Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 06:48 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,916,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
Here's how to fix your problem. Then everything you want shipped to your door.

" Getting your FFL license is easier than you think. In less than a couple of hours of work, four easy steps, and less than $200, you could become a legal weapons dealer or firearm manufacturer in the United States. Getting a Federal Firearms License (FFL) is a good move".
No. One has no idea what you have to deal with when you get that FFL license. I have a class 03 FFL C&R license so I can get C&R weapons shipped to my door. That's nothing, but for that alone I have to keep a bound book recording all my purchases, I have to record all my sales, even if I don't buy or sale I have to keep a bound spiral book, I had to get fingerprinted and inform local PD, I have to allow the feds to inspect my gun collection any damn time they feel like it, I have to inform them of changes of address, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 10:09 AM

806 posts, read 878,438 times
Not quite accurate but I also disagree with getting an 01 FFL .

Old 11-13-2017, 12:16 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,137,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selogic View Post
Not quite accurate but I also disagree with getting an 01 FFL .
Why?
In my case I am and elderly disabled lady and the 01 FFL would allow me to sell some of my guns at gun shows and well as suppliment my SS with transfer fees for other people.

Also where did you get the fingerprint card and what photos do they need front and side shots or what?

Old 11-13-2017, 12:43 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,916,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Why?
In my case I am and elderly disabled lady and the 01 FFL would allow me to sell some of my guns at gun shows and well as suppliment my SS with transfer fees for other people.

Also where did you get the fingerprint card and what photos do they need front and side shots or what?
You can use it for that but almost all sellers at a gun show also have a brick and mortar store. They just pack up selected pieces from inventory and set up a table.
You can sell your guns without the 01, i.e. your collection, you just can't make a business out of it.

If you really want to go through with it plenty of websites will walk you through. The fingerprint card I think the FFL sent to me but you can also pick up the standard card at most police departments, they should have a guy there that does the fingerprints.

Also as a note that the person on the other page that brought up FFL first - it is for business purposes, it's NOT just so Joe Blow can acquire weapons for his own personal collection.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:35 PM

50,391 posts, read 47,131,977 times
I have an FFL 03. They are simply trying to force panic buying before the law is even in effect. I'll be doing my shopping elsewhere if this is their new business model.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:39 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,632,131 times
Cabelas and Bass Pro do have whacky rules. Neither will ship muzzleloaders to Michigan, despite Michigan having no law prohibiting such.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Cabelas and Bass Pro do have whacky rules. Neither will ship muzzleloaders to Michigan, despite Michigan having no law prohibiting such.
It's a big company, too bad they can't hire educated employees running their marketing and legal.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:47 PM

2,071 posts, read 1,678,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I know they got bought out by Bass Pro but their mailer is an outright lie. As of Jan 1st 2018 CA residents can't buy brass and bullets online? Total 100% lie!! Loaded ammo only has to go to an FFL.
Come on, magazines too? I'm inclined to never use them again if deception is their marketing strategy.

Or is their leadership that flaky? That's not a good business plan.

The Penal Code in question is
Quote:

(a) As used in this part, except in subdivision (a) of Section 30305 and in Section 30306, “ammunition” means one or more loaded cartridges consisting of a primed case, propellant, and with one or more projectiles. “Ammunition” does not include blanks.

Did CA add a new tax to ammo or components? I couldn't tell you if they did or didn't but I know I've read about people who want to significantly up the tax on ammo so it becomes even more expensive to shoot.

Another thought is maybe a ban on lead projectiles? Lead has been banned for waterfowl hunting for years and there are lots of people that want lead banned for all hunting.

Just a couple things I could think of on why a company may stop shipments to a particular state even if it supposedly hasn't been directly outlawed.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Did CA add a new tax to ammo or components? I couldn't tell you if they did or didn't but I know I've read about people who want to significantly up the tax on ammo so it becomes even more expensive to shoot.

Another thought is maybe a ban on lead projectiles? Lead has been banned for waterfowl hunting for years and there are lots of people that want lead banned for all hunting.

Just a couple things I could think of on why a company may stop shipments to a particular state even if it supposedly hasn't been directly outlawed.
There are a bunch of new ridiculous laws on the books now. You have to pass yet another back ground check for ammo even if you passed the one buying the firearm.

What Cabelas is jumping on is the scare to get people to buy now. It will magically be fixed come the actual date I'm betting.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:44 AM

4,922 posts, read 2,068,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selogic View Post
Why would a company that makes a profit from selling firearm related products see any benefit in NOT selling those products ? I'm not buying into the conspiracy theory .
I don't think its a "conspiracy theory," but more of a "liability issue." Not knocking Calofornia, but if I was in the firearms business, "I" would do any business with California either... Why take a chance with a beyond liberal State and have the State's Attorney General come after you and your business. That goes for NY, NJ, MA and IL... Why take on that kind of risk?

If you live in California, you basically can except that you live in California or drive to AZ or NV to by reloading supplies... Or you can move to a more gun friendly State. I live in Washington State, which is now basically "North California" and once I finish my last working career and vested into their retirement plan, I'm seriously thinking of moving myself since we'll be facing a gun ban here sometime very soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting