Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2008, 05:46 PM

11 posts, read 36,524 times

Advertisements

All -

I am trying to move out of Iowa in summer '09, and really need some good advice. If you guys have some time, could you give me some?

I've been researching different places all over the United States ... and I keep coming back to Greenville. I've never been there (haven't been to very many places) but everything I've read on here in the past year and doing other research, it sounds like an overall great place. I know it probably has its problems, so does Iowa.

Here's my situation: I am trying to move out of the cold climate. The past week we have had nothing but 20 below zero and I can't deal with it. I'm looking for some place warm most of the year. A short winter would be fine, but hopefully not too cold.

So basically I've gathered a lot of information from reading threads on this forum, but I can't really get my specific questions answered.

1) I am really big into watersports... boating/jetskiing... so I want to be near a big nice lake or two (at least 20 min. or half hour).

2) I really want a place that is just overall nice. Nice people, nice buildings, roads, etc.

3) I need to find an IT job. Would Greenville be good for that?

And that's about it. If anyone could give me some friendly advice I sure would appreciate it. I do plan on going to Greenville this spring to check it out, but in the mean time I want to get a lot of good info.

Thanks!

Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 01:50 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,585,270 times
As for lakes- you'll have to see them to believe them. They're some beauties within a short drive of Greenville.

Lake Hartwell is probably the biggest, and most developed. Unfortunately, the current drought has taken it to severely low levels. Old bridges, as well as entire trees are above water now (when they used to be low enough below water to not be a hazard). Some good rain will restore this lake's level though. Nonetheless it's a beautiful and happening body of water, with Clemson University gracing its shores!

Lake Keowee is just up the same strand of water, if you will. It's more mountainous and somewhat developed (less than Hartwell I'd say).

Lake Jocassee is by far my favorite. Its attached (by a damn and power production facility) to Lake Keowee. Its shores are formed by the slopes of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The water is extremely deep as a result of its mountainous setting. The best part is that VERY limited development has been allowed on the body of water. It's the ideal setting to spend any afternoon.

Google some images of these lakes, especially Jocassee. You'll immediately fall in love!

Actually, here's one image of Jocassee, courtesy of Jocasseecharters.com

Old 12-24-2008, 03:40 PM

511 posts, read 1,525,999 times
Default lakes

I agree with the water level on Hartwell. I don't know if we will get enough rain to fill it for any kind of watersports. Lake Keowee is about a 35-45 minute drive to Greenville. I can't help you with the job (sorry). You may want to look at some other websites for that. Our winters are generally mild, rarely any snow but a little ice storm every few years. Our unemployment office should be able to be found with a little searching--it is called One Stop or something to that affect.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:18 PM

511 posts, read 1,525,999 times
Default previous posst

I forgot to mention that you may want to look in the town of Liberty. It is small but a little closer to Lake Keowee than Greenville. Small shops and restaurants.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:39 PM

11 posts, read 36,524 times
thanks a lot for the replies guys, they will definitely help me out.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:05 PM

5 posts, read 10,771 times
Get an offer of employment before you move. Talk is cheap here. People promise what they don't deliver. Pictures for homes and apartments are not often what they seem. Look before you leap.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:04 AM

915 posts, read 2,430,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentonj Paul View Post
Get an offer of employment before you move. Talk is cheap here. People promise what they don't deliver. Pictures for homes and apartments are not often what they seem. Look before you leap.
I'm not going to pay too much attention to you, since your opinions are one-sided enough to suggest a troll.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:26 AM

462 posts, read 970,018 times
Lake Greenwood is another great lake.

I have lived here all my life & I wouldnt want to be anywhere else. We have the perfect weather - other than lack of rain when needed!

There is a lot to do in Greenville as well as surrounding towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area