Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2010, 06:46 PM

23 posts, read 27,964 times

Advertisements

hello forum,

we're a young african american family (early 30's, 2 boys-8 and 1) who's looking for a change of scenery. we've decided on north carolina because of location. we want to be close to the bigger cities but without the big city living. nc is centraled around the states and cities we would like to visit (va,dc,md,pa,ny, ga,fl).
we have the opportunity to relocate with my current employer (banking) but i'm working on a career change and getting a certification in a trade (electrical mechanic) with a hobby in music.
my wife is a licensed hairstylist looking to further her career with a hobby in poetry and writing/reading.
we're trying to decide on what city we should focus our energy on. outside of our professions, we have to consider housing (3bdrm, aprtment,twnhomes or houses) education (elementary schools) daycare, after school/kids programs,communities, etc.

any information and/resources would be greatly appreciated. i've been skimming through these forums for a couple of days, and the info shared brought us some comfort in our decision to pick NC as our new home. thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 07:06 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,701,985 times
Don't know what to say. You've read the other topics. You're apparently limiting your search to the Piedmont region. If you're not restricted by where your job(s) will be, what other criteria would you want to consider? Would being near a specific interstate (i.e. I-95, I-77, I-85, I-40) be important? Which of those areas you regularly visit do you want the easier access to (VA, DC, MD, PA, NY, or FL, or GA)? Is a proximity to certain sports or colleges important? Is it more important to be closer to the mountains or to the beaches?

Old 12-04-2010, 07:31 PM

23 posts, read 27,964 times
we have not visited yet (we plan to around spring). being relatively close to an interstate would good. we would definitely being visiting the nothern states, so being accessible to the interstate would be a plus.
i'm not limited to where my job per se, it's just a matter of me securing the job first, so i can apply for a position in Greensboro, tho i'm not guaranteed i'll get it. so with that, we are keeping our options open to other location in NC if in the event our first option falls through. this move is a first for us and we're trying to take all necessities into proper consideration.
not interested in being close to the mountains or the beaches (though we intend to visit the beach, maybe once or twice a year, not a big priority)
sports/colleges (not a priority at the present. maybe in a few years but by then we may relocate again and colleges will weigh heavier in our considerations)
job markets
community is a priority
elementary/mid/high schools is a concern
after school/kids programs and daycare
within proximity to grocery stores, hospitals, general stores, etc.
these considerations are at the top of our priority list.

Greensboro has been the focus of our research. i guess i'm looking for the differences between those cities as i may not get a job in Greensboro, but maybe Charlotte or somewhere in the triangle instead.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,724 times
Have you seen this ad?

Condo for Sale/Rent Burlington NC

Near I85/I40 exit 141. 15 minutes from the new Tanger Outlet Mall. Easy access to Raleigh/Durham and Greensboro/Winston Salem.

Safe and quiet community near local shopping malls, and restaurants, Alamance Regional Hospital.

Good Schools: Smith Elementary, Turrentine Middle, and Walter Williams High School.

Great Community to raise kids and or retire and have a active family life.

Located on the top floor. 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, garden tub in master bedroom, fireplace, great room with vaulted ceilings, and all kitchen appliances included.

If ready to rent the price range will be between $650-$700.

If ready to buy, the price is negotiable.

To schedule any viewings please email bgstephe@triad.rr.com.

The place in ready to be moved into.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:24 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,940,660 times
young family moving to NC, undecided on local(gboro,hp, queencity,raleigh durham?)

Perhaps the Burlington/Graham area may be of interest, it is betwixt Raleigh, Durham, and Greensboro, easy access to any of the three, close to Asheboro and the state Zoo, depending on traffic about 3 hours to either the coast or the mountains. Easy access to N.C. State University (Raleigh) U of N.C. @ Chapel Hill, or Greensboro, Duke University, Wake Forest University, N.C. A&T University, N.C. Central University, Elon University;........and........believe it or not, there are all sorts of banks in this area. For the most part, the weather is nice, also a well educated section of the state......AND....... In case you were not aware, Basketball is pretty close to being the state religion. Go Heels!!!!! N.C. also has a fairly extensive community college system, Alamance Community College (in Burlington) is part of it.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:48 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,058,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
young family moving to NC, undecided on local(gboro,hp, queencity,raleigh durham?)

Perhaps the Burlington/Graham area may be of interest, it is betwixt Raleigh, Durham, and Greensboro, easy access to any of the three, close to Asheboro and the state Zoo, depending on traffic about 3 hours to either the coast or the mountains. Easy access to N.C. State University (Raleigh) U of N.C. @ Chapel Hill, or Greensboro, Duke University, Wake Forest University, N.C. A&T University, N.C. Central University, Elon University;........and........believe it or not, there are all sorts of banks in this area. For the most part, the weather is nice, also a well educated section of the state......AND....... In case you were not aware, Basketball is pretty close to being the state religion. Go Heels!!!!! N.C. also has a fairly extensive community college system, Alamance Community College (in Burlington) is part of it.
Your profile is similar to mine and for that reason i stronglly recomend Charlotte. It is big city, very progressive towards african-americans(and everyone else), big city amenities, more activities for the family(especially african-american), and a large professional young crowd( 25 and up). I honestly think that your children will ahve a better experience in Charlotte( i have a 7year old and a 1 year old). If I was finished with grad school i would move back to Charlotte in a heartbeat!!

Old 12-14-2010, 08:38 AM

7 posts, read 17,357 times
I'm also a young african american (28) with a 1 yr old toddler. I am waiting to hear back from a position I interviewed for in Greensboro, and because the job is in Greensboro, I don't have the option of living in Charlotte. If you find any good info regarding Greensboro, as far as daycares and affordable places to rent, please share! And I will do the same!

Last edited by korismama; 12-14-2010 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 12-15-2010, 07:21 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,831,520 times
I say this with all sincerity...North Carolina is a very staunch/conservative state. Also it is geared toward families as opposed to singles. If you are in to driving little Johnny or Sally to soccer practice everyday and then mall hopping on Saturday...this is the state for you... Lame nightlife; Not enough diversity.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point