Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2017, 09:44 AM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
I think many forget but there are LOTS of upscale homes/subdivisions in the Parkins Mill/East Parkins Mill areas with no Starbucks anywhere - my wife and oldest daughter are ecstatic about this location - it will do fantastic business - there is SIGNIFICANT business opportunity on Laurens Road - developers are just focused on DT, Haywood, Woodruff Road.
Significant opportunity in south Greenville as well.. I maintain the opinion that the area from around Augusta and 85 down to White Horse Rd is an area is significant NEED of redevelopment. The specific areas i'd mention are the old Holiday Inn site and that entire area at I-85 and the area right before White Horse where you have the two shopping centers that are basically condemned.

There's the Starbucks up on E North Street, which also has another coffee shop NEXT DOOR to it. I would think that somewhere down towards Verdae would probably have been a better location, but.. Meh.. Opinions can be silly things to argue about. Of course, the part that I hadn't considered that lends credence to your argument.. People never seem to NOT go to that Hooters because it's difficult to get in.

Saw something on WYFF's site about Taco John's opening several stores in the area.. http://www.wyff4.com/article/new-tac...-says/14458669

The story is.. Not clear on one part. It reads like perhaps they may be looking at opening a few other chains around.. Dog Haus, Church's, Captain D's and Checkers

I'd like to see Checkers return to the area.. I enjoyed them from time to time. Captain D's is superior to LJS.. Church's I don't really care for and don't know anything about Dog Haus.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:49 AM

825 posts, read 1,124,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

Saw something on WYFF's site about Taco John's opening several stores in the area.. http://www.wyff4.com/article/new-tac...-says/14458669

The story is.. Not clear on one part. It reads like perhaps they may be looking at opening a few other chains around.. Dog Haus, Church's, Captain D's and Checkers

I'd like to see Checkers return to the area.. I enjoyed them from time to time. Captain D's is superior to LJS.. Church's I don't really care for and don't know anything about Dog Haus.
The way I read it, is that American Development Partners, currently operates franchises of those other restaurants somewhere else, not that they necessarily plan opening any of those in the Upstate. I'm guessing their agreement with Taco Johns gives them some sort of exclusivity to the markets listed in the article.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:54 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Significant opportunity in south Greenville as well.. I maintain the opinion that the area from around Augusta and 85 down to White Horse Rd is an area is significant NEED of redevelopment. The specific areas i'd mention are the old Holiday Inn site and that entire area at I-85 and the area right before White Horse where you have the two shopping centers that are basically condemned.
I would like to see infilling along Augusta Road from Interstate 85 to White Horse Road. The trade area of Augusta Road and White Horse Road is a grocery desert and a pharmacy desert.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:17 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I would like to see infilling along Augusta Road from Interstate 85 to White Horse Road. The trade area of Augusta Road and White Horse Road is a grocery desert and a pharmacy desert.
An Ingles/Publix/Whatever at the old Community Cash(?) site would do very well, most likely. Though.. Well, I forgot about the DG that opened there, but.. I still think a grocery store would do quite well in that area.

I thought about asking you about that one time in the past.. No time like the present, I suppose. Anything you can tell us about that old center there? My best recollection, there was a Community Cash way back in the day.. Early 90's would be about when it closed I would think.. There was a diner of some sort down at the end, the "Southern Diner" whose sign was still up at the road for YEARS after it closed.. Google Street View shows it last there in May of 2016. I recall driving by it and there being a video store in one of the stores in the mid 90's.

The "Lucky Shot" place that took over the Community Cash location.. I've heard rumors about that.. No idea if they're true. I had heard that place never actually opened and that owners or the money behind it was all drug money or something and they all got arrested before the place ever opened.

The last mention of the Community Cash I can find in newspapers is 1993, and that is actually from a Subway advertisement.. There at one (or more) times, was a Subway in that little 2 store building where Old Augusta forks off right below that shopping center and their ads say they're "Across from Community Cash"

In fact, that little 2 store building.. I've seen so many things in there.. Subway.. There have been thousands of tax places, it seems.. There was actually a Chicken shop in there at one time that was pretty dang tasty.

But, the Community Cash center.. I can't imagine that place isn't condemned?

Old 12-19-2017, 12:46 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Default Lucky Shot, International Plaza, 6000 Augusta Road, Greenville, South Carolina 29605-3652

Lucky Shot was originally a supermarket.

The first supermarket was A&P. A&P replaced its store with the Sav-A-Center at 1315 South Pleasantburg Drive, Greenville, South Carolina 29605-1330. That has been BI-LO #5563 since April 1988.

(BI-LO #5563 was originally BI-LO #223, became BI-LO #563 after Ahold's acquisition of Bruno's and its integration into BI-LO, then became BI-LO #5563 after the acquisition and integration of Winn-Dixie.)

Spartanburg-based Community Cash was the second supermarket. I think it closed in the late 1990's or around 2000.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:34 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
Encore which is a late night dessert bar from the owners of On the Roxx for former American Grocery space.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:17 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,095,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
I think many forget but there are LOTS of upscale homes/subdivisions in the Parkins Mill/East Parkins Mill areas with no Starbucks anywhere - my wife and oldest daughter are ecstatic about this location - it will do fantastic business - there is SIGNIFICANT business opportunity on Laurens Road - developers are just focused on DT, Haywood, Woodruff Road.
Verdae owns pretty much everything on Laurens now that used to be the old big boxes, i.e. Sams and Walmart and they're building a new road with shops, condos, restaurants all across from Motor Mile. it's going to be a complete upscale transformation and Starbucks just got in early.

Old 12-19-2017, 04:35 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
Quote:
First.. I tend to agree with the 'too many Starbucks' folks..

But, here's my question on it.. How do these places stay in business? I mean, it seems like they'd just be stealing business from each other at this point. It's like the Subway franchises.. Subway only gives them like a mile exclusion.. You wind up seeing a Subway on every corner and.. Usually sooner or later, one of them closes.

That particular location for the Starbucks.. I don't think is a great one. Misery to get into if you're going towards Mauldin. The good news is, it shouldn't be too bad to get out of if you're using that little access road behind it. However, the drive-thru is probably going to poop you right out onto Laurens Rd and good luck making a left there.
Will try to explain this from my ex having been a store mgr for them for many years, though he's been gone for 5 1/2 year, from me and SBUX.

First, the Starbucks in stores, like Ingles, Target, hotels, airports, etc. are not owned by Starbucks, these are licensed stores and are not true SBUX stores.

Ex was working at a SBUX store when they decided to build a store less than 2 miles up the same exact road from his store at the time. It had no impact from the sales from his store.

SBUX plans on opening another 12K stores by 2021 - there are SBUX everywhere and sometimes one across the street from another. Sorta reminds me of Walgreens and CVS where they are just as close to each other as SBUX are sometimes.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:06 PM

503 posts, read 692,469 times
Not sure if it was mentioned or not but Poke Bros is replacing the old Hungry Howies in Simpsonville. Drove by there today and they were gutting all the Hungry Howies stuff. Personally Im a little sad that that location closed because they did a better job making pizzas than the other two Ive been too.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:57 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
Saskatoon Lodge is now open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area