for comparisons.

This place is sort of like LA in that respect, just on a much smaller scale obviously seven counties 1.7 million people is a lot different than one county 10 million people, but the development patterns seem to be the same. I doubt you'll see much change in the near future.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:20 PM

797 posts, read 1,429,611 times
I think Norfolk and Portsmouth has more of a mid atlantic setting, compare them with cities in the mid atlantic that are their size like Fredrick md, Allentown Pa, Trenton NJ ect not DC, Baltimore, Philly even though their are some simirlarities shared even with the BIGS. BTW look at those cities thjose NC cities density levels compared to Norfolk and Richmond they are much lower. Norfolk=4363/sq mile Richmond=3211/sq mile, Raleigh=2916 Charlotte NC=2457/sq mile mind you those NC cities have a bigger pop.

Last edited by Diff1; 12-04-2012 at 03:30 PM..

Old 12-04-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
I think Norfolk and Portsmouth has more of a mid atlantic setting, compare them with cities in the mid atlantic that are their size like Fredrick md, Allentown Pa, Trenton NJ ect not DC, Baltimore, Philly even though their are some simirlarities shared even with the BIGS. BTW look at those cities thjose NC cities density levels compared to Norfolk and Richmond they are much lower. Norfolk=4363/sq mile Richmond=3211/sq mile, Raleigh=2916 Charlotte NC=2457/sq mile mind you those NC cities have a bigger pop.
Further down South you go the more spread out cities are, even in Florida. Miami seems to be the only exception to the rule.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:08 PM

386 posts, read 986,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
I asked this question because I struggle with fitting how Norfolk looks compared to midatlantic and southern cities. I think I am leaning toward midatlantic for Norfolk also due to the density. Some parts of Ghent/Freemason areas resemble the fan district in Richmond and parts of Northwest DC to an extent (without as many row homes). Someone posted an old photo of Norfolk before a lot of downtown was torn down in the 50's and the city appeared very midatlantic at that time, as far as infrastructure is concerned.

However, Chesapeake, Hampton, Virginia Beach, Suffolk feels southern/north carolina type cities in my opinion.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:13 PM

797 posts, read 1,429,611 times
I have/had same struggles with Richmond and Norfolk because they can sort of be placed in both regions, but as far as urban infrastructure is concerned they have more similarities with mid atlantic cities(esp Richmond) minus places like Charleston, Savannah, and New Orleans even though the architecture is more Geogian.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
I asked this question because I struggle with fitting how Norfolk looks compared to midatlantic and southern cities. I think I am leaning toward midatlantic for Norfolk also due to the density. Some parts of Ghent/Freemason areas resemble the fan district in Richmond and parts of Northwest DC to an extent (without as many row homes). Someone posted an old photo of Norfolk before a lot of downtown was torn down in the 50's and the city appeared very midatlantic at that time, as far as infrastructure is concerned.

However, Chesapeake, Hampton, Virginia Beach, Suffolk feels southern/north carolina type cities in my opinion.
Parts of Norfolk can be mistaken for a lot of different cities. I often wonder where Newport News fits in.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:12 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,345,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Southern. Now Norfolk, Newport News, and Portsmouth all have their own downtown areas. Virginia Beach has one, but not in the traditional sense, it is more of an overgrown lifestyle center. See Reston Town Center for comparisons.

This place is sort of like LA in that respect, just on a much smaller scale obviously seven counties 1.7 million people is a lot different than one county 10 million people, but the development patterns seem to be the same. I doubt you'll see much change in the near future.
I've often thought that about Hampton Roads (that it's a little bit like LA), and I've lived in SoCal and Western Branch. LA is a patchwork of about 50 distinctly different small to medium cities/downtowns/lifestyles. Hampton Roads is pretty much the same things with 7 cities.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:55 AM

894 posts, read 2,314,682 times
If you look at historic photos of Norfolk, before the '60s, it totally resembled northern cities. From the photos I saw, it looked like a flat coastal Pittsburgh. Then the city leaders in their infinite wisdom decided to level downtown except for Granby St. Just imagine Granby extended over the entire downtown and beyond. Not just one street. That's what Norfolk looked like. It makes me mad every time I look at those old pictures of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area