Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 03:34 PM

740 posts, read 1,882,291 times

Advertisements

I went to the new Cabelas store today and couldn't believe the number of people buying guns. Apparently there is a lot of talk about the president elect trying to outlaw guns as much as possible. I guess it is time to rejoin the NRA.
I also noticed a number of new style Maine license plates I have never seen before. One was white with red lettering that looked alot like a Mass plate but I couldn't read it. Another had a moose head on it. That would be my pick if I still lived here. I did find out on the State of Connecticut website that there are actually moose there, which was a surprise for me.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:45 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,425,582 times
Since the election, Mainers don't appear to be buying more firearms, compared to other states.
Besides, it's hunting season!
SunJournal.com - Election hasn't triggered more gun sales locally (http://www.sunjournal.com/story/290847-3/LewistonAuburn/Election_hasnt_triggered_more_gun_sales_locally/ - broken link)

Old 11-16-2008, 04:43 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
When you go through Sam's or any other discount food store you see many more people stocking up on basics. I see people with two carts rounded right up. I have one son in Massachusetts. He tried three supermarkets before he found a parking spot. Same story. People are stocking up. There are ammunition shortages in many calibers and military surplus calibers are hard to get. Prices are rising fast. Prices on popular firearms are rising fast also. Most Mainers have the firearms they need already.

This stocking up on basics is happening for much more significant reasons than Thanksgiving or the coming winter (Which finally starts on Wednesday this week). There is an uneasiness in our country about what we face for the next decade or so. A couple of months ago I started a thread titled "Steady, Mainers". I'll update it from time to time.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:40 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
Since the election, Mainers don't appear to be buying more firearms, compared to other states.
Besides, it's hunting season!
SunJournal.com - Election hasn't triggered more gun sales locally (http://www.sunjournal.com/story/290847-3/LewistonAuburn/Election_hasnt_triggered_more_gun_sales_locally/ - broken link)
My thoughts as well. It's the middle of hunting season here...people buy guns all the time, especially now. Go to Kittery Trading Post some November weekend and just try to find some help on their gun floor...good luck.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
When you go through Sam's or any other discount food store you see many more people stocking up on basics. I see people with two carts rounded right up. I have one son in Massachusetts. He tried three supermarkets before he found a parking spot. Same story. People are stocking up. There are ammunition shortages in many calibers and military surplus calibers are hard to get. Prices are rising fast. Prices on popular firearms are rising fast also. Most Mainers have the firearms they need already.

This stocking up on basics is happening for much more significant reasons than Thanksgiving or the coming winter (Which finally starts on Wednesday this week). There is an uneasiness in our country about what we face for the next decade or so. A couple of months ago I started a thread titled "Steady, Mainers". I'll update it from time to time.
They're stocking up on the .47 cent a pound turkeys and cheap chickens.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:58 PM

Cabela's doesn't really carry the tell-tale weapons one would watch the sales statistics for to judge a surge in personal protection guns. Smaller shops deal more with the AR-15's, 9mm handguns and large magazines people seeking self defense weapons look for. I go to several small gun shops in this area and have not seen an increase in sales. When Clinton was elected there was a very large surge in these types of guns. It may happen, but at this point people are waiting to see what happens....plus they don't have the extra $2,000 to invest in an assault weapon now!

Old 11-16-2008, 08:11 PM

Whoa. You can't buy an assault weapon for $2,000. You would need to have a Class 3 license and pay a $200 registration fee.

You can, however, buy an M-14 semiauto, an AR-15, Ranch Rifle, FLN or any of a large number of military style weapons including AK-47 look-alikes. The SKS was only made in semi-auto and there are a whole lot of those firing away in gravel pits every weekend.

Several years ago there was a law with a misnomer for a name. It was called the Assault Weapons Ban. No assault weapons were banned by that law. What was banned were weapons that LOOKED like assault weapons and magazines that held more than 10 rounds.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:38 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times
Let's keep the discussion centered on Maine issues, please. More general topics need to be taken over to the Politics forum.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:04 PM

474 posts, read 1,417,374 times
Well, here's my two cents worth! Not yet living in Maine and not being completely aware of the gun laws there, I'm not too worried BECAUSE when I do get to Maine I'll bring my guns with me and "hope" they are legal! LOL I do agree with the general populus that more guns are purchased in Maine during hunting season, but there is also a lot of panicing on what might bedone with the new administration! Don't be too fooled by rumors! I think every family in Maine have the guns they won't and be darn if anyone will take them away! I don't think the new administration will attempt to take our guns away - that would be a dumb move! What would the hunters do then! Nay! Just my two cents worth, but don't worry!

Old 11-17-2008, 04:02 AM

ILUVMAINE, Your guns will be legal. We don't compete with Washington on restrictions. We think Washington has more than enough restrictions. This is about moving to Maine and human rights. Our Canadian censor has removed some posts VERY pertinent to Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine