Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2022, 09:46 AM

1,290 posts, read 782,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
The World According to Briggs

Watch his videos much?

In every introduction, he stresses that his opinions are just his opinions and that if you have a differing opinion he’d love for you to comment. Then he says, “Get it? Got it? Good!”

This video is his rundown of states he says are moving in the right direction, for those looking to move to a new state in 2023. He has South Carolina at number three, explaining that it’s because of the state’s cities.

He says Charleston and basically anything in the Lowcountry is your best bet.

https://youtu.be/o3EImHsIl1E
Think Briggs lived out in Oregon and grew up in Arizona. Would be surprised if he's been to SC.

Lot of You Tubers just aggregate opinions they see on forums and travel websites about cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2022, 02:24 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Wow. Never heard of Hendersonville, NC. Just did some Google Street View "cyber-tourism" and walked around. Gorgeous city! The wooded areas just to the west are beautiful, too. I "walked" up and down Laurel Park Highway on my PC here at the office and felt happy.

It's surprising it doesn't have a Target, though, given how populated the area around it is. Seems like it has almost every other big-box store. In terms of a relocation one big-box I absolutely want to live near is a Target. Otherwise I could do mom-and-pops for most other things and would be fine with things like ACE Hardware or Rural King or Tractor Supply Company or Menard's or whatnot in lieu of Lowe's (favorite home improvement big box store).
Yes, this is a beautiful area. We have a Target in Arden about 10 miles from here.

Old 10-22-2022, 02:26 PM

12,881 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
Think Briggs lived out in Oregon and grew up in Arizona. Would be surprised if he's been to SC.

Lot of You Tubers just aggregate opinions they see on forums and travel websites about cities.
If true that he’s never been to SC, then he was just blowing hot air and is not to be believed in the recent video in which he sang Greenville’s praises.

Old 10-22-2022, 02:35 PM

On Briggs’s website, he says he travels and films, and says, “Let’s have a beer when I’m in your hometown.” So he probably been to good ol’ SC.

Old 10-22-2022, 06:27 PM

46 posts, read 43,021 times
Quote:
I don't see Greenville residents posting on the cons of Charleston topic on the Charleston forum. That's surprising given your perception Greenville people disparage Charleston.
Isnt this what this thread is about? The OP cut and ran. " Old and busted.. New hotness"

What you dont see is anyone on the CHS Forum disparaging other towns or putting up some silly thread as this one. Most of us here in the Low Country are too polite for such things.

BTW... the leaves are changing beautifully on the Cypress, Swamp Oaks and Tupelo trees on Lake Marion at the moment.

Their reflections on the water with the Spanish moss hanging from them is so pretty... especially when you have a 30pound Blue catfish on the end of your line.

Dang! Apples and Oranges!!

Please carry on...

Old 10-23-2022, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
If true that he’s never been to SC, then he was just blowing hot air and is not to be believed in the recent video in which he sang Greenville’s praises.
He has a poll on one of his videos

What do you think the next popular/ boomtown will be?

Charleston, WV
10%
Murfreesboro, TN
8%
Chattanooga, TN
31%
Greenville, SC
33%
Columbus, OH
17%

I think Greenville and Columbus have been "boomtowns" for decades now. Columbus is the most populated city in Ohio and around no. 14 in the country. It is hard to believe he's familiar with Greenville.

Old 10-23-2022, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EutawSprings1992 View Post
Isnt this what this thread is about? The OP cut and ran. " Old and busted.. New hotness"

What you dont see is anyone on the CHS Forum disparaging other towns or putting up some silly thread as this one. Most of us here in the Low Country are too polite for such things.

BTW... the leaves are changing beautifully on the Cypress, Swamp Oaks and Tupelo trees on Lake Marion at the moment.

Their reflections on the water with the Spanish moss hanging from them is so pretty... especially when you have a 30pound Blue catfish on the end of your line.

Dang! Apples and Oranges!!

Please carry on...
Understand you are not familiar with the OP but he is perhaps the most critical person of Greenville on here. He's created a series of X in Greenville is depressing topics.

People drag SC all the time including our public schools which includes Charleston schools. His tongue in cheek comment on this topic is not similar to the tenor of those comments.

I don't think I've seen a list of best places in SC for fall color that included any places in Charleston other than one by a Charleston resident.

Poinsett State Park in Sumter is typically the only one east of Columbia. Charleston has more pines. What you should say is pines help soften the winter's cruel blow and keeps the area greener all year. Make lemonade out of lemons.

Relative to Charleston, Greenville is the new hotness in the state regarding tourism but was the first metro to boom in private sector economic development. Charleston is one of the oldest cities in the country if not the oldest. In a relative sense to the rest of the country, it was most prominent during the slave trade era.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 10-23-2022 at 08:25 AM..

Old 10-23-2022, 02:48 PM

46 posts, read 43,021 times
Really any place around here with oaks and other color changers is pretty nice this time of year. The cinnamon birch near my boat dock is changing and will be dropping its leaves soon (on the boat for me to clean up).

The Old Santee Canal Park on the Cooper River in Berkeley County is also popping at the moment and yes when mixed in with the conifers and moss they provide a beautiful contrast especially on the water. These last colder nights have done their job!

The Audubon/Francis Beidler Forest is also primed with acres of virgin cypress and tupelo trees in part of the four holes swamp. You may not be aware but they have free admission on each 2nd saturday of the month. Well worth a visit. That area is now part of the SC Underground RR designation where the enslaved escaped to freedom and chose to live in the safety of the secluded swamp rather than bondage.

Add a bald eagle perched on the top of a longleaf pine and an alligator surfacing nearby. Maybe a Green Anole scaling a Palmetto trunk and a big green tree frog under the boat seat... a good chicken bog. That is the Low Country!

Oranges!

Old 10-23-2022, 05:11 PM

I don't understand why you keep saying Greenville and Charleston are apples and oranges.

Nobody has said they are alike.

Old 10-23-2022, 07:33 PM

Quote:
He has a poll on one of his videos

What do you think the next popular/ boomtown will be?

Charleston, WV
10%
Murfreesboro, TN
8%
Chattanooga, TN
31%
Greenville, SC
33%
Columbus, OH
17%

I think Greenville and Columbus have been "boomtowns" for decades now. Columbus is the most populated city in Ohio and around no. 14 in the country. It is hard to believe he's familiar with Greenville.
As well as Greenville and Columbus have done, from the perspective of a well traveled videographer who thinks on a national scale, his poll was for the purpose of asking viewers their opinions on what the next really bigtime boom town will be, I feel quite sure. You could always drop him a line and ask him if he has really been to Greenville and if he’s really familiar with it. Even Charleston on a national scale is known more as a laidback tourist spot than as the boomtown that it has also been for decades. Perspective is key here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area