Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 07:19 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,108,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenion View Post
Sounds like you really love the war effort . I've heard of most of the guns but not the Johnson. I need to look at gun up; what was it mostly used for? And that's a pretty impressive armament of guns.
That rifle was tested by the military the same time the Garand was tested. A few were purchased by the military and sent to Holland, and a group of Marines on Guadacanal were issued Johnson Automatics. The magazine holds ten rounds and can have more ammo stuffed in it as shots are fired without having to open the bolt. The barrel recoils to operate the action just like the Browning A5 Shotgun, so this didn't work well if a bayonet was used. When I was in high school these things sold with sporter stocks for between $68 and $85, wish I would have bought a boxcar full of them.. The last one I sold at auction went for $2600. Thank you for the remarks about my armament, but you haven't seen anything yet. Trouble is I haven't taken photos of most of the stuff I have. I didn't buy any of these because I like war firearms, I got them just because I like firearms. I forgot to mention the Japanese Arisaki I have, it has been rechambered in 45-70.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 07:26 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,108,737 times
Default Guns and Hunting > WW2 Weapons; What have you shot? Reply to Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
My experience exceeds most as my nephew was stationed at a local training facility in the armory section. Quite often they would bring him truckloads of ammo and was told to unload it. So I'd get a phone, meet him at the gate and we'd go to the range and smoke it up- yer tax dollars at work. The GAU/2 was the most fun along with the 1918 Browning that belonged to a friend. If you ever get to shoot an M14, it will be your most favorite weapon. After having shot all of those the list and more, the M14 is about as good as a battle rifle can get. I guess that's why the military has gone back to it in form.
The Springfield Squard Rifle M1A is the civian version of the M 14, semi auto and no selector switch for full auto. They are fun to shoot and the box magazine sure beats the Garands 8 shot clip... My M1A shown below had a red dot scope on it at the time the photo was taken.
Attached Thumbnails
WW2 Weapons; What have you shot?-sprgfld-squad.jpg  

Old 11-07-2012, 07:17 AM

365 posts, read 490,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
That rifle was tested by the military the same time the Garand was tested. A few were purchased by the military and sent to Holland, and a group of Marines on Guadacanal were issued Johnson Automatics. The magazine holds ten rounds and can have more ammo stuffed in it as shots are fired without having to open the bolt. The barrel recoils to operate the action just like the Browning A5 Shotgun, so this didn't work well if a bayonet was used. When I was in high school these things sold with sporter stocks for between $68 and $85, wish I would have bought a boxcar full of them.. The last one I sold at auction went for $2600. Thank you for the remarks about my armament, but you haven't seen anything yet. Trouble is I haven't taken photos of most of the stuff I have. I didn't buy any of these because I like war firearms, I got them just because I like firearms. I forgot to mention the Japanese Arisaki I have, it has been rechambered in 45-70.
Yeah; i took a WW2 class back in high school a couple years ago; loved it really great teacher that i had for it. [= That gun sounds pretty impressive but close range combat was a pretty common thing, so i guess it wouldn't do cause most engagements were mid-close range. A few of them were long range but not as many as the close range ones [ Pacific; if you've seen that movie it's a real great highlight of the war back then]... obviously it's still a movie but it does cover most of the key topics. But great comment and heh my M2 universal version... that was given to me by my uncle and he said the man get got it from paid 10$ for it. That's a hilarious fact right their. I would take photo's of most of them if i were you then again, sometimes i feel like just melting myself in bed and sleeping for a couple of days like right now. Staying up for a day is never a good idea.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
The Springfield Squard Rifle M1A is the civian version of the M 14, semi auto and no selector switch for full auto. They are fun to shoot and the box magazine sure beats the Garands 8 shot clip... My M1A shown below had a red dot scope on it at the time the photo was taken.
That's a real nice m1; did you spend alot of time on it or not really? anyway the M14's i never shot one but i've heard as decent amount to know that they are no joke.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
My time line was the mid 60's when I was in the Marine Corps and WW2 weapons were still being used mostly for training purposes. Stuff I have fired. M1 Garand, BAR, 30 Cal Browning machine gun.Issued for Infantry training to use up the millions of 30-06 rounds that were still in stock at the time.Other WW2 weaponry. 50 Cal heavy machine gun. 45 Cal pistol.
Well i was born in the 90's so i wish that i could of been there at some point to shoot those weapons lol. or at least the ones that were offered to shoot.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:47 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
Quote:
The Springfield Squard Rifle M1A is the civian version of the M 14, semi auto and no selector switch for full auto.
Considering Elmer Balance is about 20 minutes from my front door and he's built several M1as for me before he got into problems with the Gov't, I fully understand an M1a.....but it's a LONG way from an M14. It's one of those- ya gotta try it to believe it. Hopefully one of these days you get the opportunity to shoot an M14.

[Mod cut]

Last edited by ElkHunter; 11-07-2012 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: Removed orphaned portion

Old 11-07-2012, 03:49 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenion View Post
I've recently shot the BAR , M1 , M1A1 carbine [universal version]
I found that the BAR/M1 Both shoot amazing... On spot hardly any recoil... the guns are so heavy that all the recoil is burst off upon the gun just pushing it back. While shooing one of these, you don't have to worry about the gun shooting up... rather just pushing you back.
Anyone else shoot any of these guns or other WW2 guns?
Browning .50

Browning .30

M1 Garand

M1 Carbine

Thompson Submachine gun

Grease Gun

Mauser K98

Enfied

Colt 1911

I've only actually owned a Garand, Mauser and Enfield though.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:41 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,817,535 times
And a M14 IS NOT A WW2 WEAPON!!!

Old 11-13-2012, 02:11 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,871,660 times
Although they were not manufactured during WWII, I've had a .30 caliber M1 Carbine in the past, I also have a Colt 1911 .45 ACP. I also have a German 98 Mauser that was redone with a new stock, and a stainless steel target barrel in the 22-250 caliber, it's a very accurate rifle.

I've never owned one, but I have fired a friend's M1 Garand 30 06.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:42 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,877 times
K98, several p38s, Walther PPK, Walther PP, Several P08s, Garands, 03A3s,Enfields,Thompson, MP40,Colt 45 and remington rand 45, Vicotry model 38, M1 carbines. Had all the parts minus the receiver for an MG34 and sold them to a guy that had a dummy receiver to display it. I have also shot a sauer 38H, HSC mauser, Polish Radum made under nazi occupation, and I know I have forgotten some others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting