Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2008, 11:22 AM

6 posts, read 26,617 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move my family from PA to Greenville. Have not had trouble finding work, but health insurance group plans have been outrageous. Currently I pay $20 a week for family coverage. I have looked into four companies in Greenville and have found the group rate to be from $100 to a high of $215 a week! This would be very difficult for me since my wife does not work. Are these high health insurance rates for group plans typical in Greenville? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 01:23 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,615,727 times
For family coverage, I pay about $540/month for decent insurance. My employer picks up more than half of the total premium. I have never heard of family coverage for $80/month - unless this was due to a VERY generous employer, state subsidies, or something else. Others I'm sure will chime in.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:33 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,007,983 times
Our contribution runs around $500/month. In Chattanooga it was about the same, in Maine it was considerably higher. It sounds like you have a very generous employer in PA. You may want to check out one of the cost of living calculators online just to check your other expenses.
jac

Old 02-07-2008, 04:35 PM

13 posts, read 64,155 times
Question Geez...

I don't work in Greenville I work in Anderson and the family rates where I work for insurance are 58$ biweekly. My boyfriend worked in Easley and his rates were 73$ family dental and all.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:08 PM

Default Possible Move to Greenville

Would the $58 bi-weekly include good BC/BS insurance. I have excellent insurance now, not BC/BS but equivalent (Health America/Health Assurance). It is not government subsidized. My employer pays about $166 a week. I pay the rest. There are people paying more here, perhaps as high as $70 a week. But it is not unusual for people to pay as low as I do and still get excellent insurance. Thank you everyone for your replies. Everything you have to say is helpful.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:33 PM

269 posts, read 1,011,354 times
744 a month for good coverage is still a good group rate! Rates will vary depending on the "risk" of the group and the zip code, it all depends on the rate tables. If you can't find good group you may want to look into HSA plans, or look for Group HSA employers, We pay 350 a month for a free standing HSA for Family.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:03 AM

Southerngentlemen, would you please tell me more about the group HSA. How do you get it? Is the coverage as good as BC/BS. Thank you.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:12 AM

269 posts, read 1,011,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsylvanian View Post
Southerngentlemen, would you please tell me more about the group HSA. How do you get it? Is the coverage as good as BC/BS. Thank you.
Group HSA's are provived by employers,usually smaller groups ,some plans are designed for under 50.
There is a " High deductable" health plan, the deductable varies from plan to plan , coupled with a Health Savings Account which is used to pay health care cost.
The employer can pay into this plan and contrubutions are non-taxed.
The benefits are many,
1.A lower health insurance cost
2. Greater flexability of coverage
3. Coverage of Major Health Risk while the individuals cover everyday cost
4. Discounts on drugs and office vists
5. HSA amounts roll over from year to year and grow tax free
6. at 65 the balance can be used as a retirement account

Ask HR departments if they offer this benefit, But I will warn you that these plans are fairly new in the Group setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area