Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2011, 03:28 PM

244 posts, read 644,888 times

Advertisements

Hi ya'll,

We switched our Greenville move date to June --- and will be looking for a rental to begin on June 15th.

I see another thread below with terrific links to housing/rental options. I appreciate that and will check out all those sites.

I hope you don't mind if I start my own specific thread because I know it's only March, but I really want to make sure I have an apartment lined up as soon as possible. Actually, I'm hopeful that someone on this forum personally knows of an apartment that they could recommend -- or perhaps you know of a great realtor you can recommend -- or just about any advice would be wonderful.

AREA:
Greenville, preferably downtown in the Augusta Rd / West End or North Main areas (but we are open to other parts of G'ville so long as it's considered a safe area)

SIZE:
2-3 Bedrooms
2+ Bathrooms

Must have Central AC
and Washer/Dryer facilities

RENT: Can't go higher than $1200 and would ideally like to be around $900.

We have pets, so dogs must be OK. No children, though. Just 2 adults.
I have owned and sold a few houses in my life already, but I have been renting for the past 2 years and can provide references - we can even provide refs for our dogs, who are mature (8+ yrs old) and very well behaved.

I'm nervous about packing up our U-HAUL and arriving in Greenville to an apartment sight unseen but my mother is in the area (Brevard) and she will be able to check things out for me and hand over our deposit payment/checks, etc.

I have been looking on craigslist but am finding many of those listings to be fake or some sort of scam. I have replied to 4 of them and never hear anything back. Since I'm not looking for a big apartment complex out in the suburbs it seems craigslist was a good source but I'm not having much luck there, and frankly, craigslist seems sketchy.

Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 04:51 AM

4 posts, read 5,335 times
Apartment ratings web site was a good place for me when I was looking.We first moved to century forest also known as halton place. Couldn't wait for the lease to be up and to get out.Started looking again, found apartment ratings and we are very happy at estates at bellwood. I am sure you can find people that like and dislike every apartment in the area so this is just my opinion.Send me a direct message if I could be of any help. We have moved twice in the last year and have looked at many apartments in the last year. I have lived in greenvile for over 30 years and am preaty familiar with most areas.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:23 AM

49 posts, read 82,025 times
Good morning!

We will be moving from out of state later this month and had been investigating apartments for months prior to our move. We were there last weekend and finalized our plans, so I'm happy to share my experience with you.

Our needs sound nearly identical to yours. We very much wanted to be downtown or North Main with 2-3 bedrooms and we also have two well behaved dogs. We found it very difficult to find anything acceptable in the price range you mentioned - and we were even willing to go a bit higher.

Here's a list of where we ultimately looked and our thoughts. All of these would be within your price range and allow pets for an additional fee:

Preserve at Wood Lake - liked it but there was limited in availability and not all units were renovated. The area is okay but no sidewalks. Close to Haywood Mall

Plantations at Haywood - an older property, but the newer units were okay. Definitely in or slightly below your price range. I had some concerns about the community in general (they said they don't limit daytime access to pools, etc).

The Carlyle - a nice gated property near Haywood. Nice community, but no sidewalks. Would not hesitate to rent here if you like the area.

Walden Creek - a little bit further out on Woodruff. Really nice newer apartments and community. Traffic was heavy in the area. Sidewalks were available outside the community along Woodruff Road.

Verandas at the Point - nice, new community. Many of the units have never been lived in. Nice amenities and we found their staff to be the nicest and most accommodating of all the communities. Just off Woodruff (about .75 mile) at the I-85 intersection with a 6.5 mile loop of sidewalks between Woodruff Road and ICAR. Little traffic passing the community at the various times of day we checked. Convenient to everything we could need, including downtown - about 10 minute drive.

Again, we really wanted to be downtown too, but just couldn't find anything in that price range that would allow dogs during the window in which we needed it. I trolled Craigslist daily, but we had to know we had a place to move into when we got there, so we couldn't hold out until we arrive and most places I saw rented quickly (if they weren't one of the many scams!). If we were local, I'm sure it would be easier.

