Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 11:48 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,309,820 times

Advertisements

I just got told that on a thread. Is that kind of view prevalent...that black women should only wear their hair kinky and/or not alter their hair color as they see fit? Is there a certain look that's "wrong for your race"?

Old 09-05-2012, 12:03 PM

701 posts, read 1,564,726 times
Well seeing as how black women can have straight hair naturally, whoever told you that is beyond ignorant. That being said, I would say that this particular view is more prevalent now because when I was growing up, most Black women I came into contact with (my own family, friends, school) had relaxed hair, while I stuck out. Slick, straight, and long hair was seen as beautiful, but now the pendulum has swung in the other direction and rocking the hair you were born with is preferred and most often the hair wavy, curly, and/or kinky.

I'm all for the natural hair movement, especially as someone who has always been "natural", but not at the expense of tearing down other women who relax/perm their hair.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:26 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,916,708 times
which thread did this happen in??

Old 09-05-2012, 12:27 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,847,528 times
Is your hair in a weave(I'm not being ignorant)? I saw the post you are speaking about and I think that the particular poster and other posters were saying that your hair looked as though it were weave(i.e. fake synthetic hair) more so than they were admonishing you for wearing your hair straight. But like Silverbelles said it's extremely ignorant to assume all black women have the same type of hair. The hair color--I'm not sure what that poster meant by that. White women dye their hair all the time, as does most groups of women. I think some colors do look tacky on certain skin tones(i.e. gold on dark brown skin tones).

Old 09-05-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
which thread did this happen in??
In the relationship forum, OP created a thread about getting more attention when she is thicker.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:34 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,309,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
Is your hair in a weave(I'm not being ignorant)? I saw the post you are speaking about and I think that the particular poster and other posters were saying that your hair looked as though it were weave...
I do wear a weave to avoid damaging my natural hair. It is a 100% human hair, not synthetic. I don't know where you're getting that from, no one from that thread or any other mentioned that my hair looked like it was "in a weave". I'm sure those posters know less about weaves than you do if that's possible. I've had dark and very curly weaves and I've had my real hair blonde and straight too.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
I do wear a weave to avoid damaging my natural hair. It is a 100% human hair, not synthetic. You are the first person on this forum to mention that however. I've had my real hair blonde and straight too.
When I said synthetic I meant that it was not your "own" hair so to speak. But yes I understand wearing a weave for "protective" styling. I had naturally assumed that those that were speaking about your hair looking fake, were speaking to you wearing the weave, but then again I may have assumed that because I figured from your pictures that it was a weave and thought others made the same assumption I did. I re-read that woman's post and subsequent posts and I now know what you are talking about. She was saying that you wearing straight hair is akin to her as a white woman wearing an afro- which is an extremely ignorant comment--basically black women who wear straight hair look fake.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:40 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,284,535 times
I saw that, too and I didn't like it.

The person could have said, "Your hair texture and color is wrong for your face"?

Even if it is a weave, so what? How is that "wrong for her race"?

Old 09-05-2012, 12:57 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,916,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I saw that, too and I didn't like it.

The person could have said, "Your hair texture and color is wrong for your face"?

Even if it is a weave, so what? How is that "wrong for her race"?

Could it have been a slip up? the F and R keys are mighty close to each other

Old 09-05-2012, 01:00 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,284,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Could it have been a slip up? the F and R keys are mighty close to each other

I thought that, too. But she attempted to defend her statement, so no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.