Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 07:33 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times

Advertisements

OH Marcy, that was lovely...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 05:06 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,312,593 times
I'd been making and selling florals for a couple of years when my Dad died in 1999...A few weeks after Dad died, I received a call from a store owner in Oregon. I had just shipped a box of wreaths and swags and other floral items to her store.. She was worried about me because everything I sent her seemed so dark. (Normally, I used bright colors.)..I hadn't been paying attention because I was still in shock over losing my Dad. Guess I was a "zombie" right after he died. And my florals reflected my grief and huge loss.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:57 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
CA, so much sadness in your life. My heart just hurts when I hear of your losses. That's why I'm so glad you are able to get away with your friends and have some joy and happiness in your life. I'll bet your florals were gorgeous!!

One of these days I will get up to see you and Smilin! According to my Garmin, it's a 7 hour drive, and I haven't driven that long in decades! I would love to meet in Prescott as it's cooler, and come summer, I will be craving cooler when the thermometer reads 110*!

Old 02-21-2014, 05:12 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,312,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
CA, so much sadness in your life. My heart just hurts when I hear of your losses. That's why I'm so glad you are able to get away with your friends and have some joy and happiness in your life. I'll bet your florals were gorgeous!!

One of these days I will get up to see you and Smilin! According to my Garmin, it's a 7 hour drive, and I haven't driven that long in decades! I would love to meet in Prescott as it's cooler, and come summer, I will be craving cooler when the thermometer reads 110*!
Thanks Marcy...I hope we can meet and have fun together one day soon!

Old 02-21-2014, 05:48 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I'm done debating on this subject, but I do object to reading in this forum the OP's ridicule of others' preferences when it comes to grief and mourning.

My only point is that how people grieve is their own business, and they do not deserve to be ridiculed for however they choose to do it.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:23 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
When I grieve I go silent and don't talk about it.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm done debating on this subject, but I do object to reading in this forum the OP's ridicule of others' preferences when it comes to grief and mourning.

My only point is that how people grieve is their own business, and they do not deserve to be ridiculed for however they choose to do it.
I think maybe your missing my point , I wasnt talking about sadness or coping with loss.. I was talking about the old ways of dressing to supposedly mourn , it was more a fashion statement for the well off with black borders on notepaper.. lockets with dead peoples hair, brooches, rings. all over the top back then.. I apologise if my wording of the first post annoyed you so much... as it wasnt my intent.. I thought we would talk about all the different things they did over a hundred years ago like in the film the Others with photographs of the deceased and how to me they prolonged the sadness and surely must have made the person who thought they had to wear them quite depressed as well as others... http://www.tchevalier.com/fallingang...grnd/mourning/

Old 02-22-2014, 05:33 AM

50,336 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Old traditions flex and change, but I see nothing wrong with wrapping yourself in black as a sort of symbolic shield against the outside world. I think more people should do it, instead of having to pick yourself up, brush yourself off and get back to a regular routine.
I bet many widows would be grateful for the luxury of a year of formal, structured mourning, in which they were given the time and space to fully grieve.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:41 AM

A luxury for the rich in the past...Id think.. but each to their own..http://www.morbidoutlook.com/fashion...rianmourn.html

Old 02-22-2014, 08:05 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
A luxury for the rich in the past...Id think.. but each to their own..Morbid Outlook - Victorian Mourning Garb
When I was growing up in the 1950's in a small American town that had many descendants of Sicilian immigrants, the women wore black morning upon the death of a family member. And, as I recall, the older ones would wear it for a year (widows for life), and the younger relatives for a month. These people were all working class folks, and their mourning clothes were very plain and could be worn to work or anywhere.

Where I live in Portugal there is a community of settled gypsies, and they follow a very complicated dress code of mourning, depending upon one's relationship with the deceased, I understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning