Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 04:24 PM

7 posts, read 19,755 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone knew about Hillcrest High in simpsonville. My child will be going there next year and just wondering if this is a good rated school. I have been looking into trhe charter schools as well but they are hard to get into.
I am concerned about gangs and violence and there teachers degrees? Does anyone have any experience or know anything about this school . Just looking for honest answers.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 04:31 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,039,354 times
It's an excellent school. Arguably one of the best in the county. Unfortunately, they are grossly overcrowded. So much so, that if you live a certain distance away (even if in their 'zone'), they force you to a different school. When I couldn't get my own kids into the school, they forced us to send them 15 miles to Woodmont High near Piedmont, even though we lived in Fountain Inn.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:42 PM

Wow I live in simpsonville and only have experience in the middle and elementary schools. Do you know if there are a lot of violence at this school and hard to fit in ? The middle school has had some problems past few years
just thought that might be true with the high school as well. What good things have you seen? My child is zoned their but I am nervous with what I have been told about all the violence and drugs but you never know if it is true or not. I know Bryson has drugs and they even have those fights in schools on youtube as well. So I know that school is not one I recommend but maybe it is just every where. Is Hillcrest teachers highly qualified? Verses a charter school? Is there racial issues like the middle school has had ?

Old 05-02-2008, 06:24 PM

105 posts, read 391,642 times
As I stated on another thread, I am not really an expert on schools, but have heard that Hillcrest is a very good school. Due to the growth in the area though, there is a lot of overcrowding (like another poster mentioned). Good luck.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:40 PM

835 posts, read 2,308,247 times
Someone told me recently it was just a place to fight but he could've been exaggerating.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:56 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,547,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
Someone told me recently it was just a place to fight but he could've been exaggerating.
Team rivalry after a game between Mauldin and Hillcrest at Mauldin was said to be a factor in a shooting that took place in front of Big Lots in Mauldin a few months ago. I never heard about any injury in that shooting.

Both schools have the same types of problems but I believe that Hillcrest has more instances of them than Mauldin does.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:59 PM

642 posts, read 2,090,385 times
Hillcrest is over all a pretty good school. They are a bit over crowded and they do have some problems. But it is way better then woodmont that is for sure!

Old 05-02-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherinsc26 View Post
Hillcrest is over all a pretty good school. They are a bit over crowded and they do have some problems. But it is way better then woodmont that is for sure!
That is what I've heard too.

Check out the school reports. If you don't know how to do that DM me for a link.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
It's an excellent school. Arguably one of the best in the county. Unfortunately, they are grossly overcrowded. So much so, that if you live a certain distance away (even if in their 'zone'), they force you to a different school. When I couldn't get my own kids into the school, they forced us to send them 15 miles to Woodmont High near Piedmont, even though we lived in Fountain Inn.
Did you then have to provide the transportation, Frankie117?

Old 05-03-2008, 06:57 AM

I have gone to Great schools.net but there are no reviews. Is there a better site ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area