Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2012, 10:15 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,932,455 times

Advertisements

I have two rifles that belong to the sister of one of my longest known friends (I remember playing with him when I was about 7...). This lady's husband died last year and bequeathed these two lovely antiques to the wife's brother. Problem?

The brother lives up in Canada. Oh My God. And, it's not the Canadian side: it's our ever-vigilant Dept. of Homeland Security. (DHS) These rifles have to, apparently, first be shipped to Philadelphia, if I recall the conversation right, where they are inspected so as to confirm they are NOT suitable as assault type weapons of war (These are both old octo-barreled lever actions, one in .22LR, the other in that devastatingly effective military round, the 25-20!).

I also note that Canadians can very easily purchase a Chinese-made AK, or a Chinese-made copy of our M1A (but with all forged parts....), both of which certainly can be qualified as "assault style rifles". Why does our DHS care, if the rifles are heading out of this country, I wonder. Some sort of prior agreement with the RCMP in Canada?

Oh, and the sender must enclose a fee of $450 per gun for this service) [Q: why can't our US Border Patrol guys take a quick look-see, make a couple of notes like: "This is an antique old West style lever gun and presents no threat to anyone!"? Then the Canadian recipient would probably have to pay some sort of port-of-entry doc and duty fee (20% seems to ring in my head) and take these home? Done deal? No way: that'd be too simple.

Nope: after the ATF/FBI/DHS inspection, they then have to be shipped to a properly licensed gun broker in Canada, who will have his own doc and handling fees, but then, it's still not over! The two rifles must then get shipped directly to a a gunshop in my friend's town, who will, naturally, charge their two bits worth. I mean, of course! Everyone's gotz-tah get paid their part here, non?

So finally, his bank account drained and the US Government satiated, he gets to go home and fire this rifle. I'm sure one of our satellites will be suitably positioned over his house up in central B.C. for several weeks!

Amazing, huh? Our intricate government at work!

Last edited by rifleman; 10-08-2012 at 10:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 10:23 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,627,085 times
If these rifles were made before 1899 they are not firearms under federal law and you need go through nothing. Check the BATF website to find out manufacturing dates if they have them or start digging. That doesn't matter to the Canadians, of course, but you can ship them out from here without anyone's permission. Dealers, many without an FFL who just handle antiques, do it all the time.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:16 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,161,817 times
You know, if you have not actually got started shipping these guns to your brother, I would suggest you not bother and just send him the cash to buy similar in Canada. Just sayin'.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:01 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,111,858 times
I am semi retired and by that I mean that I work when I want and travel as I want. But I travel by team and wagon. The last trip we made was from Ranchester Wyoming, to Skagway Alaska. We took guns with us and had very little trouble checking them through customs. At that time I got on the Canadian Consolate website and downloaded the proper paperwork (available on-line) and filled it out for the weapons and ammunition we took. When I was on their website, there was a specific list of firearms that you were allowed to take into Canada. As I read your post, that's what you want to do is transfer them to somebody in Canada? Or am I reading it backwards? hahah Wouldn't be the first time.

Anyhow, as long as your firearm was NOT listed on that list, it was legal to take into Canada. I don't remember the cost, or if there even was one. We had animal health certs to pay for, dog vacinations to prove, firearms, food and supplies, etc... Some of the stuff we paid small fee's of $10-25. to get the proper permit and the funny part of all the permits was the Horses. Everything else, we basically didn't have a time limit constraint, except the horses. You have 30 days to get them back US Soil or the fines and penalties were nasty. hahaha

I suggest you get on the Candian Consolate website and see what they have and what they list. I'm sorry I didn't have the links for you, but it's been over 2 years ago that that trip was made. We're planning our next trip now for next summer. You don't need shots to get into South Dakota do you?

Old 10-10-2012, 04:16 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,130,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
I have two rifles that belong to the sister of one of my longest known friends (I remember playing with him when I was about 7...). This lady's husband died last year and bequeathed these two lovely antiques to the wife's brother. Problem?

The brother lives up in Canada. Oh My God. And, it's not the Canadian side: it's our ever-vigilant Dept. of Homeland Security. (DHS) These rifles have to, apparently, first be shipped to Philadelphia, if I recall the conversation right, where they are inspected so as to confirm they are NOT suitable as assault type weapons of war (These are both old octo-barreled lever actions, one in .22LR, the other in that devastatingly effective military round, the 25-20!).

I also note that Canadians can very easily purchase a Chinese-made AK, or a Chinese-made copy of our M1A (but with all forged parts....), both of which certainly can be qualified as "assault style rifles". Why does our DHS care, if the rifles are heading out of this country, I wonder. Some sort of prior agreement with the RCMP in Canada?

Oh, and the sender must enclose a fee of $450 per gun for this service) [Q: why can't our US Border Patrol guys take a quick look-see, make a couple of notes like: "This is an antique old West style lever gun and presents no threat to anyone!"? Then the Canadian recipient would probably have to pay some sort of port-of-entry doc and duty fee (20% seems to ring in my head) and take these home? Done deal? No way: that'd be too simple.

Nope: after the ATF/FBI/DHS inspection, they then have to be shipped to a properly licensed gun broker in Canada, who will have his own doc and handling fees, but then, it's still not over! The two rifles must then get shipped directly to a a gunshop in my friend's town, who will, naturally, charge their two bits worth. I mean, of course! Everyone's gotz-tah get paid their part here, non?

So finally, his bank account drained and the US Government satiated, he gets to go home and fire this rifle. I'm sure one of our satellites will be suitably positioned over his house up in central B.C. for several weeks!

Amazing, huh? Our intricate government at work!
.................You may find the following info helpful.....................................

A few years ago, I purchased a particular O&U Italian manufactured Shotgun that was listed for sale by a certain (legal) Gun Shop located in London, England.
I was informed by the Gun Shop that I had to "work-through" a Montana Licensed "Import/Export" gun dealer in the state of Montana.

I found one in Glascow, MT., who handled the transaction and several weeks later I had my shotgun in my hands.

Leroy's Big Valley Gun Works
527 2nd Ave N
Glascow, Montana 59230

Phone:406-228-4867

Friendly, helpful folks. (Leroy and wife Denise)

I think the "Import/Export" portion of Leroy's business is now handled under the name of;

...................Denise's Export Services....... sama address and phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting