Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2016, 05:32 PM

453 posts, read 646,574 times

Advertisements

The Chicken Chopper in Simpsonville (at Fairview and Main, where JB's was) is open now. I wish they had a menu online that I could check out, but I'm sure I'll swing by there before too much longer anyway.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:21 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,096,922 times
New Cuban restaurant going into the old bakery next to Pho 99 on Wade Hampton; Habana Nights, or something like that.

Old 10-13-2016, 04:42 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,809,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
The Chicken Chopper in Simpsonville (at Fairview and Main, where JB's was) is open now. I wish they had a menu online that I could check out, but I'm sure I'll swing by there before too much longer anyway.
It's almost a given now that businesses need a web presence of some sort. Starting a one page website is so easy now a-days and relatively inexpensive. The Chicken Chopper could easily list it's menu on one page I'm sure. At the very least, they could start a Facebook or Yelp page.

Old 10-13-2016, 05:28 AM

292 posts, read 344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackofdawn View Post
I went for lunch last week, $15.99 for lunch during the week. You can order anything on the menu and as much of anything you want at the same time. As long as you finish your food there is no upcharge. If multiple people are sitting at the table they will just kind of bring everything out on big plates so there's no way for them to know/care whether it's you or your husband finishing the food. I went with a coworker and ended up eating probably 25% of her food, we left a bit of edamame on the table and weren't upcharged.

The food quality was actually quite good and since the place was new and the servers didn't seem to really have quite a grasp on the menu yet I imagine it will only get better. I had Spicy Tuna Rolls, Eel Rolls, Shrimp Tempura, Edamame, a Spring Roll, one dumpling, and dynamite rolls (these were really good).
I tried it last night. The food was very good! I did the all-you-can-order option. The only downside is the time it takes to prepare the food. You do not want to order too much because you are not sure how large the portions are and you do not want to have food left on your plate to avoid paying the 15% surcharge. So you have to order a little bit at a time and it takes them a while to prepare your food in between servings. I guess that's the price you pay for getting it freshly prepared.

Overall I enjoyed the experience and will go back now that I have a better idea how large the servings are. Spoiler: The portions are not large.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:48 AM

506 posts, read 1,222,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In SC View Post
I tried it last night. The food was very good! I did the all-you-can-order option. The only downside is the time it takes to prepare the food. You do not want to order too much because you are not sure how large the portions are and you do not want to have food left on your plate to avoid paying the 15% surcharge. So you have to order a little bit at a time and it takes them a while to prepare your food in between servings. I guess that's the price you pay for getting it freshly prepared.

Overall I enjoyed the experience and will go back now that I have a better idea how large the servings are. Spoiler: The portions are not large.
I didn't worry about that, the person I was there with and I just ordered everything we wanted all at once. Then again, I have no problems eating everything in front of me even if I overorder (even though I'm only 5'10 162 lbs)

Old 10-13-2016, 07:57 AM

690 posts, read 1,146,207 times
Looks like a new Afghani restaurant (Aryana Afghan Restaurant) is going in on the former Ellada Kouzina space off Coffee Street downtown. They have a FB page but no details

Last edited by Valien; 10-13-2016 at 08:17 AM..

Old 10-13-2016, 09:04 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,179,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valien View Post
Looks like a new Afghani restaurant (Aryana Afghan Restaurant) is going in on the former Ellada Kouzina space off Coffee Street downtown. They have a FB page but no details

Now THAT sounds like it could be interesting. What was the Ellada Kouzina? Never heard of it.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:49 AM

690 posts, read 1,146,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Now THAT sounds like it could be interesting. What was the Ellada Kouzina? Never heard of it.
My bad, it used to be Never on Sunday Greek Restaurant. They got rid of the location and rebranded as Ellada Kouzina the food truck.

Old 10-13-2016, 04:44 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,873,497 times
Franks House of Pizza opened a couple of weeks ago in the old Sams restaurant building on Fountain Inn.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:38 PM

17,573 posts, read 15,237,377 times
I finally went in and checked out the new Dollar General in Gray Court.. Or.. DG Market or whatever the technical name of it is..

To me, the only difference is they have meat, they have some fresh fruits, though not much. Apples and Bananas mostly. The cantaloupes they had I wasn't going to touch.. The meat.. There was ground beef, that's it for beef.. Some prepack chicken (Tyson I think) and a good amount of pork. I think they were just sold out of all other cuts of beef when I went in.

Outside of that.. It's basically a normal Dollar General store with a better, but still not good, checkout lane setup and it's nowhere near as crowded so far as shelf space as a normal DG.

I'm having difficulty because I keep wanting to compare it to the Walmart Neighborhood Market that was there.. Which packed a TON more food choices into that space. But.. I have to keep stopping myself and realizing, this is an expanded Dollar General, not a real replacement for the Walmart.

Overall.. Not impressed. I was turned off immediately when walking in the door and there was a huge cooler that at Walmart or Bi-Lo or similar would be a meat/dairy/fruit style cooler that is just packed full of soda. And then another one the same towards the back of the store.

Maybe I need to whack it through my head that "Hey, this is DG, what did you expect?".. You went into Walmart, yeah.. They had the junk food, but, you go through, you could be a healthy eater and shop there and be mostly satisfied. Yeah, you won't find the selection you would at a full Walmart, but.. You could find a healthy meal to put together.

DG.. no. Lowest common denominator. Sodas, snack foods, just all the things a growing boy doesn't need. It's better than nothing, but that's the highest praise I'm willing to give it. I'd say "At least it's clean", but dammit, it's 5 days old.. It had better be clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area