Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2010, 12:03 PM

11 posts, read 36,957 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are a young-ish caucasian family (late 30's), with 2 children ages 8 and 6. My husbands new job with American Express is requiring a move to Greensboro from NJ, and we need some help deciding on where to settle.

The job is in Greesboro, but would like to live anywhere in the surrounding area, no more than 45 min-1 hr. commute. I would like good schools, and a "happening" feel to the town. I grew up in NJ and we once lived in Camden, Maine, which was beautiful but a little too "slow" for me, great shopping was too far away. We like convenience, but don't want to live IN a city, as we would like a nice home with a yard for the kids. We would like a house in the 300-450 range, and fairly close to Interstates and an airport, as we travel a lot. My family is in Northern FL, and we vacation in OBX as well. We love to entertain and be entertained, go out to dinner in restaurants, see shows. I think we may want to be in between Greensboro and Charlotte?? Or perhaps east of Greesboro? Burlington?

I am excited about this new move (and the better cost of living!), but hope we can find something that is not too much of an extreme from what I have known and loved about the Northeast.

Any advice would be apreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 07:21 PM

45 posts, read 90,406 times
We too are looking into a move from NY to NC. I hope you can get some help on these forums. I've just been trying to read up as much as possible. I have found this site very informative and people very generous with their personal experiences. Good luck on your move.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:54 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,658,517 times
I'm confused. If the job is where I think it is, why not just live in Greensboro? There are a whole bunch of great neighborhoods all around the Bryan Blvd. area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemap View Post
I would like good schools, and a "happening" feel to the town.
Check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemap View Post
We like convenience, but don't want to live IN a city, as we would like a nice home with a yard for the kids. We would like a house in the 300-450 range, and fairly close to Interstates and an airport...We love to entertain and be entertained, go out to dinner in restaurants, see shows
Why do you believe that any of those requirements would be in conflict if you lived in Greensboro?

Old 12-14-2010, 08:35 AM

69 posts, read 165,068 times
Hi Alemap,
Have you looked into Jamestown? Jamesford Meadows comes to mind for your price range - many homes to choose from in the 325-375K range and above, and some of these have nice, 1-acre lots with decent sized back yards. If you're talking more acreage than that, I'd have to rethink where would be a good place. It just depends on how far you're willing to drive. Maybe look out in Browns Summit or Summerfield as well for some nice homes on bigger lots but that puts you in the opposite direction of Charlotte if that's important to you. There are also a lot of new shopping centers and outlets cropping up in Burlington & Mebane - I live between Greensboro & Burlington in a little town called Gibsonville - best of both worlds as we can go into Greensboro or Burlington for shopping, dining, etc. Hope this helps! ~Zane

Old 12-14-2010, 11:37 AM

11 posts, read 36,957 times
Default Thanks! Any more suggestions?

Thank you for the replies! Please, keep them coming, any help is appreciated!

superk-I really don't know anything about any of the cities/towns in the area, including Greensboro. If Greensboro has what we are looking for-great! I didn't know if Greensboro was more of a "city" and we would want to live on the outskirts or what, or where. I guess I should not have made that assumption? Of course, I am sure a lot more of this will make sense to us once we are able to get down to check out the areas.

Zane-thank you for the suggestions! I think that schools are my first priority. Any suggestions on where the better school systems in the area are? An acre of yard soounds nice to me! The area that you are in sounds nice, I think I would rather be more east than west. I just didn't know if Charlotte would have more to offer, citywise?

NYbound4NC-and good luck to you! I am very excited for this move. Though I will miss Jersey, I am looking forward to a new experience.

Pamela

Old 12-15-2010, 08:06 AM

69 posts, read 165,068 times
Hi Pamela,
Because I'm a licensed real estate agent, I can't give my opinion about which schools are good, but there are several sites such as GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community and NC School Report Cards that will help you glean some helpful info. Based on the price range, lot size and what you seem to be looking for in schools, I'd say to focus on the Northwest part of Guilford County - that's where the majority of the homes in your price range would be located, and I think you'd like the area & schools (Oak Ridge, Summerfield, Browns Summit). These can feel somewhat rural, but still within a 10-20 minute drive to Greensboro. That's why I mentioned Jamesofrd Meadows which is 'closer to everything'. Hope this helps!

Zane

Old 05-12-2011, 12:10 PM

13 posts, read 29,729 times
Alemap

did you make it to NC? How is it compared to NJ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point