Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 01:31 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
Ah, must've been the famed Glock Revolver, the "Gun that Won the West", legendary for it's use in legendary shootouts, and a real favorite in the "Western Film" genre...

I think there are many in the media who view "a Glock" as a scaled down machine gun/weapon of mass destruction as opposed to all of those other, largely benign, semi-automatic pistols.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 02:09 PM

922 posts, read 1,908,618 times
I understand the OPs point. We need to make sure these uneducated anti-gunners understand that its wrong to use the term "assault weapon" for a semi-auto rifle. The rifles (semi/fullauto) have been around for over 100 years. The ar-15 is just the latest version of a rifle. look at a model T and a corvette. As for it being a "military" weapon, guess what, even a musket was a military weapon.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:13 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Recently, after an incident, I went to the various news groups to see what they had to say:

ABC - Witness reported that the man run by carrying a Machine gun.
Oregon Mall Shooting: Man Kills 2, Self in Rampage - ABC News

USA Today - Reported it was a military style rifle
Oregon mall shooter, victims identified

Reuters - reported it was a semi automatic rifle
Deadly Oregon mall shooting appeared to be lone, random rampage - Yahoo! News

Of course, all of them were looking at the same rifle.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 12-20-2012 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: Removed bad link

Old 12-19-2012, 04:06 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Is this an assault rifle? It was used by millions to kill millions of people in a war.

or is this one that's made by airsoft?
It's common for toys to shaped after what adults use even if the shape is military.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:08 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Recently, after an incident, I went to the various news groups to see what they had to say:

ABC - Witness reported that the man run by carrying a Machine gun.

CNN - Reported it was an Assault Rifle

USA Today - Reported it was a military style rifle
Oregon mall shooter, victims identified

Reuters - reported it was a semi automatic rifle
Deadly Oregon mall shooting appeared to be lone, random rampage - Yahoo! News

Of course, all of them were looking at the same rifle.
Your listing , and the more common comments in the media and online, all single out the military style guns. So far I've read no negative comments on true sportsman style guns that could be considered old school.

While I'm not a gun expert the lack of negative comments would tell me that ,in general, the public has no real problems with sportsmen's guns.

It would seem that there is a hardcore survivalist type, and the mentally ill, that want's the same firepower of the military so that can feed their fantasy of gov't overthrow. Sick bunch they are.........

Last edited by Grandpa Pipes; 12-19-2012 at 04:16 PM..

Old 12-19-2012, 04:25 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Your listing , and the more common comments in the media and online, all single out the military style guns. So far I've read no negative comments on true sportsman style guns that could be considered old school.

While I'm not a gun expert the lack of negative comments would tell me that ,in general, the public has no real problems with sportsmen's guns.

It would seem that there is a hardcore survivalist type, and the mentally ill, that want's the same firepower of the military so that can feed their fantasy of gov't overthrow. Sick bunch they are.........
Well, you see, the problem is the reactionary types that have no clue what an "assault rifle" really is are just looking for an excuse to fuel their own fears by lumping anyone who owns anything more than a single shot weapon as a kook with a gun.
Many hunting specific rifles are more powerful, more dangerous and more lethal than many "assault rifles". Most military rifles, and fine ones they were, were bolt action and the sniper units still use them. A guy with a good bolt gun can match someone with a semi-auto when you have to actually hit something.

I just hope people educate themselves that a military style weapon covers just about every gun hunters use including shotguns and bolt action rifles.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:08 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:

My listing had nothing to do with what people want or what people should have. My listing was to point out just how stupid the uninformed or ignorant people think of guns. Just like the op pointed out, the media looks at all pistols as Glocks and all rifles as either a AR or an AK, regardless of what they are.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:22 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
Quote:

For your information, the Colt AR-15 and other semi-auto rifles, like the Springfield M1-A, which is a semi-auto version of the M14, are used in competitive shooting matches, so they are "sportsmen's guns".

Old 12-19-2012, 05:45 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Does anyone think this 10/22 Ruger is an assault weapon?
Collapsible stock and detachable magazine - it qualifies (for the deranged hoplophobes out there).

I've got a 10/22, but it's bone stock. Bought it some months ago at a grand opening sale that a sporting goods store was having, and haven't even taken it out to the range yet.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:25 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Used to have a tee shirt with that on it. LOL.
You should send it to Joe Biden, the new Anti-Gun Czar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting