Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2009, 08:21 AM

16 posts, read 42,716 times

Advertisements

im going to repost this because the first time i had wrong info in the first post.... Me, my wife, and out 19 month son are really considering moving greensboro,ws or one of the burbs of either city this november ..... we found a really nice house on the west side of gso .... but its hard to find school info and crime info on the city .... We live in a burb of cleveland ohio now ...avon lake is a nice little town with decent schools and no crime 20 mins to downtown cleveland i would love to find something like this in NC .... my wife thinks because were from the north people wont really treat us well but i told here that there is tons of people from the north there already and the southern folk are nicer then people here in ohio anyway haha ..... and suggestions would be great .... we are thinking out westside of gso , kenersville would be perfect though it seems 20 mins from gso and ws and good schools with low crime ... thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,471 times
Hi, I read your posts. I would agree with what you said for the most part- shoot for neighborhoods above Bryan Blvd in GSO. I've heard good things about Kernersville and nothing negative. One caveat- come down and spend about a week getting to know the area. GSO reminds me alot of Akron in its size and character. Raleigh- reminds me of Columbus. I'm less familiar with WS, but have heard it described as more progressive of the Triad.

Folks are cordial- upper income and those with deeper ties to the region seem less so. Church is big down here so there are a lot of good churches in the area- with great family programming.
If you are from Avon Lake then the Bryan Blvd/Guilford College area is whatcha want- I would even say it is more diverse than where you are from. Oh- 2 things- ton of Ohioans here and the cost of living is about 10-20% higher down here.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:59 PM

54 posts, read 130,150 times
listen to your wife. She is 100% correct.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:38 AM

138 posts, read 418,974 times
sandnsea2 is completely wrong... I'm a northerner too and when my wife and I moved here from Pittsburgh 8 years ago, we fit in just fine. You shouldn't have any problem adjusting to life in the south. This area has a ton of transplants from all over the country. There's even a Browns & Buckeyes fan club that watches the games at The Box Seat sportsbar in Greensboro on Saturdays and Sundays.

Good luck with your move.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:51 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8aarons View Post
im going to repost this because the first time i had wrong info in the first post.... Me, my wife, and out 19 month son are really considering moving greensboro,ws or one of the burbs of either city this november ..... we found a really nice house on the west side of gso .... but its hard to find school info and crime info on the city .... We live in a burb of cleveland ohio now ...avon lake is a nice little town with decent schools and no crime 20 mins to downtown cleveland i would love to find something like this in NC .... my wife thinks because were from the north people wont really treat us well but i told here that there is tons of people from the north there already and the southern folk are nicer then people here in ohio anyway haha ..... and suggestions would be great .... we are thinking out westside of gso , kenersville would be perfect though it seems 20 mins from gso and ws and good schools with low crime ... thanks
As for getting along with the natives, I know a lot of mid-westerners in this neck of the woods, almost all are really nice folks, ...they do talk funny, though! Guilford county schools are good, I would tend more to the eastern side of GSO, Alamance Co. Schools are good also, Orange Co, has excellent schools. Alamance Co = Burlington & Graham. Orange Co = Mebane (east side thereof), Chapel Hill, Cary. This entire area is, well, better educated. Duke University, UNC - Chapel Hill, Wake Forest U. , UNC - Greensboro, N.C. A&T State University, N.C. Central University, Elon University, Guilford College, Greensboro College, Bennett College, N.C. State University, all within about a 50 mile radius of Burlington. The local schools get the benefit of student teachers. Personally, I would suggest the east side of Mebane, quiet, good community envolvement, friendly, excellent Mexican Restaurant, a couple of coffee shops and two bookstores, but, where you work will greatly impact where you will call home.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:19 PM

51 posts, read 82,872 times
So I know this is an old post but I am really REALLY happy to know that greensboro has a Browns fan club at box seat....My fiancé & I are moving to gbo in July from Clev & we are HUGE Browns fans!!! Thank you for the info!!!!

Old 06-09-2013, 07:34 PM

5 posts, read 26,312 times
We too are Browns fans and we are worried about not being welcomed or treated like outsiders. We have a business opportunity in the west end of Winston Salem...More upscale, upper income folks with deep ties to area...Are we going to have problems?

Old 06-10-2013, 07:26 PM

51 posts, read 82,872 times
I don't think you will, we've visited down there quite a bit now & everyone is SOO friendly.. Being from up north I think if someone was that nice they would be thought as a creeper..sad as that is. I think our biggest worry is making sure we've picked a relatively low crime area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point