If you have any questions about any of the places we looked or what we found, don't hesitate to message me. I'm happy to help since we just went through it!

Old 03-05-2011, 12:32 PM

244 posts, read 644,888 times
response to ddl and slowasmolasses:

THANK YOU BOTH SO MUCH!!! I can't even tell you how grateful I am.

I probably will send you both private messages in a day or two -- so thanks in advance for offering that.

If you are looking back here -- what are your thoughts on Simpsonville? I have had someone email me directly from Craigslist about a house they have for rent in Simpsonville. I don't know if it's a scam yet. But from memory I think Simpsonville is about 15 mins south of G'ville and a big sprawling cookie cutter type community. I don't really care about the cookie cutter neighborhoods, but I don't want to be stuck somewhere that feels way too suburban or really takes more than 15 mins to get into town (because I'm told there can be some traffic in the Woodruff area and I think Simpsonville is out past Woodruff).

Slowasmolasses, Verandas at the Point sounds nice. When it comes to complexes like that I think newest is bestest :-) Is the Trader Joe's and Whole Foods Market both in the Woodruff area shopping center?

From what I'm seeing lately, everything truly downtown is way overpriced and rather sketchy. Some of the houses on Craigslist look nearly condemned (!) and if I'm being honest, as much as I'd love to live right downtown, I don't want to spend several hundred dollars more each month for a tiny place. The shame is that I've love to be able to walk around downtown and take advantage of all those pretty parks and trails. Oh well.

Sounds like sidewalks are an issue outside of downtown....that's a little weird! I'll get used to it.

Again, thank you, thank you, thank you both!

Old 03-05-2011, 03:18 PM

5,596 posts, read 15,410,411 times
Does anyone know if McBee Station (http://www.mcbee-station.com/apartments.htm - broken link) allows pets?

Edit: Nevermind, they are priced above the original poster's limit.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:08 PM

Hi Skyliner ~ They do allow pets (and we found them to be really accommodating about them when we talked during our first visit last summer). They're more expensive and they also are usually at full capacity, so it's somewhat difficult to find an available apartment when you're looking to move - or so we found.

Otherwise, it's a great community from what we experienced!

Also, just to answer wanderer's questions: I don't know much about Simpsonville or any area other than the ones in which we looked at apartments, so I apologize for not being much help there. As for WF and TJ, though...WF is at the end of the road that Verandas is on. We walked it one morning just to see how it would be and the walk was simple. TJ is just on the other side of 85. Both are super convenient. We were really happy with how convenient most things were to that location - across Woodruff are restaurants, Best Buy, Lowes, Talbots, the Loft, and lots of other options for shopping and eating.

Sounds like we've had pretty similar experiences with the DT looking and driving around in the North Main area last weekend didn't turn up much for us either. Feel free to message me anytime with questions - I'm really happy to help!

Old 03-05-2011, 07:31 PM

3 posts, read 7,183 times
Slowasmolasses, we also are moving to G'ville at the end of the month and trying to find a place on the internet. Did you check out a place called Rosemont at Patewood? or The Vinings at Roper Mtn.. If so any thoughts on those two.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:46 AM

Hi justsmith ~

We checked Rosemont out online and excluded them from our final list to visit. We did meet a guy during our visit who lives there and he liked them but was not renewing his lease in favor of a newer community. He mentioned that they had renovated many (if not all) of the units and they had updated appliances. His even had stainless. They do not have anything larger than a 2 bedroom however.

We did not visit or consider Vinings, and I cannot remember exactly why.

One of the things that I found was that many of the online listings portray a much different community than what you see in person. I know that's the case with many things, but we found that in several cases the community looked and sounded great but upon drive-by, it wasn't what we were looking for.

If you have any other questions, just ask! And good luck - we'll see you in Greenville at the end of the month!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area