Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 06:40 PM

419 posts, read 1,921,511 times

Advertisements

I myself buy in bulk online from a reputable company. I find purchases this way is a bit cheaper than my local gun shop or discount store (even with the delivery cost). And to this day have had no problems with any of the ammo purchased online. I also use reloads on some of the older firearms but not on newly purchased weapons. I do on occasion buy locally.

Does anyone think buying online throws a red flag to the feds..? I personally don't think it does .. but buying in massive bulk may. Buying a few 500 to 1000 rounds here and there and from different suppliers maybe ok. But say buying 10000 rounds a month from the same supplier...hmmmm.

My ammo is only used mostly for target shooting, as I do not hunt any longer (other than knocking off a few varmints that may stray into my yard .. ie armadillos). Not to say that I do have several pistol rounds and shotgun shells for self defense. I also tend to visit my local shooting range 2 to 3 times a month.

Your thoughts and experiences for online purchases...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 08:02 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
I live in a small county with gun shops that over charge for ammo.
I buy quite a bit online, I found the shipping charge was usually a flat rate and if I buy enough it is well worth it.
Current laws do not include the federals watching ammo purchases. Many online sellers offer ammo in 1000 and 10,000 batches.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:44 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,196,333 times
I ordered ammo online the other day for the first time- a half case of ammo for ~130 or so. It does leave a paper trail, but when all the good ammunition around here is gone it gets kind of annoying.

That said, I don't think that the federal government really pays much attention to ammunition sales compared to the attention (or lack thereof in recent months ) to the sales of actual firearms. I *DID* buy a firearm off the internet and I'm sure that probably raised a red flag, but so far, no black helicopters have landed in my front yard.

Usually I just wait for the local Walmart to get a few boxes of American Eagle .223 ammo in, those are $5.97/box of 20, so it isn't too bad (and I'm going to start keeping the brass for when I have the time and money to purchase and learn how to reload.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:24 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
I usually get my ammo at gun shows. Good deals can be found if you walk around a lot and compare. Besides, it's more fun that way, since you get to see all the firearms.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:12 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Wallmart is pretty darn cheap if you can get over the pain of getting them to man the counter and then finding the kid with the ammo case key. WWB's in 100 round boxes.
I have bought ammo online in bulk sales, 1,000 rounds of 9mm - $180. Couldn't pass that up.

Gun show ammo - be vary wary of reloads. You just don't know what you are getting.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:54 AM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
I mail order 99% of my shells from either Mack's Prairie Wings, Bass ProShops or Cabela's.

Since I am mostly a waterfowl hunter I have to use steel or other non-toxic. Here, where it's arguably waterfowl central on the East Coast, I have yet to find a vendor that carries what I use on a consistent basis at a reasonable price. I also have a couple oddball needs, 16 ga. steel and 16 ga. Classic Doubles, that are hard to find although I gun mostly 12 ga..

The local shops are way over-priced and Wal-Mart carries very little in the way of waterfowl loads. They do have cases of rifle ammunition, which can't be used in most of MD for deer.

I bought a case of Heavy Metal in BB this past summer. Trying to give my trade to a local guy, I asked what he could get it for me at. His price was a bit over twice what I paid Mack's including shipping. This was after I had to convince him there was such a shotshell.

Strangely enough there's a shop in Western PA near where I grew up that carries the stuff I use, and it's not even really near much in the way of waterfowl hunting. I just don't get up there often enough anymore to pick things up.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:25 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
I reload, so it doesn't impact me much. Take a Dillon 650XL, gimme an hour - and I'll set 600 rounds of pistol ammo in your lap!

Old 11-01-2011, 05:01 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
For me it depends. There is a little old local man that makes up my 6.5x54 MS rounds for cheap, and these are very hard to come by otherwise.

If I have a few spare do llars in wally world I might brag a brick of .22's or a box of 12 ga bird shot on sale. I load for 12 ga, and get deals on primers, wads and shot at sales in any local gun stores.

Any hunting rnds I try to buy for a little more from the smaller gun stores since that is their bread and butter. The best way to reduce that type of store is buy on line IMO.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:19 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Wallmart is pretty darn cheap if you can get over the pain of getting them to man the counter and then finding the kid with the ammo case key. WWB's in 100 round boxes.
Yup I get my defensive ammo online but for plinking at the range WWB at wally world.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:59 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoydS View Post
..Your thoughts and experiences for online purchases...
Good experiences. I've been able to find good prices from those who do not charge additional for shipping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting