Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2011, 10:40 AM

4 posts, read 6,226 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am considering a move to Greenville , SC. Perhaps someone can give me a few pointers. I live in Kansas City , Missouri , and was born and raised here. I’m 50 years old and single and have been a self employed painter for 25 years now. The last 2 winters here have been brutal. I’m an outdoors person , hiking , camping , biking etc. I’ve researched many , many cities but Greenville seems to stand at the top for many reason. Most everything I’ve read about Greenville sounds like it’s the place that best suits me. I am a self employed painter so as far at that is concerned I would be starting all over again as far as business contacts and customers. Please give me your thoughts. But most important to me the quality of life is much more important. Even though I’m 50 I feel I’ve got a lot of great years ahead of me and would like to take full advantage of them. I would like to add one more thing. I love to play softball and would like to know are there any softball leagues in Greenville ? Many thanks to everyone who can shed light on my questions , or can offer me any other advice. Have a great day.
Have a great day

Last edited by KJNeath; 04-08-2011 at 11:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 02:54 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,556,115 times
Welcome! I don't know personally about local softball leagues, but this time of year, most public parks are ablaze with games going on most evenings.

Again, I have no personal information regarding prospects for a self-employed painter, but I do know a self-employed woodworker (decks, fences, pergolas, etc) who is backed up with orders!

Otherwise, it sounds like Greenville very well could be the place for you! If you have more specific questions, fire away. There are many folks here who are knowledgeable in most areas important to newcomers. Good luck!

Old 04-08-2011, 05:28 PM

Thank you UpstateBoster. Your help is very much appreciated. Greenville seems to be a great place to enjoy the outdoors and it looks to be a very clean well kept city with great people , all of which are just a few of the things that really have my interest. But the mention of your woodworker acquaintance is a positive sign for me as well.
I just became aware of this forum today so please bear with me as I will have more questions as I think of them. I’d love to know as much about Greenville as anyone is willing to take the time to share. The positive and the negative , thought I don't think there is much negative. Again many thanks to anyone who can help.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:08 AM

83 posts, read 155,159 times
If you are looking for outdoor activities, your options are nearly endless.
We are very close to the North Carolina border, where you can visit the Pisgah National Forest.

The city itself has a pretty extensive parks system, and there has been talk lately about acquiring more land along the Reedy River to further expand our parks. The Swamp Rabbit trail is Greenville's newest "poster child" for outdoor activity; it is a walking/running/biking trail that is currently 13.5 miles long (from Traveler's Rest to Greenville). The trail is a work in progress, and gets longer every year.

We are also close to several major lakes, if you are interested in lakefront activities.
Let us know if you have any other specific questions. Obviously we are biased, but, in my opinion, Greenville has an extremely high quality of life.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:52 AM

145 posts, read 356,889 times
I just moved here from Kansas City also and found this forum invaluable. The search feature will most likely be your best friend.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:03 AM

Thank you to everyone for the latest information. The walking/running/biking trail is of majot interest to me as well as the nearby forest. If I am correct the Smoky mountians aren't too far away as well. I can see myself also spending plenty of time at Falls Park. Sound lke I wouldn't be the onl person there from KC. I will use the search feature also as you recommended There's a lot of planning involved but I would like to settle in Greeville by the end of June if things go as planned.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:38 AM

Hi everyone. Thank you for your help. After some lengthy discussions with my 3 daughters over the past few days , I have settled on Fort Collins , Colorado. My oldest daughter lives in Denver , and my other 2 daughters are still here in Kansas City. Fort Collins , fits the lifestyle I’m looking for and I’ll still be within reasonable distance from my other 2 daughters here. The more we discussed it the more I realized that South Carolina is just going to put me too far away from what matters to me the most. Best of wishes to everyone. Perhaps one day I’ll get to visit Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area