Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 09:18 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,204,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Old traditions flex and change, but I see nothing wrong with wrapping yourself in black as a sort of symbolic shield against the outside world. I think more people should do it, instead of having to pick yourself up, brush yourself off and get back to a regular routine.
I bet many widows would be grateful for the luxury of a year of formal, structured mourning, in which they were given the time and space to fully grieve.
I took 4 days off of work when my husband died. I worked at MickeyD's and lasted only 2 days after going back. I needed time to grieve. I've never gone back to work. 2 years and I'm just now starting to get a grip back on my life. I've never worn the widows weeds but I sure needed the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 03:01 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,318,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I took 4 days off of work when my husband died. I worked at MickeyD's and lasted only 2 days after going back. I needed time to grieve. I've never gone back to work. 2 years and I'm just now starting to get a grip back on my life. I've never worn the widows weeds but I sure needed the time.
Tami..I can totally relate. I've needed time too...I haven't bought any new clothes for myself since my family members died.. Didn't go out enough to need new clothes...Smilin came back up to my area (again) last week and we had fun together. But I had trouble figuring out what to wear each day when we went out...Everything felt drab or boring or "outdated." YUK!..So I'm going to buy myself a few new things soon. Know it will perk me up. How about you?.. Have you treated yourself to new clothes (or accessories) since Earl died?

Old 02-22-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Tami..I can totally relate. I've needed time too...I haven't bought any new clothes for myself since my family members died.. Didn't go out enough to need new clothes...Smilin came back up to my area (again) last week and we had fun together. But I had trouble figuring out what to wear each day when we went out...Everything felt drab or boring or "outdated." YUK!..So I'm going to buy myself a few new things soon. Know it will perk me up. How about you?.. Have you treated yourself to new clothes (or accessories) since Earl died?
I've been good to myself in buying stuff. Buying made me happy but most of the stuff still sits in their boxes. Spending the money was what made me feel better. Nothing but some jeans and a couple of teeshirts for clothes. Have nowhere to wear anything else.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:27 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
I wonder if it would make it easier to grieve in our own time and alert the outside world to give us some space if we DID have a more visible way of "showing" that we are in mourning.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I wonder if it would make it easier to grieve in our own time and alert the outside world to give us some space if we DID have a more visible way of "showing" that we are in mourning.
I think that might help but it definitely would have to be up to an individual. I think the arm band would be a good idea since a lot of people like to dress in black.

My friend bought me a necklace for Earl's ashes but I don't wear it. It's too heavy and I prefer it hanging on my wall. The only thing I consistently wear are my wedding rings and of course that sends out the opposite message.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:00 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,052,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
of course we do.... all I was saying is that its good that women dont wear heavy veils now or black for years..grief means adapting and adjusting and moving on, not being stuck in a costume to let the world know your circumstances.

You have NO RIGHT to define what grief means to anyone but yourself.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:58 PM

I know some people wonder why I haven't "moved-on" faster...This seems to be what's expected today. (Versus the past when society expected widows to stay in mourning for a long period of time.)...i have a male friend who keeps pointing out how other widows in our area have been dating for quite awhile now. (As if I'm a freak or weirdo because I don't want to date yet.)...I know he has "ulterior motives!" So I don't let what he says bother me...I'm not ready to "divorce" my husband and cast him aside right now. And I don't want a replacement...I still have grief to work through even though I don't walk around in black clothes with a veil over my face...Looks can be deceiving I guess. Maybe I should paint "widow in grief" across my forehead. And: "Leave me alone!"

Old 02-22-2014, 05:02 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,052,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I know some people wonder why I haven't "moved-on" faster...This seems to be what's expected today. (Versus the past when society expected widows to stay in mourning for a long period of time.)...i have a male friend who keeps pointing out how other widows in our area have been dating for quite awhile now. (As if I'm a freak or weirdo because I don't want to date yet.)...I know he has "ulterior motives!" So I don't let what he says bother me...I'm not ready to "divorce" my husband and cast him aside right now. And I don't want a replacement...I still have grief to work through even though I don't walk around in black clothes with a veil over my face...Looks can be deceiving I guess. Maybe I should paint "widow in grief" across my forehead. And: "Leave me alone!"
Take however much time you want. Its been just a little over a year for me. I have been on one date and it was an absolute disaster for me. I have no interest right now in allowing any sort of emotional or physical attachment with another man. Not sure when or if I will ever want another man in my life.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I've been good to myself in buying stuff. Buying made me happy but most of the stuff still sits in their boxes. Spending the money was what made me feel better. Nothing but some jeans and a couple of teeshirts for clothes. Have nowhere to wear anything else.
Good for you for spoiling yourself! I'm not ready to become a "social butterfly" right now either so I don't need tons of clothes.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think it would help...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning