Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 03:20 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,550,879 times

Advertisements

What color was on your hair BEFORE you went to the salon and had it done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 08:30 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,653,581 times
Just call the salon and tell them what happened.They will be glad to fix it. They want happy return customers but can't help you if you t5ell them.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,745 times
Smile New growth too long

just a thought. The first 1/2 inch of your roots is the hardest to accept color. The longer the hair grows out
the more porous it is and it accepts color more readily.

That is the reason why you only leave color on the ends for 3 minutes and the roots for 30 minutes.. My guess is that by coloring 2 inches of regrowth the hair accepted the color closer to the scalp, and less color at the last inch or so. Thus, the banding effect. I kind of did that to my own hair! So your question was close to my heart (and pocket book) right now.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:28 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
If you don't want to go back to the salon for a fix just box color it yourself to something darker whenever you want, it will be fine. I think your colorist just went too light to blend well with the rest of your hair. If you want to lighten it up you will have to live with a two tone head of hair for awhile though. That's the downside of dying your white hair really dark. I'm totally white now but I dye to a neutral light brown with highlights so the new growth blends a bit better. I do get the "wide part" look if I don't touch up every 6 weeks but sometimes just have the crown done (or use a home touch up kit) to buy me a couple more weeks.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie09 View Post
I'm in my early 50s & have shorter hair, it's dark brown hair with grey that comes in if I don't color it. Usually use permanent color every 6 weeks, sometimes do it myself, sometimes have it salon-colored. Recently, (for no good reason but laziness) I let it go for 3 months without coloring. Had about 2 inches of grey roots showing (actually looked bright white, much whiter than previously, why, just due to aging?) After 3 months, there was such an extreme contrast between my white roots and my dark brown ends that started to look like I had a gigantic bald spot at my scalp!

Anyway, finally got my hair colored this week at a salon using the same stylist who had colored my hair 3 months earlier. 3 months earlier, my hair color came out too dark, almost black, and took weeks for it to fade, but at least the grey roots were totally covered up. This time, to try and avoid that "fake black" look, I asked for slightly lighter hair color (more medium brown rather than dark brown.) Well, the results were: my grey/white roots were hardly covered up by the color at all, the color hardly "took." (I have 2 inches of roots which look reddish-brown, while the ends of my hair remain dark brown.) Yes, my roots aren't grey/white like before, but they're are a lot lighter than the ends of my hair-- which give me a two-toned look! (And if you're wondering why I didn't speak up immediately about this at the salon, it was because I was shocked by the results, but wasn't quite sure how bad it was till after I left.)

Wondering why this happened-- was it because I asked for slightly lighter hair color? If so, shouldn't the stylist have warned me as the customer that this might happen? (this salon is lower-priced than most in this area, not the most upscale but also not the most bargain-priced, what responsibility do they have for this mistake?) Or is the reason for this result that I seem to have stubborn, color-resistant hair? Most of the time, I've asked stylists to leave the color in an extra 10 minutes (also do this when coloring my hair at home.) Well, for some reason, during this past appt, I forgot to ask for that extra time (maybe because the last time I asked for this at this salon, my hair came out dark black instead of brown?) -- could that be why there's such a color contrast between my 2-inch roots & the ends of my hair? (I know I sat there a full 30 minutes while the hair color set because I checked my watch right at the beginning & later when the timer went off, isn't that usually enough time?) So is it my fault that the color didn't "catch" like it should, because I forgot to ask for that extra 10 minutes? (and the salon/sylist are not responsible for this at all?)

Right now it's 4 days later and I've shampooed/conditioned (used products for color-treated hair)-- and the contrast between the roots and the ends looks even worse! Not as bad as when I had 2 inches of white roots & it looked like I had a bald spot, but not looking worthy of a $60 color job! (No, it doesn't look at all like highlights.) And of course, over time the color will fade further & look even worse!

I'm very dissatisfied, worried that the roots will soon fade right back to grey/white. But don't want to use that stylist again or ever go back to that salon. Instead, I'd like to correct this myself (without having to spend more money at a salon.) Would like to put dark brown hair color on the roots myself, using box color that's been successful for me in the past. Is this the easy solution or am I just asking for more trouble?

Questions --
-- will it damage my hair to put permant color over permanent color?
-- if not, can I add the color immediately? Or how long do I have to wait before coloring the roots? 4 weeks? (my hair will look terrible by then!)
-- any other solutions to this problem (besides just chopping off all my hair?)

Any helpful feedback will be appreciated, Thanks!
Hello Just wanted you to know it happened to me and when I brushed my hair it was coming out everyday more than I have ever seen. The solution was my daughter had me buy the organic hair color permanent and my hair is so nice and silky and soft. No hair has come out when brushing like the other one and it was so easy to do get someone to help you do it. I saved 70.00 doing it myself and I know when I am using. I am chemical issues so I should have done this a long time ago. I am never going to trust the hairdresser again. I have paid for something I did not get....

Old 01-11-2014, 05:56 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,288,122 times
Grey hair is tricky sometimes.

When I was a stylist I would "presoften" the outgrowth on some clients. I would apply 20 volume developer to the outgrowth before applying color to give it an extra boost to open that cuticle and accept the pigment.

Was this a darker color/close to your natural? If so, the stylist should have used 20 vol at the outgrowth (to help crack the cuticle of the grey and deposit the color) and 10 volume everywhere else. If they just used one formula everywhere (likely 10 vol if they were depositing a darker color or near the natural) that wouldnt be enough to get that pigment "in" to the grey hair.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:48 AM

12,061 posts, read 10,266,099 times
Quote:
I'm in my early 50s & have shorter hair, it's dark brown hair with grey that comes in if I don't color it. Usually use permanent color every 6 weeks, sometimes do it myself, sometimes have it salon-colored. Recently, (for no good reason but laziness) I let it go for 3 months without coloring. Had about 2 inches of grey roots showing (actually looked bright white, much whiter than previously, why, just due to aging?) After 3 months, there was such an extreme contrast between my white roots and my dark brown ends that started to look like I had a gigantic bald spot at my scalp!

Anyway, finally got my hair colored this week at a salon using the same stylist who had colored my hair 3 months earlier. 3 months earlier, my hair color came out too dark, almost black, and took weeks for it to fade, but at least the grey roots were totally covered up. This time, to try and avoid that "fake black" look, I asked for slightly lighter hair color (more medium brown rather than dark brown.) Well, the results were: my grey/white roots were hardly covered up by the color at all, the color hardly "took." (I have 2 inches of roots which look reddish-brown, while the ends of my hair remain dark brown.) Yes, my roots aren't grey/white like before, but they're are a lot lighter than the ends of my hair-- which give me a two-toned look! (And if you're wondering why I didn't speak up immediately about this at the salon, it was because I was shocked by the results, but wasn't quite sure how bad it was till after I left.)

Wondering why this happened-- was it because I asked for slightly lighter hair color? If so, shouldn't the stylist have warned me as the customer that this might happen? (this salon is lower-priced than most in this area, not the most upscale but also not the most bargain-priced, what responsibility do they have for this mistake?) Or is the reason for this result that I seem to have stubborn, color-resistant hair? Most of the time, I've asked stylists to leave the color in an extra 10 minutes (also do this when coloring my hair at home.) Well, for some reason, during this past appt, I forgot to ask for that extra time (maybe because the last time I asked for this at this salon, my hair came out dark black instead of brown?) -- could that be why there's such a color contrast between my 2-inch roots & the ends of my hair? (I know I sat there a full 30 minutes while the hair color set because I checked my watch right at the beginning & later when the timer went off, isn't that usually enough time?) So is it my fault that the color didn't "catch" like it should, because I forgot to ask for that extra 10 minutes? (and the salon/sylist are not responsible for this at all?)

Right now it's 4 days later and I've shampooed/conditioned (used products for color-treated hair)-- and the contrast between the roots and the ends looks even worse! Not as bad as when I had 2 inches of white roots & it looked like I had a bald spot, but not looking worthy of a $60 color job! (No, it doesn't look at all like highlights.) And of course, over time the color will fade further & look even worse!

I'm very dissatisfied, worried that the roots will soon fade right back to grey/white. But don't want to use that stylist again or ever go back to that salon. Instead, I'd like to correct this myself (without having to spend more money at a salon.) Would like to put dark brown hair color on the roots myself, using box color that's been successful for me in the past. Is this the easy solution or am I just asking for more trouble?

Questions --
-- if not, can I add the color immediately? Or how long do I have to wait before coloring the roots? 4 weeks? (my hair will look terrible by then!)

That happened to me once. Tried a more reddish color and the roots came out pink. The salon owner said no way would they let me walk out of the place like that. They re-did the color and all was ok.

But after years of coloring I have just let it go gray and I love it!

Old 01-26-2014, 10:52 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,825 times
Quote:
Questions --

I know it's been 4yrs since this post, but this info might be helpful for others!

No it will not damage as long as the at home stuff is comparable and doesn't have metallic salts or other incompatable chemicals in it.

Wait no less than a week, then you can re-color.

It's the salon's fault. They should have left the color on a MIN of 45 mins for grey coverage. They should have also used an N+ formula designed for grey hair.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,707 times
The color "brand" has little to do with the coverage. The Stylist's knowledge of color has EVERYTHING to do with why your hair "didn't take". First off, "grey" is not really what is being worked with .. its white/non pigmented hair. The first thing the stylist should have done is determine the percentage of grey (non pigmented hair) you actually have. This is a VERY important step in properly coloring "grey" hair. The amount of "grey" determines the level of developer that is used to process your color as well as the level of color to use. A level 8 or darker should always be used on hair that is more than 50% "Grey". Anything lighter than that will not have enough pigment to cover the non pigmented hair. Cool, ash tones should not be used on Non-pigmented hair as the hair lacks warmth (red/yellow) and will absorb all the cool tones making your hair turn darker than you want or even a blue, green or violet tone. Neutral shades mixed with reds or golds should be used on non pigmented hair. This doesn't mean you have to become a red head! Just make sure your colorist chooses a color that is darker than a level 8 and that is a "warm" tone. Your colorist should also know weather they have to use a color that is a shade or two darker than the desired color based on the percentage of non pigmented hair. If you have a large percentage of non-pigmented/white hair, your color is going to be lighter than the color swatch you and your stylist chose. Colors are formulated to be applied to hair that has pigment. Add red to white and you get ...PINK. Add red to light red and you get a darker red. Hope that made sense! The amount of time the color processes is also going to vary based on percentage of "grey". The more non pigmented hair, the longer the processing time will be. A steamer should always be used when coloring hair. The warm steam allows the cuticle of the hair to remain open during processing which allows for better penetration of color to the hair. The steam also keeps the hair slightly damp which allows for more even color processing. Finally, when rinsing the color out, "cool" water should be used, not hot. If hot water is used, about 20% of the color is being rinsed down the drain. Shampoo should NEVER be used to "wash out" color directly after a color service. Shampoo will do just that, wash the color down the drain. There goes another 10-20% of color! Thats 30 -40% of color going down the drain before you have even left the salon!!! After a color process, the hair cuticle is open. The cool water rinse will close the cuticle back up & allow it to "trap" in the hair color. Conditioner should be applied after the cool rinse to remove any left over dye that is on the scalp or in the hair followed again by a cool water rinse. You want to trap in that color & the conditioner to assure a vibrant, shiny result!

I hope this has been helpful information and yes...I am a professional. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care