Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 04:27 PM

20 posts, read 109,246 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning a relocation to Norfolk or Portsmouth, VA in about two years.

We would like to know if anyone could give us guidance about where to move. I will be working for a major hospital system and he is a truck driver, we are both Christian with grown children and grandchildren. I am a cancer survivor and would like to be able to walk without fear of being jumped for some pocket change, cell phone....We currently live in Memphis, TN and want OUT.

We are your typical middle class, middle aged people. We enjoy horses and hiking and some history.

Anything you could tell us would be highly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 08:56 PM

27 posts, read 152,691 times
Early welcome to Hampton Roads! As stated in many other posts... you would want to live and work on the same side of any given bridge/tunnel in this area due to traffic. So try to avoid living in Norfolk and having to commute to Portsmouth or vice versa. Horses, hiking and history sounds a lot like Williamsburg & Yorktown areas of Virginia rather than Norfolk or Portsmouth which are very urban. Our big hospital systems are Sentara and Bon Secours.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:29 AM

20 posts, read 109,246 times
:-) Thank you very much!!!

Old 03-03-2008, 07:34 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,410 times
There are many nice, established neighborhoods in Portsmouth. Most of them are all located on the NE side of the city - away from the downtown area. You would also be close to Chesapeake Square Mall - 3 super Walmarts, Target and a brand new Kohls (and other shops soon to come).

Right in the middle of Hampton Roads - 30 min to Newport News or Virginia Beach (not in rush hour though .

Old 03-06-2008, 09:08 AM

132 posts, read 660,949 times
Also ,you might want to look into Suffolk. It is still mostly rural, but developing quickly. Many areas still allow horses depending on local zoning.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:13 AM

132 posts, read 660,949 times
"We currently live in Memphis, TN and want OUT."

Thats funny you say that. I recently had an opportunity to relocate to Memphis with my job, but couldnt sell my home quickly enough. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise. I researched the area for months, and visited for a few days. Cost of living is very cheap there, but I guess there is a reason!

Old 04-06-2008, 09:19 PM

2 posts, read 7,544 times
I have lived in Portsmouth, Va. for over 30 years and my husband says it is a best kept secret. You hear a lot of bad stuff but we live close to downtown in an older neigborhood. It is true that some areas are not so good. But the West ParkView section has been good for us. They have built some very expensive homes near the Navel Hospital too. But take my advice and live in the City that the hospital is in that you are going to work at. The tunnel traffice is horrific!! Trust me, I work in Norfolk and the only thing that saves me is that I work shift work so I miss the traffic delima at peak times.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:19 PM

19 posts, read 84,060 times
You didn't say if you want to own horses, or just be close to a ranch or stables (or both). Suffolk, Chesapeake, and Virginia Beach all have rural areas, but I can't really think of any in Portsmouth or Norfolk.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:38 AM

1 posts, read 3,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeptmbrzBrz View Post
My husband and I are planning a relocation to Norfolk or Portsmouth, VA in about two years.

We would like to know if anyone could give us guidance about where to move. I will be working for a major hospital system and he is a truck driver, we are both Christian with grown children and grandchildren. I am a cancer survivor and would like to be able to walk without fear of being jumped for some pocket change, cell phone....We currently live in Memphis, TN and want OUT.

We are your typical middle class, middle aged people. We enjoy horses and hiking and some history.

Anything you could tell us would be highly appreciated.
We own a home in a historical section of Portsmouth called Port Norfolk. It is a quaint area with two churches within walking distance of the home and one has bells that ring every day at noon. We are nearly finished updating and renovating the home and are looking for a nice family to rent it. This was our first home. We have owned it for 18 years. The renovations and updating my husband has done are beautiful!! The kitchen has new marble counter tops and will soon have ceramic tile floors. We have removed all the carpeting and it has finished heart of pine floors in most of the remainder of the house. It has 3 bedrooms and 1.5 baths.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:02 AM

61 posts, read 155,525 times
There are horse pastures on Dock Landing Road in Chesapeake, about 20 minutes from Portsmouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area