Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 08:04 PM

8,052 posts, read 12,772,027 times

Advertisements

1911's
M1a's
12 gauge shoguns
one .22 bolt gun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 09:15 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,149 times
Personally I would use guns that are chambered in 22 long rifle caliber. The reason being you can transport 22 lr ammo easier than any other ammo. If you are careful you can kill just about anything you shoot with a lowly 22. I have an AR with a 22 lr upper, and it's accuracy leaves a lot to be desired, so it is next to worthless. I have a 1911 with a Kimber 22 lr upper, it's accuracy is good, but I prefer one of my Ruger Mk I or Mk II's. A suppressor for a 22 lr will work on any rifle or handgun you have if the barrel is threaded, so I feel it is best to stick with one caliber, one that doesn't make much noise.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:39 AM

774 posts, read 2,601,698 times
I'm not a rifle guy as I've never put the time into getting good with one so I can't really say. I'd need to do my homework on a rifle which is something I really should do. I do know this. It would need to be effective at a minimum of 1000ft and have some type of optic so I can defend at long distance.

The hand guns is an easy pick. Sig P226 in 9mm. Has never failed in over 6K rounds and is still as tight as it was the day I bought it.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:15 PM

271 posts, read 239,101 times
Glock 19 9mm for my handgun. I already have at least three parts for all of the common breakage parts that need fixed on hand. It's not like they break all the time anyways. AR-15 for the same reason. I can build several more rifles with my spare parts. Sure a trusty Ruger 10/22, MKII or Marlin 70PSS Papoose in .22 LR would come in handy. If it breaks, you are pretty much DONE though.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:40 PM

72 posts, read 77,715 times
carry that belt gun WHERE, while carrying rifle and BOB pack? :-) The only feasible place is a fannypack, worn at the navel. then when you lay aside the pack, your pistol doesn't go with it. Me, I favor the same pocket 9mm (diamondback) along with the M4, and a .22lr conversion unit for the AR.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:46 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticMedia View Post
I often contemplate this topic and figured I would ask other firearm enthusiasts: If you could pick only One Rifle and One pistol....for an "End of Days" Scenario. Which two would you choose?
This question is one of the reasons why I find these dystopian fantasy threads to be so ridiculously funny.

My survival firearm is my brain and my brain tells me that the best firearm in such a hyper-hypothetical scenario is any firearm that I can find that utilizes whatever ammunition that I can find!

Quote:
Pistol: Glock 19 - Why?
-Indestructible
-Super reliable
-Fairly accurate
-high capacity. and 33 round magazine available.
-9x19mm Very abundant ammo and easy to reload.
No weapon is indestructible which means that it can't be "super" reliable. A 33 round magazine if all fine and good if you have enough of the right ammunition which razes the question. Abundance is theoretically all fine and good in a macro sense but but if you are out of it in your little corner of the world and all that you can find is .357 what good is your Glock 19? As for reloading, well its the end of the world, so what makes you think that you will be able to stay in one place with your catche of ammunition and reloading gear. You need food, clothing and a lot of other gear, so unless you are going to humping 100lbs packs I think one needs to think adaptability rather than some dream list of firearms.

By the way... Glock 23 with a 9mm conversion barrel and 9mm mags would double your odds of finding ammo.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:07 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
I posted my Survival gun in the Go To thread.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:12 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,461,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Personally I would use guns that are chambered in 22 long rifle caliber. The reason being you can transport 22 lr ammo easier than any other ammo. If you are careful you can kill just about anything you shoot with a lowly 22. I have an AR with a 22 lr upper, and it's accuracy leaves a lot to be desired, so it is next to worthless. I have a 1911 with a Kimber 22 lr upper, it's accuracy is good, but I prefer one of my Ruger Mk I or Mk II's. A suppressor for a 22 lr will work on any rifle or handgun you have if the barrel is threaded, so I feel it is best to stick with one caliber, one that doesn't make much noise.
a rifle like the Ruger 10/22 with a 50 rd snail drum loaded with .22 Stinger hollow point would probably work well , you could even hunt with it for small game for survival and it would work well against feral / stray dogs you may encounter

[Mod cut - Copyrighted image]

Black Dog Machine 50-Round .22 LR Drum Magazine for AR-15 & Ruger 10/22

Last edited by ElkHunter; 10-12-2012 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: Posting copyrighted material

Old 10-12-2012, 09:12 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
I own both modern 1880 on and also pre 1840...

If i am walking away forever, and can never resupply I am taking my 60 cal Nor'West Gun in flint and if I must take a pistol it will be my Ruger Old Army. I have molds for both, and the Nor' West Gun is a smooth bore, so it can take shot, ball or shot and ball.

If i can resupply I might take a AK, I own 2. Some of you read I owned 3 but recently i sold one.

Hand gun then if I must own it now would be my Rand WW2 vintage .45 govt mod. I will trust my life on it.

If i can have what i want in fantasy world a S&W Model 29 in .44 mag might be nice.
I also own several shots guns in 12 and 16 ga...... The 16's can stay and i am willing to pack any of my 12's but these are all very old guns and are very tight still and well proven.

I have made a bunch of bows from English Long to Native pony bows and i can make arrows all day long. I like the long bows styles best, but dragging them around in my woods is no fun.

More or less north NH, VT and Maine are wicked thickets of rain forest fir, spruce, swamp birch, alder, and assorted other trees that reach out and grab you.

I always get amused by guys in long western fringe at primitive events who are about hog tied when the enter my woods

I see the OP is long gone, he seems to have a hero complex and a short attention span. I fear if his scenario ever becomes real he will be a lost cause in the first 15 minutes.

Of course as per my usual and in no order Silver tips and Happy always make sense.

Happy if you ever trip on 2 affordable Sharps in say .45/70 I want one

Old 10-15-2012, 03:07 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Just out of curiosity, what exactly is your "end of days" scenario?
The Zombie Apocolypse of course!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting